“Nick”

Ranked #3 of 109 Hotels in Manila
Anchorage, Alaska
“Nick”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2014

Best hotel in Manila. Very friendly staff. The snaps bar which is open 24/7 has tasty food and the atmosphere is always pleasant. The check-in desk has almost no waiting and the staff is very good at remembering you if you have stayed in the hotel before. I would recommend this hotel to everyone I meet

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Sofitel.com

Sofitel-Philippines, Manager at Sofitel Philippine Plaza Manila, responded to this review, April 23, 2014

Bonjour Mabuhay!

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. We are very pleased to know that you consider us to be the best hotel in Manila. And it is much more delightful to know that your experience was made excellent through the friendly service rendered by our ambassadors. Your compliments will be shared with the team as recognition for the job well done.

We look forward to being of service to you again soon.

Quality Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (790)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Makati, Philippines
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2014

Room is ordinary and not impressive. Not what you expect on a 5-star hotel. Safety deposit box is not functioning. We waited for an hour to get it fix instead of us enjoying the amenities. Had to request for the baby cot several times and waited for it. It was already requested upon reservation. We didn't get a good sleep for 2 nights as we were facing the parking lot and a car was alarming in the wee hours of the morning. I've actually requested for a quiet room upon reservation!

In fairness, hotel staffs are courteous and the buffet was great! The Manila bay view is also good plus there were several activities for the kids.

Overall, we're not happy with our stay and was very disappointed.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Sofitel-Philippines, Manager at Sofitel Philippine Plaza Manila, responded to this review, April 21, 2014

Bonjour Mabuhay!

We aim to provide only the finest quality services for our guests. Thus, we regret to know of the service lapses you encountered during your recent stay. We apologize for the inconvenience caused and please note that these are not of Sofitel standards. The management is looking into your comments to asess the areas which are in need of improvement and maintenance. Your review is highly valuable as this aid us in developing ways wherein we can better improve the products and services we provide to our guests.

On the other hand, we are glad that you appreciated our courteous ambassadors, the food choices at Spiral, the gorgeous views of the Manila Bay, and also the kiddie activities in different areas of the hotel. The team will certainly be delighted of your recognition and praises.

We want to restore your impression on our hotel, thus, we do hope to have another opportunity to be of better service to you again soon.

Manila, Philippines
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2014

Sofitel Manila is one of my personal favorites. I love the facilities, particularly the swimming pool and the spectacular view of Manila Bay. My family has visited the hotel several times. In fact, we celebrated my daughter's 1st birthday party here.

We therefore decided to spend the holy week in the hotel since we didn't make plans for the long weekend.I booked via hotels.com for one night, from Holy Thursday, for check out Good Friday. Upon arrival, there was chaos. Long queues at the check-in counters and guests were made to wait a long time. On the average, I observed that it took more than 30 minutes per guest to check-in! A lady in front of me asked one of the attendants if her little son could go ahead and play in the swimming pool since it was getting late. She said, no, only checked-in guests could use the swimming pool. I pitched in and said that it was not our fault we were not checked-in yet. Is there anything wrong with the system? Why is it taking so long to process check-ins? The lady said, wait, that she will check with her manager. She never got back. So the poor lady's son never got to swim until they checked in. Good thing I have deposited my two-year old at Gymboree (I had coupons), so waiting in line was not as stressful. My 12-year-old daughter was with my toddler.

After 1 hour and 15 minutes, it was finally my turn. There was a problem with my booking. Apparently, hotels.com booked me for the previous day, Wednesday, instead of Thursday!!!! I was a no-show client, the lady at the desk informed me. What?!! There must be a system error, I said. The feeling of knowing your USD160 dollars have gone to waste is indescribable. I was advised to work it out with the travel agent since I did not book direclty with the hotel. Okay, I said, we will contact hotels.com separately and deal with what appeared to be system problems. But since technically, we paid for Wednesday's stay, couldn't we use the swimming pool? We booked the room primarily so that my daughters can enjoy swimming. No, she said. Check-out time was 12:00 noon, so we couldn't use the facilities anymore. What? I am an experienced traveler and I have yet to encounter a hotel whose policy is not to allow checked-out guests to use their facilities during the last day. I asked to talk to the hotel manager. He said the same thing. It was hotel policy that checked-out guests cannot use facilities. But management does allow from time to time. The duty manager was rude and couldn't care less about our predicament. Which is strange since based on previous experiences, staff has always been helpful. We were made to feel that because we booked via hotels.com, we were not "regular" guests, thus, are not entitled to use the facilities. He eventually allowed us to use the swimming pool, but not after making us feel discriminated against and that he was giving us a favor by allowing us to use the pool. He even insisted we be escorted for the "security of the 1,200+ guests" staying in the hotel. Finally, he warned us that he was making this exception (bending hotel policy) and if the other 1,200+ guests learned about this, they will not be happy. We paid USD160 for this treatment? My husband was fuming mad during our conversation but I appeased him. I wanted to let this incident slide at that point because all I wanted to do was to salvage the remainder of our holiday and hopefully my daughters will get to enjoy swimming. And indeed, my daughters, especially my 2-year old had the time of their lives. Being a mother, the money spent was well-worth seeing my daughters happy. On a side note, we spend 2 hours worht of Gymboree play time while waiting to be checked in.

