“An Oasis for the Weary Business Traveller”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Pan Pacific Manila

Pan Pacific Manila
Ranked #1 of 109 Hotels in Manila
Vancouver, Canada
“An Oasis for the Weary Business Traveller”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2013

I have travelled the world and the service received at the Pan Pacific Manila is THE BEST without question. Everyone is very respectful, courteous and no request was denied. I was made to feel welcome during my entire stay.

The room (with king bed), had a work desk, comfy bed (pillow menu available and super soft sheets) and decadent bathroom (with soaker tub if I wanted). Ample storage, tastefully decorated and clean. I received a lovely plate of sweets on my first night (to welcome me), including a couple of phone calls asking if I needed anything. And the butler service was fantastic. My only comment on the service though. I was awoken at 7:55 AM by a knock on the door. It was the butler asking if I needed anything (no because I was sleeping!) If you don't want to be disturbed, just set the 'Do No Disturb' light on your door.

The room service was fast and food delicious. The breakfast buffet - WOW! This was included in my room rate and what a selection. Fantastic and tasty.

Watch the taxi drivers - they sometimes don't reset the meter to zero from the last fare.

The location (Malate) is good for the business traveller. I wouldn't likely bring my family for a holiday, based on the location of the hotel. It is a bit 'gritty'. In general (and not just at the Pan Pacific), there are armed guards, metal detectors and K-9 dogs (bomb detection) which may be a little off putting for some. Having said that, I never felt unsafe but you do need to be sensible and careful. Especially when walking. There are no sidewalks and cars have very little street etiquette.

Filipinos are beautiful people - very hard working, appreciative of what they have and I am always glad to visit. Every opportunity I have to tip, I do.

Room Tip: Choose a floor that is on a higher level (for noise) and one with a working desk if you are a busine...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Javagirl08
RMasselin, General Manager at Pan Pacific Manila, responded to this review, June 30, 2013
Mabuhay and thank you for your GREAT feedback,

Wonderful to read that we have fully exceeded your expectations and for recognizing us as one of the BEST!

I am glad you truly enjoyed our facilities and service including our breakfast experience at the pacific lounge .

I shall definitely share your wonderful comments with our butlers for their encouragements and continued learning and growth.
(Sorry about the 7:55 am service call ....!!!!. we will review this indeed)

Hope you will returrn to us soon, and continue to be loyal to our Brand.

If we can be of any further assistance at the moment please just let me know and feel free to contact me directly.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon ! Richard and Team.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (171)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Orford, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013

Recently we stayed here for a week with our young family and parents. The service was amazing and nothing was to much trouble. The children thought they were in heaven with the amazing buffet breakfast......there was lots of discussion to what we be having the next day. The pool was lovely and again the staff there were very attentive. The location was fabulous being close to lots of restaurants and big shopping malls. All in all it was a beautiful hotel and would definitely stay there again when in Manila. Our trip to Manila was to look at a charity that my family has been donating to, so it was business and a family holiday.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Amelia E
RMasselin, General Manager at Pan Pacific Manila, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Dear Valued guest, Mabuhay and Thank your for recognizing our Butlers.

Proud to read that you and the enire family truly enjoyed a week long stay with us!
Thank yo for your wonderful comment over your breakfast and pool experience

Great feelings for us to know that we have truly exceeded your expectations and created a memorable experience for the whole family and the kids.

I will share your wonderful comments with our butlers for their encouragements and due recognition.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2013

Came here after having a 5star experience last time, booked the same grade room and was disappointed. Last time got a window from floor to ceiling and a view from bedroom and bathroom. This time had a dark room with tiny window and no view, rooms dated and hadn't had any work in the 6 years I've last visited. On the upside the restaurant on the 20th floor was amazing and staff were great - would I go back, maybe but will probably try the H2O - Chris

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank Chros80
RMasselin, General Manager at Pan Pacific Manila, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Dear Valued guest, Mabuhay and Greetings from Manila!

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback on our facilities and services.

I am glad to read that you truly enjoyed our facility and service at our 21 st floor lounge and dinning. On the other hand I am surprised and disappointed that we did not meet your expectations with the room category selected for this stay.
All our rooms were renovated 2 years ago now and we have received excellent feedback on the upgrades of the facility. It is true that several room do not offer lavish views of the bay and have smaller windows than the rest of our inventory.
I hope you willl will definitely give us the opportunity to be of service again as we truly offer great value and strive at providing one of if not the best service in Manila.

I shall definitely share your comments with our butlers for their encouragements and due recognition.

Hope you will returrn to us soon.

Warmest regards Richard .
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2013

I have nothing but good things to say about this hotel and their staff. I'll start with landing in Manila.

