Sofitel Philippine Plaza Manila
  • Room Service
  • Beachfront
  • Room Service
5,195 results
All reviewsspiral restaurantle barclub millesimeluxury roomsunset barsports barpool areaclub roomthe executive loungefree shuttledinner buffetbay viewfive star hotelupon checkaccormagnifiquesnaps
FilterAll languages
Reviewed February 12, 2013

The location of the holtel next to the bay was superb. The views, the sunset was all uplifting. Our room was on the sixth floor directly above the stunning pool and just sitting on the terrace looking out to the bay and the pool, was an experience unto itself.

Service was superb and the breakfast that came with our stay was excellent except for the local filipino food which we thought was quite inferior to the superb filipino dishes especially their chorizo/langonisa and the tapa which was almost all gristle and so was very tough.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the bay.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank marlucab
Sofitel-Philippines, Manager at Sofitel Philippine Plaza Manila, responded to this reviewResponded February 14, 2013

Bonjour! Mabuhay from Sofitel Philippine Plaza!

Thank you so much for the invaluable review. We are glad that you had an excellent stay in our property, and enjoyed the view of the pool, the bay and the world famous Manila Bay sunsets.

We are happy that you also enjoyed your breakfast at Spiral and the excellent service of our staff. I have made a note of your comment on the Filipino food and corrective action has been taken to ensure higher guest satisfaction.

It was great to have you with us, and we look forward to serving you again in the near future.

Regards,

Reviewed February 10, 2013

My partner and I stayed five days (Jan 31 to Feb 4) in Sofitel Philippine Plaza during my business trip to Manila. Unfortunately, we faced a lot of problems, just too many, considering this is a five-star hotel.
We'll soon stay in Sofitel Philippine Plaza again (Feb 17 to 21). We hope our stay this time would be more enjoyable and relaxing than the last one.

BOOKING
- Making the reservation was easy and fast as usual on Sofitel.com.

MODIFYING THE BOOKING
- After I had booked a luxury room, I emailed to the hotel and requested a room upgrade to a Club Millesime room. (The room upgrade is one of the benefits for the gold card holders of the Le Club Accor Hotels).
- I received an automatic reply, an error message, that claimed the hotel's inbox was full. I reported this immediately to a general manager by email. He or anyone else from the hotel never bothered to reply me.
- After a couple of days, I got bored of waiting if someone will some day get back to me. I called to the hotel. An agent on the phone said me she can't help me and will forward me to someone else. She put me on hold. Again, after waiting for several minutes I decided to hang up to avoid a horrible phone bill for nothing.
- In Europe, I've gotten used to receive a reply within 24 hours. It's unacceptable for a five-star hotel to let its customers wait longer -- no matter where the hotel is located when it's a part of an international luxury hotel chain. It has to provide the same quality of service all over the world.
- Four days after my first contact, I finally received a reply from the hotel: my upgrade was confirmed.
- The first impression of the Sofitel Phlippine Plaza was disappointing and frustrating.

ARRIVING AND CHECK IN
- The check in was an example how good a five-star service can be. It was quick and hustle free.
- When arriving to Manila airport, one of the hotel's staff members was waiting for us. She took us into an airport lounge and soon we're in a car on our way to the hotel. We got some water, OJ and cold towels. And that's what we really needed after a 13-hour flight.
- After 20 minutes from arriving to the airport, we're already in our room. The check in was made there in a few minutes and we're asked if we like our room.
- The lobby of this mega resort was same time impressive and uninviting. It felt like a mall or airport, not a luxurious hotel in the first place. There was just too many people, both guests and workers. Every single time you pass a staff member you hear "Bonjour, Mabuhay", or "good morning, sir", or "good afternoon, sir", or "good evening, sir". When you hear this more than ten times on your way from main doors to your room it starts to be annoying.

QUALITY OF SERVICE
- I was addressed "Ms." instead of "Mr." by the reservation agent. It's wasn't a big deal first but that's what it became: the very same agent continuously addressed me "Ms." even if there was "Mr." before my name in my email signature and I mentioned her twice about this. I had also assigned me as "Mr." when making the reservation. I never received any apologies from the agent. This gave an unprofessional and careless image of the service.
- I had red on the Internet some loyalty cards gives 50% discount on the famous buffet dinner in Spiral restaurant. After we had checked us in, I asked if we could benefit the discount with our Accor Hotel's Gold Card. The answer was yes. Later I went to the Club Millesime to request a table reservation for us. This time I was told that Accor Hotel's Gold Card doesn't allow the discount. I was given an incorrect information but didn't receive any apologies or compensation.
- One night when returning to our room, we found two large gift boxes and grocery bags beside our bed. We informed this to the Club Millesime agents who started to investigate what had happen. After 15 minutes, the gift boxes and grocery bags were taken away by bellboys. Again, no compensations for the inconvenience.
- The concierge doesn't order a metered taxi if you don't insist. They first try the guests to choose hotel's partner cars that use fixed prices and are way more expensive than normal taxis. For us they called a metered taxi just after I complained to Club Millesime's assistant manager about hotel's taxi policy.

