“Wonderful Experience”

Ranked #3 of 108 Hotels in Manila
Manila, Philippines
“Wonderful Experience”
Reviewed September 29, 2010

Its an oasis in the middle of a busy city! The suite room is elegantly designed with complete amenities and wide array of complimentary sweets that were already set-up upon our arrival. The notes inside the room were personalized and my name already written when we arrived. Mr. Gerry the waiter was very accommodating. Ms. Lala Quilantang handled our booking with utmost efficiency. The housekeeping staff was helpful and the maintenance man was so efficient even handled the shoe problem of my colleague. everything was great!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank derek030
Sofitel-Philippines, Manager at Sofitel Philippine Plaza Manila, responded to this review, September 30, 2010

Bonjour from Sofitel Philippine Plaza Manila!

We would like to thank you for choosing our hotel as your accommodation choice for your stay last September 2010 and for taking the time to inform us of your experience with our hotel. We were delighted to read that you had an overall excellent stay with us.

It is always encouraging for us to learn that our guests are satisfied with our services as it is what we strive for everyday. Your kind words are most gratifying and have been shared with the whole team. This will certainly motivate them to keep up the good work..

It was a pleasure for us to be at your service and we look forward to welcoming you again soon to Sofitel Philippine Plaza. On your next visit, kindly contact me directly and I would be more than happy to personally arrange your stay with us. In the meantime, if I can be of assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Sincerely yours,

Quality Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (807)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Seoul
Reviewed September 25, 2010

Wonderful interiors, excellent bayview.. a little more helpful staff would add icing on the cake though :p but still its a home away from home!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank Belle_Wyn
Sofitel-Philippines, Manager at Sofitel Philippine Plaza Manila, responded to this review, October 7, 2010

Bonjour from Sofitel Philippine Plaza Manila!

I would like to thank you for taking the time to inform us of your experience in our hotel.

I was very pleased to read that you appreciate all the luxurious amenities and interiors at our hotel. I am also pleased to inform you that we are currently undergoing renovation to serve you more with better quality products and services.

On behalf of Sofitel Philippine Plaza Manila, I thank you for your patronage and look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you and your family back at Sofitel Philippine Plaza. On your next visit to Manila, kindly contact me directly I will be pleased to assist you with your reservations. Meanwhile, if I can be of any assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Manila, Philippines
Reviewed September 23, 2010

The BEST HOTEL in Manila! COZY room, GREAT food, PERFECT ambiance...very relaxing & friendly staffs too. I love this hotel!!!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank littleonesdent
Sofitel-Philippines, Manager at Sofitel Philippine Plaza Manila, responded to this review, September 26, 2010
Dear Valued Guest:

Bonjour Mabuhay from Sofirel Philippine Plaza Manila!

On behalf of Sofitel Philippine Plaza, I would like to extend my deepest appreciation for sharing with us your excellent stay with our hotel.

Many agree with you that the lagoon-shaped pool is one of the top features of the hotel. Guests have also raved about the special MyBed for a great sleep along with the pleasures of LeSpa. Your kind words has not only boosted the confidence of the team, but renewed the enthusiasm and zest for the job. I would like to assure you of our continued sincerity and dedication to service from all Sofitel Ambassadors.

It would be our great pleasure to do business with you in the future and we look forward to more such opportunities in the near future. In the meantime, if I can be of any assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Makati, Philippines
Reviewed September 20, 2010

We were looking for a place to spend the weekend without having to travel out of town and Sofitel was one of those on the shortlist. Having stayed there before, I knew that I couldn't go wrong.

I was right. Despite being fully booked that weekend, it was still a great stay. We were off to a great start with the birthday cake that was waiting for me in our room (it was my birthday that weekend). We meant to have dinner at the poolside barbeque but rainshowers threw those plans out the window. We settled for dinner at the lobby instead. Hainanese chicken was great.

Spiral Restaurant was fully booked for Sunday brunch--what else is new--but we managed to reserve a table. As always, great assortment of food but I settled for 3 servings of prime rib and just a taste of the rest. Amazing lunch!

Overall, everything about the stay was great--the room, the food, the staff. I'd recommend Sofitel to friends any day.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank Ra0ulF
Sofitel-Philippines, Manager at Sofitel Philippine Plaza Manila, responded to this review, September 24, 2010
Dear Valued Guest:

Bonjour Mabuhay from Sofitel Philippine Plaza Manila!

