“Good Service is One Thing, but Consistency is Key”

Sofitel Philippine Plaza Manila
Ranked #3 of 110 Hotels in Manila
Reviewed May 2, 2013

This is not a good review nor is it a bad one just like my experience at Sofitel. I'll try to be as objective as possible.

Reservations: +
- Courteous & helpful even if we were the ones who made a mistake in our booking.

Front Office during check in: -
- "i'm too busy to entertain your needs" kind of experience which I wouldn't expect from a luxury hotel. Our room was released at around 4:30PM considering we were there at around 2:30. We have been to a lot of hotels and we were also made to wait at some, all of them had a lounge/ballroom where we waited, served welcome drinks and had our keys brought to us when rooms were ready. The least that Sofitel can do if guests are to pick up room keys is come up with an express counter during peak days for that sole purpose. My wait for key pick up was longer than the check in process. Staff from the front office looked kind of harassed, thus this affected the overall ambiance of the property. A guest will feel as stressed as the staff serving him if not worse.

Outlets: - for dinner & + for breakfast
During dinner, staff might have their hands full but what I do not understand is that I have tried to call them a couple of times and they seemed to pretend not to see me. It was a good 15 minutes until I decided to be the one to approach them at the bar. One of the kids we were with wanted Carbonara. One waiter said it was impossible, we have to order from what's in the Menu while another waiter said she can have it done they'll just charge us a certain amount. NOTE: They both didn't know I asked them the same thing.
Staff for breakfast was a great contrast from staff from the night shift. All our requests were entertained. Great food and selection though.

Rooms: + -
They were big, clean and the veranda was great.:) Although the toiletries container in one of our rooms was broken and the broken part was the one facing out, they could have at least turned it around.:)

Checking out: +
The staff was pleasant. Although she missed the fact that we had credits to be deducted from our entire bill, I missed it too and I was not able to remind her, so it was also a fault from my end as well. But this is part of our room promo, I don't think it calls for a reminder.

Amenities: + -
Showing some age but they, especially the pool, were nice. Green metal sheet covering bay = not so nice.

Bottomline is even if some staff are trying really hard to give impeccable service, a chain is only as good as its weakest link.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
Sofitel-Philippines, Manager at Sofitel Philippine Plaza Manila, responded to this reviewResponded May 5, 2013

Bonjour Mabuhay from Sofitel Philippine Plaza Manila!

Thank you for choosing Sofitel Manila and for taking the time to tell us about your experience!

We are glad to hear that you room and our staff were to your satisfaction.

However, we regret that you are not pleased with the check in process and the lunch service; this is not according to our usual high standard of service we offer to our guests. At Sofitel, we ensure all employees are totally customer-focus and all guest concerns and requests are handled quickly and efficiently. Rest assured that everything will do everything to improve.

Once again, thank you for staying with us and we are looking forward of welcoming you in the near future.

Reviewed May 2, 2013

My family used to spend many weekends at the erstwhile Westin Philippine Plaza, now Sofitel Philippine Plaza when I was a small girl. After a long time, it was rather nice to be back at my sentimental favorite. None can beat the resort’s location and sunset view. It is a most photogenic property, can still remember through my memory’s sepia lens, Arturo Luz sculptures in the lobby and the glorious buffets at Pier Seven.

These days rooms have thankfully been updated to suit 21st century standards, not luxurious, but at least spotless with a great blast of cold, cold airconditioning on this scorching Manila summer. Rooms have renovated baths, but the phones my goodness and the creaky sliding doors are practically antiques from the Eighties!

Our family was given a fantastic view of the rooftop in a room near the noisy service elevator upon arrival, since I used my Accor complimentary night card after promised a room facing the pool. Actually this card is not complimentary since I actually bought it for about US$150 so they should give a nice room and we paid the usual rate for our second night. Reception should know about these things already. So tiring to have to be on guard, why not simply offer a smooth experience?

After complaining, we were duly upgraded to a corner room on a high floor. Then during the kids’ afternoon naps, reception woke us up offering massages, sigh. Just wish Manila hotels will catch up with 21st century service: snappy, considerate, sincere and discreet. To be fair, service in other areas were decent. The pool crew was attentive and always smiling and the Spiral people were most professional.

