“The buffet that never ends”

Sofitel Philippine Plaza Manila
Ranked #3 of 108 Hotels in Manila
“The buffet that never ends”
Reviewed June 9, 2014

Stayed here in Nov 2013. Initially I hadn't planned to stay at the Sofitel, however I had to leave Boracay during Typhoon Yolanda (Hayian) & couldn't get into Traders where I was booked at the end of the week.

Rooms: large, with comfortable beds. Decent sized bathroom with bath

Service: as you would expect from the Sofitel, first class. Plenty of staff to assist at all times at reception or in the restaurant

Restaurant: Buffet breakfast was unbelievable. Every choice imaginable. Western choices galore as well as Asian. Didn't need to eat until much later in the day.

Also had dinner here. Don't usually eat I bustle buffets, however with the bad weather and generally being exhausted from the events of the week I stayed in. More food than you could possibly want!

Location: on the water, but not sure on the view as hrs weather was terrible. Close to Mall of Asia and reasonably close to the airport (20 minutes at night, 40 I. Peak). Other than that nothing in walking distance, but unless you are in Makati I wouldn't recommend walking alone in parts of Manila anyway.

Free courtesy bus to MOA, and taxis readily available to get to other parts of the city.

All in all a good stay under the circumstances. Excellent value for money for Australians, we would pay 3 times as much back home, or in some other asan cities.

Highly recommended for short stays where you want to be close to the Airport.

Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Sofitel-Philippines, Manager at Sofitel Philippine Plaza Manila, responded to this review, June 11, 2014

Bonjour Mabuhay!

Thank you for sharing your experience with us and to the TripAdvisor community. We are delighted that you have enjoyed our room, service and our Spiral restaurant. It is with great pride that the Sofitel Manila lives by its values of providing excellent experience to our guests.

The location of the hotel is close to Mall of Asia and the airport. Should our guest needs transportation services our concierge team will be able to assist. We do have as well a shuttle service going to the Mall of Asia during designated time.

We hope to see you again in your next visit to Manila.

Quality Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (807)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed June 8, 2014

Stayed here may 31 -June 1. Since there were 2 major functions and a wedding, checking in took almost an hour. We stayed at the 9th floor. Our room was clean, very spacious. We really enjoyed the bed. Water pressure in our room however was a bit low, making it a bit hard to take a shower.
We got the So Gourmet package and it was well worth it. The food vouchers were more than enough. Food choices, however seems to be limited. We compared the menus of the various restaurants, and give or take a few dishes, they were very similar. Food quality is very good and Spirals, as expected, was superb!
I just have one major complaint. I used my credit card to pay and up to now (1 week later), the charges for the deposit have not been canceled thereby eating up a huge chunk of my credit limit! I've informed my bank and they say they are still awaiting word from Sofitel.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank ayanna5287

Bonjour Mabuhay!

We would like to thank for staying with Sofitel Philippine Plaza Manila and for sharing your experience with us. We are glad that you find your room clean, very spacious and that you enjoyed the bed. MyBed is a seven layered bed, ergonomically designed to cocoon you into a deep sleep. Your appreciation of Spiral and the quality of our food will definitely inspire our Food and Beverage team to strive even more in providing excellent food and service for our guests.

We have noted as well your concerns regarding the water pressure, the food selection and importantly your concern with your credit card. Rest assured that we will look into these for necessary action.

It would be a pleasure to welcome you again in the near future.

New York City, New York
Reviewed June 6, 2014

I was nice to see you again Pavino, you never fail our expectations, the sofitel club sandwich,Seabass and madfish shiraz,SauvinonBlanc was really a great match on our dinner date. That time I badly needed help and I really appreciate that you were able to provide a local sim card I wasn't really expecting it. Thank you so much and God bless.

Bonjour Mabuhay!

Thank you for sharing your experience thru TripAdvisor. We are pleased to know that our ambassador Pavino has once again stood up to your expectations and never failed to provide you a magnifique service. Sofitel Manila and its ambassadors strive to offer our guests comfort and convenience they well-deserved during the stay.