UK
Reviewed September 16, 2010

I suppose to stay at the Discovery Suites in Ortigas as i love the location itself, near to everything and just a walk away from malls etc.. but since my friend who works as an executive in one of the top corporation in the country is a frequent guest of Sofitel(almost every weekend lately) asked me to try it for 2 nights, in which i did. I arrived at around 9pm due to a late flight from Hongkong and was greeted by front doors men with the phrase "Bonjour Mabuhay". Being a hotelier myself for years now, i can sense when a greeting is fake and genuine..it was FAKE! I was looking exhausted after a total flight of 12 hours which was delayed for almost 4 hrs, i dont really care at that point as all i want is to lie down and sleep. At the reception, i was checked in my Celine? i hope my memory search me right, she smiles and again asked for my name and again, being a hotelier i know what are the basic things that needs to be done during a guest checking in..the questions such as "how's your flight or is this your first time with us" can actually make a difference but totally none! She was just starring at the computer while checking available rooms in Opera, thank God she didnt forgtet to ask my view preferences of the room, she handed the keys of my room and had told me that this key comes with a breakfast( but where?) that should be relayed to the guest upon check in. Luggage was brought up to my room by a bellman who was in his middle aged, i forgot the name but i was really impressed that he has to show me everything that i need to know in the room and was the first one to ask if its my first stay in Sofitel. Room was average and a little bit old in which i understand as this was still the former Westin Philippine Plaza and they are currently undergoing renovations at the moment. The room i got has a nice view of the lagoon shaped pool, which is really a plus factor of the hotel and overlooking Manila Bay. I phoned the Operator to check on the internet charges and i laugh real hard when i was told that its Php900.00( they must be kidding me), oh well i didnt bother to use it anyway as i find it very impractical, i rather ask the driver to drop me off to Starbucks in the nearest mall and use the wifi connection. Going back to the Operator, there are some who are consistent in their greetings, as they mentioned my name every time i call while some hangs up the phone first( lady with a male voice), sadly i forgot her name as she is the one who keeps doing it, she's always the first one to say thank you and hang up the call without even asking me if i still need further assistance, by the way, the Operators give me 3 different informations on GYM opening and closing times, my first call was 24hrs open, my second call was 6AM to midnight, my 3rd call was 6AM to 1100PM so i decided to go down myself to the gym and ask the the SPA attendant personally. Moving forward, i had a breakfast at the Spiral in the morning which i really loved it, knowing the fact that i had been missing filipino foods a lot( tuyo, dried danggit etc., service was good, people were friendly and always greets you with a genuine smile, my satisfactory ratings for the restaurant reach at its peak but was ruined on the second day as i seated outside and i asked for a water that never came( the waiter with some pimples), i ended up standing and chase for it. That should not be a big deal if the guy was busy but he was just standing and chatting with his colleagues, oh well maybe he thought i cant give him some tips! After having breakfast, i decided to swim on the pool where two lifeguards are busy talking about their personal life while there's another one who keeps singing Michael Boltons Go the Distance but Regine Velasquez's version, sounds funny though! On the day of my checkout, i was shocked that i was charged with the internet and i asked the receptionist how did it happened? When was the charged done? I was told at 8:52PM, which is very impossible as i was out the whole day until 10PM anyway, i dont have problem paying the amount if i used it but i really did not! She rebated the charges in the end! The bellman who helped me during the checkout was nice and helpful, i think his name on the tag was Jello but corrected me as John Chua? He asked how was my stay and if everything was alright and where will be my next destination, very impressive, on the closing the doors of the car, he wished me a safe flight, if everyone could be like him, the hotel is a perfect place to stay. By the way, i forgot to mention the duty manager who smiles once in a blue moon, i think the last name was Dee? In the property i worked with, duty managers are suppose to be accommodating but he seems this guy has a big personal problem while standing at the reception you can see his gloomy face, i think he should be placed at the back office updating registration cards?lol. Over all, the place is nice, the food is nice and great but the attitude of some staff towards their guest, the like of Mr. Dee will depend on who you are. To add on, i have to send the driver away from the hotel as i was told that there is a parking fee of Php200(sounds ridiculous for a hotel guest)

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ecohotelier
Sofitel-Philippines, Manager at Sofitel Philippine Plaza Manila, responded to this review, September 19, 2010
Dear Valued Guest,

Bonjour from Sofitel Philippine Plaza Manila!

On behalf of Sofitel Philippine Plaza Manila, I would like to thank you for sharing with us your wonderful and excellent indulgence with our lagoon-shaped swimming pool and the food at Spiral Buffet. Your kind words are most gratifying and have been shared with the whole team particularly to Mr. John Chua. This will certainly motivate them to keep up the good work.

