“THE resort hotel at which to stay while discovering Manila”

Sofitel Philippine Plaza Manila
Ranked #3 of 110 Hotels in Manila
Reviewed December 2, 2008

My wife, daughter, siblings, cousin and I stayed at this Sofitel as vacation within a vacation while we went around discovering Manila. I'd only visited the hotel for dinner and drinks when it was the Westin and though the building exterior is still somewhat dated, the Sofitel crew did a terrific job in its interior overhaul and renovation. It was given a solidly modern European touch as is is typical of the Sofitel brand.

We had adjoining suites with lovely views of the bay and city skyline. The rooms were appointed with flat screen tv's which complemented the modern mahagony themed decor. The beds were very comfortable and the bathrooms spacious. The showers had overhead showerheads and the temperature and water pressure were quite satisfactory from the 8th floor. The true gems of the hotel however were threefold.

First, the service. Warm service with genuine smiles is typical of most Filipino hotels but at the Sofitel the level of service exceeded even our already raised expectations. Everyone bent over backwards to make sure my wife and one year old daughter were accomodated and comortable. Several staff members even offered to take our daughter on strolls while we dined. Calls for ice, towels, food to the room were all answered very promptly and the staff always lingered long enough to make sure we got everything we needed.

The second gold star goes to the food. Both the dinner and breakfast buffet's at Spiral were exceptional in both quality and variety. When it comes to many buffets those are typically mutually exclusive. There's naturally a predominance of Asian cuisine representation but that's to be expected. I don't travel to the Philippines for rib-eye steaks or pasta.

The third gold honorable mention goes to the pool/patio/dining area. While the Manila Bay is no White Beach at Boracay the views at sunset are still dramatic and romantic. The best part is you can take them in from the pool, on a grassy knoll in a lounge chair under palm trees or while dining with friends and family.

All in all we were very pleased with our stay at the Sofitel and we will most certainly return. The only minus of note would be that it's not surrounded by quite as much up-scale night life as an establishment in Makati would be. But for those that would like to be close to the Mall of Asia, intramuros and all that Manila has to offer, the Sofitel is bar none the place to stay. On a separate but related note, we highly reccomend that first time visitors to Manila take the walking tour with Carlos Celdran. He'll paint the city in colors that you'll be hard pressed to find used by anyone else!

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank SoCalMarc

Reviewed November 30, 2008

I had fond memories of this hotel when it was still known as Westin Philippine Plaza which made it my first choice in spending our family vacation last April '08 even if it is now under Sofitel management. Our overnight experience was great although we waited for more than an hour for our room to be ready (I think this is a perennial problem of the hotel also they have a long queue at the front desk during peak season), good thing the reservations person gave us a nice room and excellent view. Our room was newly renovated and had a magnificent view of the swimming pool and the famous Manila Bay sunset. The bed and pillows were super soft and comfortable. The bathroom amenities were complete and fancy (shampoos/conditioners were imported from France). TIP: I recommend to choose rooms facing the pool AND ask to stay at their newly renovated floors.

The design and surroundings of the swimming pool remained lovely as before (very tropical) and more suitable for leisure swimming. There are 2 slides and waterfalls in the pool. Unfortunately, the slides wasn't working (quite frustating since it was a long weekend and one would expect that the slide would be operational). Other minor downsides of the pool are; 1. The baby pool was too small. A parent and a child could almost fill in the whole baby pool and during holidays, it becomes really jampacked and noisy - unless you love to swim in a crowded baby pool with your child. 2. Some portions of the pool had the paint scraping off from the bottom and sides of the pool. I had to check what was peeling off from the side of the pool only to find out it was the paint. 3. Other portions of the pool was quite deep (except for the baby pool and near the waterfalls) and most of the time I had to carry my 6 yr old daughter around the pool which was a bit tiring for me. 4. Remember to bring a bathrob or room towel because towels from the pool area cannot be brought out of the pool area.