The resort is really suitable for a staycation but pity the pool area is still under renovation and surroundings look a bit tired. Sofitel’s saving grace is no doubt the newly re-opened Spiral buffet. Choices are varied, the experience one of a kind. Much has been written about it. Yes it is the best hotel buffet in Manila. Room service food quality is also good--- delightful pancake breakfast with crisp linens and old school cutlery. What a throwback, and a fine reminder that the Philippine Plaza as I will always call it, is still a grand dame.

Room Tip: rooms facing the bay or pool

Bonjour Mabuhay from Sofitel Philippine Plaza Manila!

Thank you for sharing your experiences with us during your recent stay.
We are pleased to hear that you appreciated the fantastic view our hotel offer and the magnifique service of our hotel ambassadors.

At Sofitel Manila, we truly appreciate all our Le Club loyalty card holders unfortunately we did meet your expectations, and we apologies for any inconvenience.

Your helpful comments have been passed on to the relevant department heads for their information and necessary action. Please rest assured that the comfort and the satisfaction of our guests are our first priority.

Thank you and we do hope this experience will not deter you from using Sofitel Manila in the future.

Reviewed May 1, 2013

I stayed for 2 nights on the Club Millesime floor.

The Club is excellent - spacious, with great food and drink and terrific staff.

Alas no other aspect of the stay reached those heights and the main issue for me was the noise, day and night.

My first room was facing south-east - NOT the 'bay/pool side. I arrived after dark and just went to bed, aware of some dogs barking and some clanking/machinery noise outside. I was woken at 5:45am by loud barking dogs, which continued on and off until I left the room. From the balcony I could see that the noise was coming from the hotel kennels (guard / sniffer dogs) and the noise erupted every time some-one walked past or went to the kennels. The mechanical noise I think was from a barge loading stone for sea-wall repairs the next day.

I asked for room on the other side of the hotel. I was warned that there would be noise there too, with the repairs to the sea wall. I was really surprised when I could not be told if the noise was going to occur during the night. Anyway I risked it, as it couldn't be worse than barking dogs, and swapped over to the pool/bay view side in an hour or so.

Well, the construction noise wasn't worse, but it was audible from about 7:30am until about 5pm. However the real problem started with the dinner function that started in the grounds of the hotel in a permanent tent structure. Announcements, followed by dance music noise occurred until about 11pm. I could hear it through the closed doors even with ear-plugs in! I complained and asked if they could just turn their volume down a bit, so guests 200 m away, with doors shut and earplugs in didn't have to have the dance noise?? I was offered to change rooms (again) -but by this time I was in bed trying to get to sleep and I didn't see why they simply couldn't be instructed to turn their speaker volume down?

It is really bad that a hotel blasts noise straight across into guest's rooms. This is not a new phenomenon, as other reviews here show. Guests should be entitled to the quiet enjoyment of their rooms. The hotel should not 'double dip' by selling the area that it has for its guests (the grounds) a second time for a tented function.

I received a call from a duty manager in the morning and a visit from a duty manager in the Club Lounge before I departed and they were genuinely concerned and apologetic about my experience; I also received a 20% deduction from my food and beverage charges - thank-you. Their obvious concern was appreciated. But as I pointed out, this function noise was not a one-off, but happens ?every week? And there is no excuse for allowing the music and PA to be at the volume it was. The function guests could have enjoyed themselves just as much without the music bearing across the hotel grounds.

Also inexcusable is not to let guests know about the state of the hotel grounds and that the well-known pool area and lawns are a construction area. The sea-wall is being repaired. Yes, it has to be done, and there is no 'good time' for guests so be aware that during this work, there is a 10 foot high steel fence cutting off all views and access to the bay from the pool area, and there is constant noise of rock being unloaded during the day, with jack hammers from time to time. Forget any relaxation by the pool.

The 'Spiral' buffet was fantastic, and an experience in itself - but not cheap.

Staff I found to be uniformly very helpful, friendly and pleasant to deal with.