ROOM
- Our Club Millesime room was spacious, luxurious and clean. I wish I could have similar bed, pillows and blanket at home. Sleep quality was better than home to be honest.
- Free Wi-Fi was super slow. IT staff tried to figure out the problem but it didn't help.
- We're expecting Hermes toiletries -- since they have those in Sofitels in Europe -- but got some less known French brand.

CLUB MILLESIME
+ Stylish and elegant decor
+ Decent selection of newspapers and magazines
+ Good quality chocolates pralines and freshly squeezed orange and mango juices
- "Wine tasting", as they call it, turned out to be just serving two different red wines (Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot) and one white wine (Chardonnay)
- No proper dinner, only snacks, and selection is same day after day
- Wi-Fi was faster than in our room but still too slow
- Buffet breakfast was available only in weekends

SPA
- Steam room was out of order in two days during our five-days stay. One day, when the steam room was working dry sauna was cold instead because the spa staff had forgotten to restart the sauna.
- One has to choose between jacuzzi, cold pool and sauna or swimming pool outside. The hotel policy didn't allow us to go from sauna to outside pool.

LOCATION
- Far enough from everything one always have to take taxi. On the other hand the area is peaceful compared to Ermita, Malate, or Makati.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank travelboyc
Sofitel-Philippines, Manager at Sofitel Philippine Plaza Manila, responded to this reviewResponded February 12, 2013

Bonjour! Mabuhay from Sofitel Philippine Plaza!

Thank you for taking the time to bring to our attention your experience during your last stay at our hotel. Your review is very detailed and we find it very helpful that we could go point by point to re-evaluate each area that you specified and address the key items properly. We at Sofitel Manila constantly strive hard to ensure that our facilities and services exceed guest expectations, and your opinion certainly assist us in achieving this goal.

We sincerely appreciate that despite the challenges you experienced, you have granted us a second chance to provide you with excellent service which you, our valued guest, truly deserve. Thank you very much, and we look forward to your arrival on the 17th!

Kind regads

Reviewed February 10, 2013

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Sofitel-Philippines, Manager at Sofitel Philippine Plaza Manila, responded to this reviewResponded February 10, 2013

Reviewed February 9, 2013

We locals choose to visit Sofitel time and time again because of the pool and of the Bayview. It makes one feel lucky to be living where we get to see such sunset each day. Love the renovated rooms too!

Love the poolside cafe, the pool, the bay!

I just hate how strict they have become re guest bringing in food from outside. We can only eat so much hotel food, we had breakfast here, had merienda by the poolside, had dinner at Spirals, it isnt too much to want to buy food outside and eat it in the room too. A great staycation means having fun eating in the hotel room. The guards being so strict about us bringing in food is bordering ridiculous. I have never encountered such problem in any other hotel we have stayed in anywhere in the world :( suck big time! Ruins the experience, I wonder what the foreigners think about this. I would absolutely hate not being able to bring in food after being out on a whole day abroad.

If you are not from the Philippines staying over, please try to have a buffet in Spirals, it is awesome and something am proud of. Yes it is so expensive and yes it is an indulgence but it is also an experience. Also make time for a swim and for lounging around. The pool is really great and the feel of the poolside cafe is also something you would want to experience. The servers at the poolside cafe are really nice and friendly.

Oh having sa bathtub for all room types would be a great!

Room Tip: Poolside view is the best!
2  Thank BenzRana

Bonjour! Mabuhay from Sofitel Philippine Plaza!

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments regarding your most recent stay at our hotel. We are delighted that you enjoyed Spiral and the lagoon shaped pool.

It is pleasure to hear that you are one of our loyal guests which returning on a regular base.
With regards to your comment on the food deliver and the security, our guest’s wellbeing and safety is one of our top priorities in this hotel. Indeed our security is tight but it is for our guest’s own welfare as we otherwise cannot control the food hygiene standards. However we regret that you encountered some challenges with this. We hope that this experience will not deter you from staying with us again.

We are waiting for your return to welcome you back at Sofitel Philippine Plaza Manila

Director of Quality Management

Reviewed February 9, 2013

I live in Asia.
I travel a lot.
I sleep in hotels about 1/6th of the year.