Food area (Spiral restaurant -- Dinner and Breakfast) was simply amazing with a wide variety of food choices. TIP: make a reservation beforehand just to be sure your table is ready (our table had to cleaned while we were already sitting down). Eating here will take more than an hour if you want to try all the food. I enjoyed the salmon pasta which was unique to me. The prime rib though wasn't as tender as I expected it to be. During breakfast, do try the mango juice as this is an all time favorite even during Westin days.

I miss the mini golf course beside the swimming pool that was present during the Westin days. Now they made it much smaller, I think its down to just a 1 hole putting area.

The hotel is quite pricey as well so be prepared and almost everything you rent has a cost. Overall, I'd still rate the hotel "above average". With a little more attention to detail and making sure the hotel is well maintained and addressing the long queue in the front desk, I think this hotel can become a great hotel...

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank Prince_A
Reviewed November 27, 2008

I stayed at the Sofitel hotel in Manila since I had fond memories of the hotel back in the 1980s when it was Westin Philippine Plaza.

There were several renovations of the interior of the hotel which was quite nice. The water slides made out of cement were still there (which are nice to look at, but I'm not sure whether it's safer to go on it compared to 20 years ago.)

Overall I had a good stay. I also picked this hotel because of all the reviews I've heard of its buffet at Spiral. Out of all the hotels I've been in in Manila, this buffet is the biggest (has every kind of station imaginable) but the service is definitely not up to par with Shangri-La or Mandarin Oriental.

I had to ask 3 different waiters/waitresses for a glass of water and only after asking for it for the 3rd time did I finally receive it. When we went to our table, the plates and utensils were nicely arranged, but the table still had all the crumbs from the previous customer... and I had to specifically ask the waiter to kindly clean the crumbs away.

The food itself was okay (after a while all the buffets seem to serve the same) but in terms of quantity, this buffet has the most food hands down.

My favorite is still the Mandarin Oriental in Manila. The food is fresh and the best and the service there is amazing and its location in Makati is quite nice.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled with family
3  Thank joey0530
Reviewed September 25, 2008

Went to the Philippines for 2 weeks and out of that 2 week stay, I stayed here for about 4 days out of the 14.

The staff was friendly, the rooms were immaculate and the views were all good, no matter what room I was in.

The only thing wierd was the location - you couldn't really walk anywhere - and I disliked how they had a "hotel taxi" that charged waaaay too much to go to places that a regular city taxi wouldn't charge you. I reccomend that you walk just outside the hotel, to the main street and hail a taxi from there.

They also have a free shuttle to Mall of Asia, which is a nice amenity.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
3  Thank marjolyn
Reviewed September 23, 2008

I have always loved Philippine Plaza. Located near Manila Bay and near Mall of Asia. They have a very good buffet at the Spiral and have very good entertainment at 7 Pecados Bar. Their swimming pool is as always very relaxing. Good service. I like their beds its really the best.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled on business
2  Thank guideme
Reviewed September 18, 2008

Date:Sept 18, 2008
My name is Donford Liu, specail assistant of president of Asia Taiwanese of Chamber of Commerce. I had called many times asking to speak to Ms Lala, the contact peron of our incoming events on Dec 7~9. I can not even speak to her personally. We are holding the annual Asia Taiwanese Chamber of Commerce meeting at your hotel. Therefore, I had to be there to your hotel personally. Of course, I did not have an appointment. I did not expect that I could meet her. Unsuprisely, I could not talk to her.
But at least I had my questions answered. However, the sales assistant failed to mail me the quotation which I badly needed. Bryan Ronquillo failed to keep his promise. I even called his mobile number to remind him ten minutes before 5pm the time he promised. Now it is 8:22pm I still dont receive any quotation from your hotel. I will wait and see when I will receive the quotation after I write this review. I used to work at the 5 stars hotel myself. I can hardly believe what I experienced today.

Stayed: September 2008
3  Thank L0yalty
Reviewed September 2, 2008

Hotel was very nice with a great view of Manila Bay. But the location was sort of an incovenience. It wasn't within walking distance of anything. Over the years I've stayed in Ortigas, Makati and Quezon City, all had better access to everything. Also, I used the hotel taxi 3 times and each time the front desk outside did not have change for a simple 500 peso. I've never heard of such a thing, a place of business not having change. Ridiculous.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family