The next day, we contacted Sofitel to lodge a complaint of our bad experience. It was confirmed by a different duty manager that it is hotel policy to allow checked-out guests to remain and use the facilities. I cannot imagine why the previous duty manager had us go through all that unpleasant experience! If we were immediately told that we could use the facilities, we could have been consoled about the apparent loss of overnight accommodation. But no, the duty manager was obnoxious and condescending.

In fairness, all other staff at the hotel were very sympathetic about our situation. We had no problem getting free parking. The security who escorted us to the pool area was also very sympathetic and treated us like regular guests.

Overall, it was a very bad experience for us just because of one person. But our subsequent complaint fell on deaf ears and apparently Sofitel management is not doing anything so that this will not happen again. We are definitely not coming back. I feel sad about it, though, since I have many fond memories of Sofitel Manila - celebrating my daughter's birthday, staying overnight just to relax, eating at Spiral, taking a dip in the swimming pool, and relaxing as the sun sets ove rthe horizon.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
10 Thank MJChiong
Sofitel-Philippines, Manager at Sofitel Philippine Plaza Manila, responded to this review, April 28, 2014

Bonjour Mabuhay!

We wish to thank you once again for the previous positive review you made about our property. Which is why we are saddened that this time around, our service failed to meet your expectations and left a mark on something that should have been another memorable experience for you and your family while in Sofitel Manila.

We would like to apologize for the way our ambassador handled your request. Guest satisfaction is always our priority and we could have been more sensitive in dealing with the situation as we treat all of our guests with utmost care. We understand your frustration regarding the incident. We could have communicated clearer and in a manner that is expected of a Sofitel brand thus reducing further frustrations.

The matter is taken very seriously as this concern the reputation of the brand. Your comments have been shared to the team members and moving forward, we will ensure that appropriate measures are taken to avoid any future occurrence.

We do hope that you will give us another opportunity to serve you better and let you experience again what the Sofitel brand is known for.

Quezon City
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2014 via mobile

For weeks I have been looking for a pacquiao poster... I was having lunch in Snaps and I took a chance by asking Ingrid if she happened to have an extra poster lying around? Little did I know that my little request was going to be granted in just a few minutes. The food was fantastic but the extra smile and kindness was the most fantastic of all. Thank you for going the extra mile Ingrid Pineda :-)

Stayed April 2014

Bonjour Mabuhay!

We are very much delighted to know of your great experience at Snaps Sports Bar. Sofitel Ambassadors are committed to providing the best service to all of our guests and we try to ensure that every effort is exerted. Rest assured that Ingrid will be informed of your high praises as this will certainly drive her to continue on providing the service that our guests adore.

It would be a pleasure to be of service to you again soon.

Calgary, Alberta
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2014

We were surprised how the Sofitel lounge 10th floor & Spiral staff accommodated us during our stay. Staff were amazing and very courteous. Very comfortable and clean room! Awesome experience over-all!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Sofitel.com

Bonjour Mabuhay!

Thank you for sharing with us your great experience and your appreciation for the services rendered by the Club Millesime and Spiral teams. Our ambassadors will truly be delighted with your praises and will definitely strive even harder for perfection.

We look forward to being of service to you again soon.

Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2014

As an Accor Advantage member, and on a stopover from Bangkok on way back to Australia, i decided to stay at the Sofitel Philippine Plaza. I found the hotel extremely accessible from the airport by metered taxi and checkin was smooth, polite and professional. A welcome drink on arrival was delivered to the room as swiftly as my luggage. The bed is large and the pillows ample and the bathroom equipped with the normal fare. I have found all staff to be exceptional in their service. Always a smile..always a greeting. Pavino in Le Bar, has been attentive and very professional and is an asset to the hotel. The food and bar service throughout is exhaustive and expertly presented, with the attention to detail outstanding. I can thoroughly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Some rooms are near the lifts..may be noisy.