“3 days relaxing at the end of a tiring trip”

Sofitel Philippine Plaza Manila
Ranked #3 of 109 Hotels in Manila
Reviewed February 21, 2014

We picked the Sofitel as we wanted a resort style place to relax in after travelling around the Philippines birdwatching. When we arrived straight off our flight from Palawan we were dressed in our muddy clothes but were treated courteously and getting through security and check in was still a pretty good experience albeit the reception area was really busy. It was interesting to see staff in long dresses meeting and greeting and the Bar area did look pretty plush.
We were given a room on the 8th Floor with view over the Bay, we did worry that it was going to be noisy as we could hear the loud entertainment from the Bay area, but this was not a problem as after dinner the music had all finshed.
Breakfast in spirals were excellent with great choice and the meals we had at Le Bar and the Sports Bar were both pretty good with an excellent range of cocktails in le Bar.
The pool area was really nice to relax in an it was a nice touch to be brought slices of oranges and towels on a regular basis.
There were a couple of areas where we felt the hotel fell short of 5 star service, firstly very odd that free wifi wasn't included, most hotels of any standard in the Philippines provided this, and secondly when we we were seeking a slightly later check-out (just 1 to 2 hours) we were pretty much dismissed because we were a couple rather than part of a business party, the hotel did feel very corporate and geared towards conferences and business delegates with individuals just making up the numbers.
I've reviewed Spiral restaurant separately, it was a great dining experience albeit marred slightly by a bottle of wine being swopped for a more expensive one without our agreement.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Sofitel-Philippines, Manager at Sofitel Philippine Plaza Manila, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2014

Bonjour Mabuhay!

Thank you for making us your preference in your recent visit to the Philippines. We are very pleased to know that you had a relaxing stay with us and particularly enjoyed the facilities of the hotel. It is our aim to provide all our guests the excellent experience that is due them, thus, we try to ensure that your comfort and satisfaction are met if not exceeded.

Spiral offers a wide range of breakfast selections from all around the world prepared by our chefs in our special dining ateliers. We appreciate your compliments and these will be shared with all of our ambassadors. With regards to your comment on late check-out, please note that this may be accommodated however subject to room availability and with applicable charges. Regardless of the explanation, we hope that this has not marred your overall perception of the hotel.

It is with hope that we will be able to be of service to you in the future.

There are newer reviews for Sofitel Philippine Plaza Manila

Reviewed February 20, 2014

I reviewed this hotel in rave last year. We went back based on our great experience only to find out that things do change. Our room was not as clean and lived through. The drain clogged so we had to call housekeeping and the drain area quite slimy.... yack. Overall all was just not like in memory. Still a great place to visit due to the hotel itself but not as exciting anymore. We will look for a new place next time when in need.

We found out why things were different. 6 months earlier the General Manager had changed and standards apparently are not being kept anymore.

Room Tip: rooms in higher floor seem to be in better shape
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank zenfinger

Bonjour Mabuhay!

We appreciate that you have taken the time to share your experiences with us. It is through your feedback that we are able to know which areas we lack so we can take appropriate measures and recognize where improvement is required. We aim to provide all our guests the superior service experience that is due to ensure that utmost satisfaction is achieved. Your disappointment regarding your recent visit is very sad to hear. Pleased be assured that this is not of Sofitel standards and we hope that we will have another opportunity to show to you the magnifique experience that the Sofitel brand promises.

Reviewed February 20, 2014

I have traveled a lot because of work. When I traveled, I usually stayed at Sofitel Hotel. Sometimes I had stayed at other Hotels , too, because of some reasons like location of our branch.
But I have been happy and comfortable time when I stayed at Sofitel. Especially, I feel very comfortable in Mania Sofitel Hotel. Their employees are very kind and make customers feel comfortable.
I was impressed when many employees remembered what kind food I like, what kind view I like..etc...
About room: Actually I like Sofitel Hotel room compared with other hotels, but Manila Sofitel is almost same quality in other Sofitel Hotel. But the view of Manila Sofitel Hotel is really excellent. and fresh air, too.
I like Club Millesime. Food is nice and employees are very kind and always smile. And willing to help all the time. Very impressive.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Sofitel.com
Sofitel-Philippines, Manager at Sofitel Philippine Plaza Manila, responded to this reviewResponded February 21, 2014

Bonjour Mabuhay!