It is with sincere regret that we note your dissatisfaction during your stay with us. The experience you have been through does not in any way represent the quality of standards we strive for, and indeed customarily maintain in Sofitel Philippine Plaza. Your comments have certainly raised many areas of concern that needs to be addressed and rest assured that we will strengthen our focus on our training in these specific areas to avoid similar incidents from happening again. Our aim and intent is to ensure all employees are totally customer-focus and all guest concerns and requests are handled quickly and efficiently. Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience this might have caused you.

It was unfortunate that such an incident occurred during your stay with us. We sincerely hope that it will not deter you from choosing to stay at Sofitel Philippine Plaza in the future. On your next visit to Manila, kindly contact me directly and I would be more than happy to personally arrange your stay with us. In the meantime, should you need assistance please do not hesitate to let us know.

thailand
Reviewed September 7, 2010

The hotel on arrival is very impressive. However, the experience is short lived when you get to reception. I live in Thailand and I use the Sofitel chain there. The two I have stayed at in Bangkok are faultlessly managed. However, the management at the Sofitel Manila seem to be have caught the Manila disease, the symptoms of which are to have a perpetual need to rip off every single traveller who arrives at their shores.
So after pre paying a room on the internet including Broadband Internet (It wasn’t clear that the internet was in fact chargeable), I was given the impression that the room I booked and pre paid for wasn’t really that great and that if I paid another 3,500 pesos or so I would get free internet and free breakfast and a room on the executive floor. I worked out that if I didn’t buy the upgrade package, the cost of the internet would be greater than an entire night’s stay at the Ibis (Sofitel’s cheaper sister hotel). As the package included free breakfast for two and access to the “executive lounge” I decided to accept the offer. This was to prove a mistake and I felt like I had been tricked. I had after all paid in extras about the same as a nice 4 star hotel would have cost me in Bangkok and for what? If I had paid the breakfasts separately I would have got it at half price with my Accor card!
The executive room was in fact nothing more than two connected bedrooms. The executive lounge didn’t feel too “executive”. It had more of an ambiance of a kid’s playroom with three young kids watching cartoons.
The breakfast room looked wonderful and the selection of food looked amazing, but details like the fresh bread was not in the same league as the Sofitels in Bangkok. Surprisingly, it was not easy to get an English style breakfast together. The sausages didn’t fit the bill and there were no hash browns or fried potatoes and the bacon was in an appalling state.
I couldn’t fault the room, and the internet was very fast. The room service menu was excellent and surprisingly reasonably priced. Wonderfully served on a table brought into the room. The hotel is in a nice situation. Very handy for the Mall of Asia, which doesn’t quite compare with Bangkok’s Malls, but probably the best you’ll find in Manila. The hotel is also convenient for the airport.
All in all though, I won’t stay there again. The room was very nice and the hotel is very nice, but there remains a bad taste in my mouth from what I see as being ripped off on arrival.
I would suggest that the hotel should be clear on the internet booking site, what is included in the price and what is not. I think if proper information was given at the time of booking then the proper booking could be made then and there, without this need for decision making at check in.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ianthailand
Sofitel-Philippines, Manager at Sofitel Philippine Plaza Manila, responded to this review, September 9, 2010
Dear Valued Guest:

Bonjour from Sofitel Philippine Plaza Manila.

On behalf of Sofitel Philippine Plaza Manila, I would like to thank you for choosing our hotel as your accommodation choice during your recent stay at Manila.

We are most concerned with the satisfaction of all our guests and your feedback is of great value to us. It allows us to ensure and improve the quality of service we want to offer our guests.

It is with sincere regret that we note your dissatisfaction with our services and facilities. Please rest assured that we have taken serious note of your comments and we will strengthen our focus on our training in these specific areas. Your comments have certainly raised many areas of concern that need to be addressed and will inspire us to strive harder in meeting the discerning needs of our guests.

I thank you for your patronage and look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you and your family back at Sofitel Philippine Plaza. In the meantime, if I can be of any assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Sincerely yours,

pasay, philippines
Reviewed September 3, 2010

The best 5-star hotel that I have stayed in. The buffet dining is awesome and the room is large. The pool is also great. Nothing bad to say. Thumbs up!!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank rickyrose
Sofitel-Philippines, Manager at Sofitel Philippine Plaza Manila, responded to this review, September 5, 2010

Bonjour from Sofitel Philippine Plaza Manila!

I was very pleased to read that you appreciate all the luxurious amenities and food at Sofitel Philippine Plaza . Your kind words are most gratifying and have been shared with the whole team. This will certainly motivate them to keep up the good work.