It will be a pleasure to see you again soon.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed June 6, 2014

Recommend taking the upgrade to the 10th floor, or you may only have a 4 star experience. Concierge needs repeat follow up, and still you may find your request missing. Limo driver excellent, greeters excellent, check in staff excellent. Food - excellent and location to Asian Mall very nice. Wi Fi not free and over priced.

Room Tip: 10th floor and eat their also .... private and the food is better for breakfast and your afternoon s...

Bonjour Mabuhay!

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with Sofitel Philippine Plaza Manila. It is truly a delight to hear that you find our food and ambassadors from the limo service, door greeters and check-in service excellent. They will be more inspired to provide excellent service knowing that they are noticed and appreciated.

Your comments regarding our Concierge has been brought to their Department Head’s attention to ensure proper training and guidance be given to improve the quality of their service.

Thank you once again and we hope to see you again soon.

Makati, Philippines
Reviewed June 6, 2014

Spent a birthday weekend at Sofitel . The balcony in our room Showcase the beautiful sea view on the right and Manila Skyline on the left . Our room has a King size bed with very comfortable Mattress and pillow. The room is huge and comfortable . The Hotel Is near the walled city of Intramuros , Rizal Park , And even China town which is about a fifteen minute drive from the Hotel . There is also Star city a mini Carnival with lots of rides and fun games for Children .and many restaurants specializing in different menus world wide . The Cultural center is just a stone throw away . The Biggest mall in Asia is also around the vicinity . Nightlife is alive and kicking with a lot of Casinos . in other word Sofitel is a great place to stay when you are in Manila .

Room Tip: Get the higher room for better view

Bonjour Mabuhay!

Sofitel Philippine Plaza Manila wishes you a belated Happy Birthday! We are delighted that you have chosen us to be a part of this important day in your life.

The hotel is known for its magnificent view of the famed Manila Bay Sunset. It is also located wherein families and groups of friends can go out and about in the nearby attractions as you have mentioned such as the Mall of Asia, Star City and Intramuros. On top of it, the hotel and its ambassadors ensure that our guest be given utmost care by providing excellent products and services.

We look forward to welcome you back and celebrate another joyous moment here in Sofitel Manila.

Life is Magnifique!

Makati, Philippines
Reviewed June 5, 2014

I bought a voucher from Le Spa (Jardin d' Eden package)
Package inclusion:
A 3-hour World’s best or Local favorite Massage for couples and overnight accommodation
at Sofitel with breakfast for two.

We are supposed to have a standard room with King Size bed,

The front desk staffs are very accommodating, however, the rooms with King Size bed were not available so we were asked if it's okay to stay in a luxury room (they said it's upgraded) but two single beds are joined. Or the other room that has 2 single beds detached. We're couples so we got no choice but to get the one which single beds are joined together. :(

Luxury room
Room - not that big.
Balcony - we stayed at 7th floor, not sure of which wing we are at but facing SM Mall of Asia and a glimpse of Manila Bay from the right.
2 single bed joined together. Bed and pillow are soo fluffy for me.
-There's a note behind the bed about requesting for pillow types but I did not bother to request the right pillow for me.
Toilet/restroom - no bidet. no bath tub. Shower rain type. 2 complimentary bottled water.
Towels + 2 bath robes + 2 slippers
Toiletries - (Les Notes de Lanvin products) 2 hand soaps, 1 lotion, 1 shampoo, 1 conditioner, 1 body wash. Shower caps, sewing kit, buds, cotton pads
-We only got 1set of toothbrush and toothpaste? Seriously for a couple? LOLs

Mini Bar/Refrigerator
Chips, Liqour, Sodas, Chocolates, etc available but has a price tag on it.
Complimentary tea and coffee.

Le Spa
Separate wet areas for male and female. They have shower, sauna, steam bath and jaccuzzi.
Our massage was done in Orion room. it has a shower inside then 2 massage beds. I think it's a couple massage standard room. I got disappointed. I didn't know that I had to book the Jardin room. I thought that once you booked for Jardin d' Eden, you will get the Jardin room automatically.

I asked the masseuse why were were at Orion and not at the Jardin room since we avail the package, she just answered that it was occupied and we should book the room ahead.

We already booked for the massage and informed them that we got Jardin d' Eden Package. I didn't know that I had to book for the room too. I hope they also inform us that the Jardin room won't be available on our desired time, at least I didn't set my expectations already.