After a 12 hour flight from Chicago to Tokyo, an hour layover, and 5 hour flight from Tokyo to Manila, we were all exhausted. Originally my husband and I, and my mom were booked for two different rooms at Riviera Mansion. It looked okay on from the website, and the prices were pretty cheap. But we ended up getting what we paid for. Riviera Mansion is across a casino and next to what I assume were strip joints. Obviously we never saw these things on their website, and had we known that that was the area we were going to be in we would not have chosen the hotel. After almost a full day tof traveling in planes all three of us were exhausted, wanted the comforts of home, and none of us even hesitated for a moment before cancelling our reservation at Riviera Mansion and opting to find a different hotel. We first stopped at the Diamond Hotel. It looked great at first, and the price reflected it. BUT it came out to about $360 USD per room. Further scrutiny of amenties showed a lot of nickel-and-diming (you pay for internet by the hour-- say what?!). So us three decided to look elsewhere. Finally we came to Pan-Pacific. The price was more expensive than Rivera Mansion, but less than Diamond hotel. Either way the price more than acceptable for their services, and I would have gladly paid more for Pan Pacific because I was that satisfied with their services. And unlike Diamond hotel, there was no nickel and diming for anything, and internet and welcome drinks were completely free, our breakfasts were free every morning (more on breakfast later) and the compassion and level of attentiveness that the staff had was through the roof-- and you can never put a price on that. Also it is noteworthy to mention that the language was never barrier here, everyone spoke very good English.

We were in a standard room, but if definitely looked like a much much better room. Spacious rooms, comfortable beds (albeit firm-- but that is the standard in Asia). The all marble bathroom had an all glass shower with marble and good water pressure, a beautiful tub surrounded by mirrors and had a TV. The rooms were clean, the AC was powerful, the pool downstairs was big, and the gym, although not the biggest, was quite beautiful. Top of the line equipment in an all glass room overlooking the city.

Now onto food. I personally am a BIG foodie, I absolutely love my food, and I take great pride in saying I LOVED the food here. Breakfast was included for all three of us every morning. The breakfasts were simply superb. It was continental with a menu that changed daily but always kept the classic staples (fresh baguettes, crossaints, assorted yogurt, french toast, congee, miso soup, etc etc), but also had new dishes every day (premium cuts of fish, meats, carved turkey, roast beef, chicken, sushi, gourmet desserts), as well as an omlette and waffle station. There was also a good assorment of fresh fruits, juices, veggies and cheeses that changed every day. The view was gorgeous and the service was amazing. They also offered a lunch buffet too which was just as amazing and while not included in the price of our room, the price came out to be about $15 USD, which was definitely an amazing price for what we were getting. We had lunch a couple times here (we usually ate out for lunch and all the time for dinner). Both times were amazing :).

I actually need to take a few minutes to recognize a few of the male staff members here (I say male specifically because while overall the staff members were great, all of the staff members that went above and beyond were always male). I'm taking this time to recognize specific members, but overall these are the staff members that I'm sure most anyone who stays at this hotel will more than likely experience for themselves/encompassed some key service experiences while staying here :).

1) John was one of our waiters who took notice that I loved fresh fruit and piled my plates with it, especially fresh fruit that was indigenous to the Philippines that I could never get in Chicago. As a result, every morning that he was working and saw me he would go out of his way to bring over a plate of fresh cut fruit that often had fruit that wasn't even in the buffet.

2) Maki was another one of our waiters who went above and beyond. He was very kind and was very attentive, especially to my husband! One morning I came up for breakfast before my husband and Maki inquired quite concerned about my husband to make sure he was okay, and if not if there was anything he could do :)

3) Yacub/Jacob worked the omlette station, and my mother had specific dietary restrictions that she questioned Yacub/Jacob who happened to be stationed right next to the dishes she had questions about. He went above and out of his way to make sure that everything was acceptable for my mom to eat, not only on that day, but the rest of our stay as well. This blew my mind since tecnically speaking, its not his job to go above and beyond for this. He could have easily reffered us to any of the other staff. But he didn't. And we were gracious.

4) A staff memeber by the name of Boy. As mentioned before I love food and I especially love trying fruit I've never tried it before. Before coming on the trip I knew I wanted to try Mangosteen. It's available in the Phillipines but not in Chicago. My mom had asked a female waitress where we would be able to find Mangosteen to buy, but she was no help (she had no idea what a mangosteen even was =/). I told my mom it was no big deal and I'm sure we'll find it later on when we go to the local markets. Within 5 minutes however a man named Boy came over to the table with a plate full of cut mangosteen. He said that he was passing by our table when he overheard my mom inquiring about the mangosteen to the waitress. He apologized for not having more mangosteen than what was on the plate (even though it was plenty!), and presented the plate full of fresh cut mangosteen and a smile. I was floored by this gesture. And this gesture alone would make me want to come back here again.

