“A golden cage”

Sofitel Philippine Plaza Manila
Ranked #3 of 109 Hotels in Manila
Reviewed November 19, 2012

No doubt is the Sofitel Plaza Manila a very good hotel with high quality standards. Obviously, if you’re a traveler who visit a city because he wants to see and feel it, this is totally not the place you want to stay. The Sofitel is a golden cage for the wealthy and if this is what you are looking for, read on. The hotel is heavily guarded – before your taxi is allowed to progress up to the entrance its trunk and

Bottom will be checked and a dog will be sniffing for bombs. At the entrance you’ll be briefly patted down, walk through a metal detector plus have your baggage x-rayed. Had I wanted to, I’m pretty confident I could have walked in there with a gun on me every single time. Which leads me to think they do this mostly for show. First entering the lobby leaves quite an impression – uniformed girls opening the doors, pretty young girls in beautiful dresses greet you with “bonjour”, the hall oozes class and luxury. My room was great: super comfortable bed, a desk with a good office chair – a good setting for working which I had to do in the evening. There’s a very nice pool outside with deckchairs and towels – swimming a few rounds is a great way to start the day. Neither did I have breakfast nor did I have time to go to the gym but I’d be very surprise if there was anything to complain about. Free WiFi in the lobby is something I expect from any hotel and other than many business hotels the Sofitel actually offers that. Excellent! There are plenty of other things to like about the hotel, like the bakery in the lobby that sold me pastry after 1:00 in the morning – at a very reasonable price.

Mind you, not everything about the hotel is great. First there’s the location which is in the middle of nowhere. Yes, you have a nice view over Manila Bay but it comes at the cost of not being able to reach anything else by foot. The hotel takes advantage of this by making you use their “taxi service” for which they charge three times the ordinary cost (a 90 pesos ride set me back 300 pesos). I’m sure when asked the management will tell you this is just for your own safety, with all the cab drivers out there that overcharge… Rest assured, the hotel cab drivers will try to rip you off, too, but other than their colleagues they have a 200 pesos head start!. And then there are the things that I always find a bit disappointing when a 5 star location creates 5 star expectations – like the molten chocolate at the minibar or the TV channels that need resetting. But there were not many of those. I’m sure many will experience a stay at the Sofitel as a 5 star experience, I’m awarding 4 stars only for the reasons outlined in the above.

1  Thank RobertLockwoodJr
Sofitel-Philippines, Manager at Sofitel Philippine Plaza Manila, responded to this reviewResponded November 20, 2012

Bonjour! Mabuhay from Sofitel Philippine Plaza!

We would like to thank you for your positive feedback here on Trip Advisor. We truly appreciate you for taking the time to share your thoughts with us, and we are delighted that our services have pleased you. Each day, we do strive to provide only the finest experiences for our guests.

We regret that you encountered some challenges with the hotel taxi services, our prices are pre-set and our guest are informed prior to the taxi ride about the charges.

We have taken serious note of your comment regarding your comment about the room. Rest assured that all Department Heads concerned have been informed to address this matter. The internet within our lobby area is free of charge; however, we currently upgraded our internet system, which caused some unexpected login issues during the time of your stay. We hope that this experience will not deter you from staying with us again.

At Sofitel Philippine Plaza Manila we take pride in ensuring our customer’s satisfaction. Unfortunately, we did not meet your expectations. Thank you for calling our attention.

On behalf of the Sofitel Philippine Plaza Manila, I would like to extend my deepest appreciation and we hope you will allow us the opportunity to even serve you better in the future.

There are newer reviews for Sofitel Philippine Plaza Manila

Reviewed November 18, 2012

I stayed in this hotel for a business meeting, and my expectations were pretty high. The lobby was ok and the view of the Spiral restaurant was nice, but there were very few areas where you could sit unless you were dining in one of their lobby restaurants. I had a late flight leaving Manila and my shuttle didn't leave until a few hours after I checked out, so I camped out in the lobby but could not find a lot of chairs to sink into. Plus there was a steady throng of people going in and out of the hotel so I do not really recommend doing this (staying in the lobby). We asked about a late check out (230pm) but they were going to charge us an extra 1500 pesos on top of an already expensive room fee so we decided against it.

Regarding the room I stayed in, I found it to be pretty run down and it needed updating badly. The carpet was worn and the towels were also thin and needed replacing. They provided two very small bottles of water and the ones that we brought in were removed by the cleaning staff from the fridge the next day -- we found it placed on the countertop after cleaning. Apparently we couldn't store personal stuff inside the fridge due to concerns about contamination, but we were storing water bought outside since the ones they provided were not enough. The room also was very basic, and lacked a "personal touch" or an identity. I did not get to use the hotel wifi, since I called the operator and we were informed that we had to pay an extra 700 pesos for 24 hours access, only to be told by our meeting organizers that this was already paid for (close to the end of the meeting). Not sure where the problem was but at the very least this should have been communicated to me when I called asking about the internet service. The selection on TV was also very limited and half of the channels were not in english, so I couldn't resort to the TV for news or entertainment (since I couldn't use my laptop).

The service was good though. When I called for an extra floor towel, it was brought to my room promptly. My luggage was delivered to my room a few minutes after I checked in. The hotel manual mentioned something about "one touch calling" or something to that effect but couldn't find the dedicated service button on the phone, so I kept calling the operator, who assisted me promptly. However, on my last day, the room was readied for the next guest even prior to check out (I had checked out close to 12nn). I came in to find that the beddings have been removed, all the towels were on the floor, and most of the toiletries were thrown away. I was going to freshen up before I checkd out but couldn't do it since the towels were already on the floor.