I love three things -
. a clean room
. a shower that has HOT HOT water with a lot of water pressure
. HONESTY in advertising/service levels

I don't rank the 3 things - They are ALL equally important.

If a hotel said - well, we HAVE hot hot water, but the pressure is sort of bland .... COOOL.
I'd love that honesty.

SO....

how about a branded 5 star hotel which PURPOSEFULLY LIES?
Example? Well ... if you go on a major site for searching for hotels

which is www.B**k*ng.com and search for a hotel IN MANILA

which has AIRPORT SHUTTLE ... you'll find that SOFITEL is their

#1 recommendation.

>>> I was STUNNED to arrive into Manila, walk the EXTRA
distance to the Sofitel Hotel Shuttle location (it's a moldy smelly
room shared with other hotels) to be told by the attendant that the
cost of the shuttle is PHP 1,500 (approximately USD 40).

After discussing about how there must be some mistake, i was
ensured there is NO FREE SHUTTLE. oh... well, thanks for the fake
advertising.

We took the metered taxi. Total price? About USD 3.

Upon arrival at the hotel, I asked the front desk staff WHY they would advertise
free SHUTTLE ... as the hotel booking website (booking.com) had a
staff member set the settings. She didn't care. I was like ,fine, so
management isn't good - forget it .

With the desk clerk,I confirmed the details of WHAT I THOUGHT was my booking (free
breakfast, 1 night, X room, etc).
She confirmed I was correct.

THE ROOM:
Very nice. Nice floor plan
Great mattress... super comfortable
Lots of pillows.
Awesome AC
Balcony with an OK view
100% perfect hot water. HOT HOT HOT - hotter than I need (which
is STUPID hot) and super strong pressure.

After check-in - we got an unexpected, completely 5 star hotel
surprise. A woman named DONNA called, stated that her job was to
ask about the hotel, and if it met our expectations.

I said, "Well Donna, thank you for you call. No, the HOTEL does not
meet my expectations. I had to pay for the shuttle bus which was
supposed to be free, and I checked in 30 minutes ago.... and no one
else has called. So, Donna, I don't feel appreciated."

Donna, amazingly said, "Thank you sir. Have a good night".

No one ever followed up - for the 2nd time.

So we took a taxi (metered) to downtown to dinner

The following morning, we of course went for breakfast (during the
USA's Superbowl halftime ... which was frustrating, because before I booked the hotel, I called it
and asked if they would have a live feed. After being on hold (on an international call from China) about
15 minutes ... I was told YES.... of course that wasn't true. They had
the LOCAL channel -- without the commercials -- I must have been
crazy to expect accuracy).

The breakfast is spectacular. An OVERWHELMING list of options.
Marvelous cheese and meat options, Asian, western. EVERYTHING.
5 star fantastic service. Amazing layout. I can't say enough GREAT
things about the breakfast options.

Anyway, so after breakfast, I went to my room ,to packup and
checkup.

I received a phone call from the maitre-des asking if I would pay in
cash, or on check out. I was frustrated to be told that breakfast cost PHP 4,300 (USD 110) for two people. I informed her that I'd talk to the Front Desk
manager at check out.

When I arrived the front desk, they asked if they could help, and to
their credit, when I stated my room number, the clerk said "one
moment please."

When the manager (Mr. Jone?) arrived ... he was FANTASTIC.
I was in a 'smile' mode ... and instead of complaining, asked "is that
acceptable" type questions.

He was great - and said someone would follow up.
I left my personal email account address.

It's more than 5 days later.
no one followed up
If you search hotels with Airport Shuttle (which is totaly different
than PAY FOR LIMO/TAXI SERVICE) you still find them.

Frustrating is that in a weeks time, I'll be BACK in Manila, wanting
to stay in a 5 star hotel ...

In my opinion, why reward a dishonest property?

1  Thank rawsushi
Sofitel-Philippines, Manager at Sofitel Philippine Plaza Manila, responded to this reviewResponded February 17, 2013

Bonjour! Mabuhay from Sofitel Philippine Plaza!

Thank you very much for sharing such detailed review of your stay. We regret that you experienced such challenges and the team have started looking at the points you enumerated.
Please be informed that we double checked our hotel page on the online travel site you mentioned and did not see any false claim. We have a dedicated team that ensures accuracy and consistency in all the information and contents we publish across all online channels. We at

Sofitel Manila take pride of our brand standards and marketing ethics and rest assured that what we publish online are true and accurate to protect not just our brand reputation, but also the interest of our valued guests.

Thank you once again for bringing your feedback to our attention. We hope to see you again at Sofitel!

Regards,