This would be a nice place to stay, once they get rid of the barking dogs and the repairs to the sea wall are finished. If you plan to visit any time soon, ask about the construction around the pool, the noise from the works and the dog kennels.

Personally I would avoid the Sofitel for the time being.

Room Tip: Beware noise - ask about this - from sea wall repairs and functions on the nrth side, and barking do...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business

Bonjour Mabuhay from Sofitel Philippine Plaza Manila!

Thank you for your honest and constructive feedback.

We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed our food and beverage at Club Millesime, and Spiral. Spiral offers a wide selection of all dishes and recreates 21 Ateliers where secret recipes are masterfully prepared right in front of every guest.

Following your comment, in order to be prepared for the next rainy season, we are currently working on our seawall rehabilitation to ensure the safety and security of our guests and employees. We sincerely apologies for any inconvenience referring back to the noise from the on-going construction. Rest assured that we will take the appropriate actions.

We sincerely hope that this experience you encountered has not permanently affected your perception and we look forward to better serve you in the near future.

Reviewed May 1, 2013

I stayed from 24 - 26 and 30 - 31 January 2013. Sofitel was a nice hotel in good location. Easy to go to the airport and other Metro Manila area. I had a seaview room on both occasion. The kingsize bed was good. Bathroom was also good and clean. Breakfast was exellent. Too bad there was no wifi in room.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends

Bonjour Mabuhay from Sofitel Philippine Plaza Manila!

Thank you for choosing Sofitel Manila as your accommodation on your recent stay. We are very pleased to hear that you find our hotel’s location to be magnifique.

We are glad that you appreciated our bathroom facilities, breakfast in Spiral and the wonderful view of the Manila Bay. The ‘My Bed’ concept is indeed very comfortable and designed to make you feel like sleeping on clouds.

However, we regret that you experience some inconvenience regarding the internet, we do offer free internet in all our public spaces and our club rooms.

Thank you again for sharing your experience, and we are looking forward to see you in the near future.

Reviewed May 1, 2013

I stayed at Sofitel form 18th till 25th of April 2013.

I received a very warm welcome and was escorted to he Club Millesime floor.
The room was very nice and had all comfort. The bed was amazing and sleeping was not a problem, however my room was located at a side where all night a ship was loading of rocks what was very noisy.

Unfortunately I had to change my room as above my room was a family with children who made too much noise the whole day and night and was transferred to a room on the 11th Floor at the pool side, however this was totally different form the Club Millesime floor as this was just a luxury room, so I asked to be transferred back to the Club Millesime floor, and got a room 1 day later, viewing the pool side which was very nice.

The staff of Cub Millesime was really excellent and very helpful and anticipated in all my needs.
They do everything to make your stay a pleasant stay and really taking care of you.
Including the Housekeeping and Room Service staff who are very good and excellent in performance.

Breakfast in the Club Millesime is excellent and their coffee is amazing :-) S re the cooks who create every day very nice snacks, and other goodies for your pleasure.

Service in the hotel was excellent, however every day I got a free wake up call from somewhere outside as it seemed that there was something going on with aerobics or whatever and the "boom boom" sound was very loud....sometimes it went on until 11 pm what was not so nice as it was not possible to relax a bit on the balcony as it seems that the "DJ" was the one who liked his/her music the most. It was also that the hotel also host lots of weddings, meetings etc. and unfortunately not everybody is so quite at nights.

The rooms have a balcony but strange enough there are no chairs and/or a small table, so I had to ask for them and they were promptly delivered, but asked myself why this was not in the first place.

The food in Spiral restaurant is outstanding and so much choice...service excellent and pricing is good.

Food in the Bistro is fine, but unfortunately service very slow. and Ireceived my main course earlier than my starter...:-)

I understood that the hotel was undergoing some renovations and accepted this, but drilling late in the evening was a bit too much, as it is not possible to sleep then.

As I stay mostly in Sofitel all around the world, it was a bit disappointing that I never had a chance to meet the manager as I did in the other Sofitels. I always stay at the Club Millesime floor what is the "business floor" and it was a bit disturbing to see young children at breakfast who were screaming all the time....not a good way to start your business day.
To see people coming inside not following a proper dress code and it is not so nice to see people walking around in the morning in shorts and sloppy t-shirts and almost bare feet or their feet in open slippers or likewise.
As I noticed there was dress code in the other restaurants in the hotel, I would suggest that this was for sure in Club Millesime.