Thank you for making Sofitel your choice of preference when it comes to your accommodation for business trips. It is great to know that you especially prefer Sofitel Manila mainly because of the services rendered by our ambassadors. We aim to provide excellent service experience to all our guests to ensure the utmost comfort and satisfaction throughout their entire stay. Exceeding your expectations is our goal and knowing that we are able to achieve this brings smiles to our faces. Rest assured that your compliments will be shared with the entire team to motivate them in striving even harder to perform better every time.

We look forward to having you back in our hotel.

Reviewed February 20, 2014

Stayed and booked our wedding reception. We have spent a lot of money at this hotel and we are not completely satistfied with the level of service and priority for us for an expected standard from Sofitel Manila. We live in Australia and there was very poor communication to us and it makes us wonder if Sofitel Manila can only best accommodate couples who live locally. There was a low level of service considering we booked for our reception almost 2 years ago as referred by my Auntie who lives in Manila. There were 3 weddings that day with only 1 event coordinator that handles the reception. It was very hard to get in touch with her and the emails we sent usually bounced back to us due to their full inbox. Also, I have decided to get an accor membership worth almost $400 as I have thought it would help for our wedding to be held at Sofitel. On top of our wedding reception worth about $10,000AUD,/401,750PHP my husband and I have booked another 2 nights at Sofitel for $300 with a room upgrade. You could imagine how much we have spent at this hotel they could atleast give us a poolside view for our bridal suite that was booked 2 yrs ago. Unfortunately the same-day-edit video of our wedding was the view of a building instead of their beautiful pool/bay area. In saying that, we have notified the concierge of our expectation of a good view on our arrival (4 days before the wedding day) and we were reassured of a view. To make things worse, after our wedding reception around 12am on our wedding night, we were surprised to go back to an unmade up room with no towels or toiletries. The following morning when we checked out I made sure that they take a note of it however the lady at the concierge was wondering why I didn’t call for the room to be made up. It was already 12am at that time and after a very exhausting day, do we really need to wait for them to make up our room for our wedding night? And do guests have to call for rooms to be made up? I am pretty sure that is a hotel standard to clean rooms everyday. We have stayed in a lot of 5 star hotels like Shangri-la and the Bellagio and these hotels prepare a special welcome flowers/drinks for couples on holidays so I was expecting a high standard from Sofitel for our wedding night.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank tin2qtpie

Bonjour Mabuhay!

We take pride in being part of our guests’ special celebrations and we want to ensure that these occasions are as memorable as possible by providing well-appointed products and top-notch services. To meet if not exceed, the best comfort and satisfaction is of our main concern, thus, we provide all possible assistance to achieve your expectations. It is very disappointing to know that your recent visit was not a pleasant one, which marred your overall experience of our hotel.

Thank you for sharing your concerns with us as these enable us to recognize which areas we need to be more sensitive to further enhance the guest experience. We sincerely apologize for the miscommunications caused from our end. Regardless of explanations there is, we will not tolerate any excuse that led to the service mishaps. Please be assured that the concern has been highlighted with the departments concerned and appropriate measures will be taken where applicable. You may wish to know that the incident is not of Sofitel standard thus we will ensure to monitor effectiveness to avoid any future occurrence.

It is our hope that you will give us another opportunity to be of better service to you in the near future.