What's the point of the getting Jardin d Eden package if you did not get the right room for it. Just my thought.

My husband and I got a good 90minutes massage, and I was like "where's the remaining 1 1/2hours?(as stated on their website it should be 3 hours)

Buffet Breakfast.
It was great. Everything is a must try. Why not when it's free + it's a buffet c'mon! :)

Swimming pool/Outdoor Amenities.
I don't have any comments here. It's perfect.

We did not receive an anniversary package from Le Spa and a cake from Sofitel. Lols. But it's fine.

I commend all the staffs, from front desks to receptionist to masseuse for being nice and friendly.

Side Note: This hotel is partnered with Virlanie Foundation. AUTOMATICALLY you will be charge P50.00 as your "donation" for the said foundation. You may cancel it but you have to call the reception. It's your option.

Room Tip: Book ahead and be clear to them your preferred room, or the room you booked and payed for. There'...

Bonjour Mabuhay!

We would like to thank you for staying at the Sofitel Philippine Plaza Manila with your husband. However, it is with regret that there had been some lapses in terms of our communication and services provided at Le Spa, with the room and its amenities and the unavailability of king size bed. Your joyous occasion was marred with these incidents and we sincerely apologize. Your comments are valuable to us. We will do the necessary action so as not to have this repeated again to any of our guest.

On the lighter note, your appreciation of our Spiral breakfast, swimming pool, outdoor amenities and especially your commendation for our ambassadors being nice and friendly is truly heart-warming.

Thank you for sharing your feedback and we hope to welcome you back again.

Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed June 5, 2014

(Stayed one night)

I love this hotel, it has to be my favourite in Manila. I must admit, I have been coming to this property easily every year for the last 10+ years, and enjoyed it even when it was still under the 'Westin' brand.

It has a French-Filipino charm about it which really helps sets the tone and lets you enjoy your stay. The pool is a long time favourite, great sunset views and nice to read a book or grab a drink by the poolside.

The rooms are spacious and well appointed, for business travellers or those wanting to work in a nice environment they have a full size desk with desktop plugs! This specific review covers my first stay with platinum status, and I will admit they look after you well.

The check in at the Club Level (on 10) is a professional affair, and the room upgrade (to Club Level) was much appreciated, I got a pool view room also with the city skyline in the background. This level included a whole bunch of amenities such as lounge access, gym access, free wireless internet and late check out.

During their cocktail hour the canapés served were delicious and the staff were happy to offer refills of food and drinks. For those staying in Manila for the first time, you'll be happy to know you can indulge in a few San Miguel Beers.

My booking included the unique Spiral buffet, but as we slept in, I always seem to sleep in on a Sofitel MyBed, we missed out. Woke up refreshed for sure!

I stayed a couple days before Christmas and they left a bottle of Filipino Mango Rum and a tasty banana bread along with the standard platinum amenity of a fruit plate and a decent bottle of red wine from France.

A few small issues people may have with the property, it can be a little gloomy getting a room facing the Manila Film Centre, just spend more time bayside/poolside if you book the lower category rooms. It is easy to get to by Taxi, but if you're wanting to catch public transport you'll have to take a quick ride to nearby SM Mall of Asia or a tad longer to the LRT/MRT stations. You are close enough to enjoy some of the sights of Manila such as Luneta Park, Manila Ocean Park and the casinos around the airport and in the Entertainment City.

All in all, another excellent stay. The staff emailed me prior asking for my travel schedule and preferences and even helped a price matching guarantee claim I made. I look forward to a stay again later in the year. Life is definitely magnifique!

Room Tip: Get a room with bay views either directly to the bay or pool side with Manila and the bay. Well wort...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank kiwipino
Sofitel-Philippines, Manager at Sofitel Philippine Plaza Manila, responded to this review, June 10, 2014

Bonjour Mabuhay!

We are very pleased and humbled to know that you have enjoyed your every stay with us for several years already. Your appreciation and commendation of our products and services inspires us to continuously strive to provide utmost guest satisfaction. It is with great pride that the Sofitel Manila lives by its values of providing excellent experience to our guests.

We are glad that you have truly experienced a magnifique stay and hope we will be able to be of service to you for still a long period of time to come.