5) One of the bartenders. Okay. I feel absoultely horrible not remembering this kind man's name. But if any of the Pan Pacific staff is reading this, he was a young guy who was working on June 12, 2013 between 8-10 PM, the night we arrived, as well as other nights. I feel absolutely horrible not remembering his name because he was that great of a bartender. He was kind, attentive, and went above and beyond to accommodate even my most ludicrious drink requests. Despite how ridiculous it was (seriously, some of my drink requests usually baffle most bartenders and they have no idea how to make it), he always knew how to make it, made it perfectly and beautifully without so much as a moments hesitation. He was especially great to my mom as well. She had a routine of some sorts. She would order the same drink (Four Seasons) and would sit in a specific chair to order her drink. This amazing bartender was sharp and caught on quick. When he would see my mom, he already knew to make this specific drink for my mom, and before my mom could barely open the menu to order her the same drink she always did, it would already be ready for her! How's that for service? Especially when God knows how many customers walk through the lobby every day?

6) Ameil/ the rest of the reception staff: There are three important events I want to shed light on here

6a) My husband's birthday was actually on the last day at Pan Pacific and they staff brought out a wonderful strawberry cheesecake slice out for him for brunch. I know what you are thinking, "So what? Any restaurant will do something like that if you ask them to". And I have to agree. However, I guarantee you that no other place will have another staff member knock on your door later on in the evening (shortly after they greeted us in the lobby when they saw that we returned back to our room after being out the entire day), greeting us with a smile and a full 9 inch chocolate cake saying "Happy Birthday sir, this is from the staff :-)". Now between my husband and I, we have stayed at a good share of luxury hotels (Ritz Carlton anyone?), and this gesture alone would have been enough to blow my mind past the "standard" for luxury hotels. But of course, it wasn't the only gesture that blew us away.

6b) I ended up getting really bad motion sickness one day after coming back from a day trip and i felt absolutely horrible. The staff was attentive and made it a consistent effort to check up on me throughout the day to make sure I was doing okay through my husband and my mom to see if there was anything that they could get me. At one point they even sent up a nurse with some motion sickness medicine that helped me feel better.

6c) When we checked out of the hotel to leave we had arranged a private shuttle from the hotel to take us to the airport. However we didn't make it past the gate of the hotel and were stopped by the staff. It turned out my husband left a pair of shorts in the room we checked out of. I was pretty impressed that the staff checked out the room within minutes after we left to make sure we didn't forget anything.

Overall I think I covered this hotel pretty well. It was a home away from home, and when I come back to Manila I would definitely want to stay here again. If anyone from Pan Pacific reads this, just keep these standards my mom, husband, and I experienced when we were here and we'll definitely come back.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Mz M
RMasselin, General Manager at Pan Pacific Manila, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Dear Valued guest, Mabuhay and Greetings from Manila!

Thank you for taking the time to provide your wonderful and lenghty appreciation of our facilities and services.

Proud to read that you truly enjoyed the modern comfort of our room and facilities, as well as the friendly and genuine caring of our butlers.

I shall definitely share your wonderful comments and details of service with our butlers for their encouragements and continued learning and growth.

Great feelings for us to know that we have truly exceeded your expectations and created a memorable experience for you while staying with us.

Hope you will returrn to us soon, so thank you for being loyal to our Brand.

Newcastle, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2013

Stayed at this hotel while attending a 3 day meeting in Manilla. The service was excellent, friendly reception staff, and a welcome drink in the lobby. The room was lovely – big bed with crisp clean sheets, very comforting. There was a beautiful deep bath in the bathroom.
The hotel provided a great location to get away from the ‘day’s work’ affording a swim in the morning, dining in an array of restaurants in the adjacent building, and cocktails on the top floor. The top floor also serves breakfast, with a bounty of foods from all corners of the globe, and also has a very nice outdoor garden bar area.
The hotel also arranged taxis to take us to and from our meeting, charging the fare to our room.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank JulzE
Dear Valued guest, Mabuhay and Thank your for recognizing our Value and Service

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2013

Stayed here on june 16 to celebrate father's day.The staff were very friendly, service is prompt and cozy ambience. The breakfast buffet is excellent.On top of that we were given a complimentary upgrade from standard to executive room.What an enjoyable stay!

• Stayed June 2013
2 Thank rfg24
Dear Guests,
Mabuhay and Greetings from Manila!

Hope you will returrn to us soon, and thank you for being loyal to our Brand.

Melbourne
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2013

One of the best hotels we have ever stayed at, we missed our first night due to a delayed flight, but when we arrived we were welcomed by our butler, who took us to our room and explained everything, the room was clean big and bright. We then went straight to breakfast which was excellent. We went to the pool area were the pool attendant put towels on the seats for us and a little bit latter brought us bottles of cold water. The hotel is less than a block from Robinson's shopping centre and plenty of money changers doors from the hotel which is real handy when flying in at 5 am as none were open at the airport. A really great experience.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DandAMelbourne
RMasselin, General Manager at Pan Pacific Manila, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Mabuhay and Greetings from Manila!

Thank you for recognizing us as one of the best !!!!!
Proud to read that you truly enjoyed youre welcome experience, our pool service and our breakfast spread at the pacific lounge.

Glad you also enjoyed the modern comfort of our room and facilities, as well as the caring of our butlers.

Hope you will returrn to us soon, and thank you for being loyal to our Brand.