All in all, the hotel was pretty generic, nothing special. The nice service at the start of my stay was a plus. Rooms need to be renovated soon.

1  Thank chuvalooh

Bonjour! Mabuhay from Sofitel Philippine Plaza!

Thank you for your detailed feedback. We truly appreciate your time and effort to share your thoughts about your experience at our hotel.

We are very pleased to hear that you appreciated our prompt services and enjoyed the view of the Spiral restaurant. However, we regret to note the points you mentioned regarding your room and miscommunication on the internet connection.

Regarding s your comment; we are in the process of upgrading all our TVs to a high-end entertainment system for interactive guests use. Additional we currently upgraded our internet system, which caused some unexpected issues during the time of your stay. We regret the inconvenience caused in this matter and assure you that everything will be done to resolve this issue.

We look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back at Sofitel Philippine Plaza Manila. On your next visit kindly contact me directly and I would be more than happy to personally arrange your stay with us.

Reviewed November 16, 2012

This is a slightly run down hotel and probably wouldn't get a Sofitel stamp in any other city. But Manila hosts many top name brands operating very average hotels.

The public areas in this hotel are very nice and recently renovated. The rooms on the other hand ( I stayed in a King Deluxe) are really tired and not of a Sofitel standard.

Stay here if you are attending a conference ( it's primarily a conference hotel) otherwise stay in Makati or Rockwell where there is much more to do.

2  Thank GlobalNomad62
Sofitel-Philippines, Manager at Sofitel Philippine Plaza Manila, responded to this reviewResponded November 19, 2012

Bonjour! Mabuhay from Sofitel Philippine Plaza!

Thank you very much for staying with us and sharing your honest feedback.

We regret that you encountered some challenges with the location of the hotel and with your room. We have taken serious note of your comment. We hope that this experience will not deter you from staying with us again.

Once again, thank you very much for choosing to stay at Sofitel, and we look forward to being of service to you in your next visit to Manila. On your next visit, kindly contact me directly and I would be more than happy to personally arrange your stay with us.

Reviewed November 16, 2012

services rendered good,properly clean,good location.we enjoyed our stay, excellent food at the spiral.helpful staff at the reception desk,registraion,check out counter.we will recommend to our friends,relatives.

1  Thank Virgilio P

Bonjour! Mabuhay from Sofitel Philippine Plaza!

We would like to thank you for expressing recognition on your excellent stay in our hotel. We are also very thankful that you have taken the time to share your magnifique experience with us.

We are delighted to read that you have enjoyed the services of our staff especially our front office team. We are also very pleased to hear that you enjoyed the excellent food at Spiral. Your kind words are most gratifying and have been shared with the whole team. This will certainly motivate them to keep up the good work.

Reviewed November 16, 2012 via mobile

The common areas and the room that i stayed in are clean and well maintained. The staff speaks english very well and are very friendly and helpful. The food is great. They have a resort-like garden where the pool is located but this location does not give you a nice view of manila bay and sometimes the sea breeze doesn't smell fresh in this area. It's a little difficult to get a taxi from this hotel but they have a shuttle service going to areas like SMX and SM mall of asia scheduled throughout the day which is very convenient. Overall I like this hotel and would love to stay here again!

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank Ginobibo

Bonjour! Mabuhay from Sofitel Philippine Plaza!

On behalf of Sofitel Philippine Plaza, I would like to extend my deepest appreciation for sharing with the Trip Advisor community about your excellent stay with our hotel.

We were very pleased to read that you had an overall excellent stay with us and particularly value our hotel. We at Sofitel Philippine Plaza do not only meet, but exceed customer expectations. We give emphasis on all aspects of the elegance of our hotel environment such as beautiful ambiance, luxurious food, high end technology, friendly and experienced staff. Your kind words on the service provided by our staff and the quality of our buffet are most gratifying and rest assured that it will be passed on to the whole team. This will certainly motivate them to keep up the good work.

We thank you for your continued support and we look forward to being of service to you in your next visit to Manila.

Reviewed November 15, 2012

I would like to commend your staff for their good service. They are all very courteous and helpful. Especially Dinica from front desk, who patiently assisted me in booking a room & Nina from clubmiles, who served with warm smile & a happy attitude. I had fantastic time staying in your hotel. Keep up the good work.

Bonjour! Mabuhay from Sofitel Philippine Plaza!

Thank you very much for your positive feedback. We truly appreciate your for taking the time to share your thoughts with us, and we are delighted that our services have pleased you.

We are very delighted to hear that you have enjoyed the courteous and helpful services of our staffs especially our Front Desk and Club Millesime team. Your gratifying words have been shared with the entire team. This will certainly motivate them to keep up the good work.

We thank you for your continued support and it is always a pleasure for us to be at your service. We look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you and your family back soon.

Reviewed November 14, 2012

1  Thank jtgomd70
Sofitel-Philippines, Manager at Sofitel Philippine Plaza Manila, responded to this reviewResponded November 15, 2012

Also consider these accommodations in or near Manila
Walled City
Pan Pacific Manila
#2 of 109 in Manila
Conrad Manila
#3 of 31 in Pasay

Been to Sofitel Philippine Plaza Manila? Share your experiences!