But...All by all, this hotel is very good, nice location and especially the staff on Club Millesime floor is excellent and I enjoyed every day.
The hotel needs some little improvement here and there but for sure I will return to Sofitel Manila.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Sofitel-Philippines, Manager at Sofitel Philippine Plaza Manila, responded to this reviewResponded May 2, 2013

Bonjour Mabuhay from Sofitel Philippine Plaza Manila!

Thank you for sharing with us your experiences at the Sofitel Manila.

Your feedback with the service rendered by our Club Millesime, Housekeeping and Room Service anbassadors were an enormous encouragement to the whole team to keep on impressing our guests with professional, efficient and pleasant service.

We have taken note of all points of your detailed feedback. Rest assured that we have informed our Club Millesime team and our Director of Rooms regarding your comments.

We sincerely appreciate you bringing up all these issues to us and would like to apologize most sincerely for the inconvenience and disappointment we have caused you.

Thank you for staying with us and we look forward to serving you again.

Reviewed May 1, 2013

+ very beautifull big hotel
best and largest breakfast buffet ever
friendly staff
nice located out of the busy city

- very small twin beds, in fact I would say they are single beds
There are renovation works going on now , nobody warned us by booking
after asking I got discount.
But you have to know it since it is next to the pool so no nice view and less place around the pool
no free wifi in your room officialy

1  Thank 1650isa

Bonjour Mabuhay from Sofitel Philippine Plaza Manila!

Thank you for your wonderful feedback! We are honoured that you had a pleasant stay with us.

Spiral offers a wide variety of international dishes and we are glad that you appreciated the breakfast, the hotel ambiance, our friendly ambassadors and the hotel location.

However, we apologise for the inconvenience caused through the seawall rehabilitation, we are working together with the government in order to be prepared for the next rainy season to ensure the safety and security of our guests and employees.

Appropriate actions will be taken and rest assured that all Department Heads concerned have been informed to address this matter.

We sincerely hope that this experience you encountered has not permanently affected your perception and we are looking forward to your next visit.

Reviewed April 30, 2013

From Check in to check out, it was a pleasant and relaxing experience for all the family. My husband says all the amenities provided for business meetings he attends regularly are outstanding. As for us, who just stay in and enjoy the hotel, my husband's conventions are something we all look forward to. I love the down pillows, coverlet and the fragrance of the L' Occitane products that permeate the room. NO gross sticky carpets or cigarette smells here! The bathrooms are immaculate. The linens are immaculate! Even the drapes are free from dusty musty smells which I can detect at once when I enter a room. My children enjoy all the facilities and I love the massges at the Spa. But the best thing in Sofitel is hands down, SPIRAL. It is heaven! When we went there once for a champagne brunch, the waiter gave our table a whole bottle of champagne ( I forgot what it was but it was not Asti, it was french!). The different food ateliers are all wonderful! Stay at least 4 hours to sample them all! ( One must pace themselves) for me my absolute favorite and I kid you not, is probably the only stinky room in the hotel... THe cheese room! I can just die! Everytime we go back it has all the ols staples but alwaysthere are new meats and cheeses to try.And thE Sofitel makes THE BEST CROISSANTS IN METRO MANILA! My friends who know me, will agree when I say this is the best, IT IS!

Room Tip: Tell the front desk what you want and they will stop at nothing to give it to you. When we said we w...

Bonjour Mabuhay from Sofitel Philippine Plaza Manila!

Thank you for expressing recognition on your excellent stay in our hotel and for sharing your magnifique experiences with us.

We are pleased to know that you enjoyed the room as well as the facilities and the amenities. Our beds are indeed soft and comfortable, which are two of the unique characteristics within the Sofitel MyBed concept.

Thank you for complimenting our Spiral restaurant a showcase of Passion for Excellence, reflecting the French and Philippine savoir−vivre.

Thank you again, we look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back.