Reviewed February 19, 2014

Stayed here 1 night to give the place a try. I had ate at Spiral for dinner before (and did not this time, so no comments on the huge buffet)..
I used the phone app to get a room a few days before my stay. Check in was quick.
Room was large and had a nice balcony (somehow I ordered a "luxury room"). Price was comparable to other hotels in the range (I did not pre-order or eat breakfast since I was leaving for an early flight).
Room was quiet, bed was comfortable, and check out was also quick.
Positives -- The ground are beautiful. Lots of places to sit and relax, beautiful pool area (with water slide), room was large, view from balcony was wonderful (overlooked the bay), Wifi worked well, bathroom as spacious, shower was hot, bed was comfortable, and I did not notice any noise (I was just outside elevators). I was in a non-smoking room and I could not smell any smoke. Found the ATM on site.
Negatives (though not distracting) -- cleaning supply smell in hallway, lots of upsale for food and taxis, no hot tub (that I could find)..

Room Tip: Try to avoid the elevator and rooms that have a shared door.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo

Bonjour Mabuhay!

We thank you for making us your accommodation preference in your recent visit to the Philippines. It is wonderful to know that you were able to make use of our new mobile application that made it more convenient to facilitate your check-in process.

It is with joy on our part to learn of your pleasant stay experience, commending especially the guest room, the services offered, gorgeous views of Manila Bay and the overall hotel facilities. Your comments will be shared to the rest of the Sofitel Manila team to serve as motivation to continually strive for excellence and for further improvement needed on other services

It is a pleasure to be of service to you again soon.

Reviewed February 18, 2014

Being a 5-Star Hotel-- i expected too much, however, because we booked for a business conference it was a chaos. We queued for so long to be checked-in considering we already pre-registered. My luggage was misplaced, the bell-service was no-where to be found and the front service officer was maybe a bit too tired to smile. On the brighter side, the room was huge with a very great view(facing the Manila Bay). The restaurant was great as well, with a very wide range of selection.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
Sofitel-Philippines, Manager at Sofitel Philippine Plaza Manila, responded to this reviewResponded February 19, 2014

Bonjour Mabuhay!

We appreciate that you took the time to share your experience. It is sad to know that your recent stay with us was not to your expectations brought about by the service lapses encountered. Your comments have been shared with the Departments Heads concerned for immediate attention.

Amidst the challenges, we are pleased to know that you enjoyed the gorgeous views of Manila Bay from your room and also the wide selection of food in Spiral.

It will be our pleasure to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed February 17, 2014

Celebrated our wedding anniversary here. It's a 5-star hotel facing Manila bay. It has the perfect view of the sunset and sunrise - aptly for lovebirds and romantic couples. This is one of the more popular hotel in the Philippines - mainly because of the location.

Front-desk personnel were warm and polite. Check-in, being a Saturday, was a long queue. While waiting for our room, I had my kid go to their activity place to keep her preoccupied. Use is free but if your kid is going to use craft items, you have to pay for it.

The hotel has a well-designed swimming pool which my daughter truly loves. What I love most in Sofitel, is its beds - they're very relaxing just like a memory foam.

We just had a hiccup during the breakfast buffet. They wanted to charge me for an additional person when my helper fed my kid (5-yr old) during breakfast. Eventually, I talked reason to the buffet service attendant.

Room Tip: Choose a room facing the pool. It also faces the bay. Great view of sunset or sunrise.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family

Bonjour Mabuhay!

Being a part of our guests’ special celebration is always a pleasure. Thank you for making us your preference and we are very glad to know that you had a nice stay.

It is great that you and your family appreciated the strategic location of the hotel that showcases the gorgeous views of the Manila Bay, the warm and polite staff, the comfortable MyBeds and of course, the famous lagoon-shaped pool. The hotel aims to cater to guests of all ages, thus creating programs for little kids to ensure utmost enjoyment. Complimentary as well as activities with nominal fee are available at the Kid’s Tent.

We look forward to having you back for your family’s next staycation.

Quality Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Manila
Walled City
Pan Pacific Manila
#2 of 109 in Manila
Conrad Manila
#3 of 31 in Pasay

Been to Sofitel Philippine Plaza Manila? Share your experiences!