“Never again!”

Ranked #3 of 109 Hotels in Manila
Basel, Switzerland
“Never again!”
Reviewed November 5, 2012

We booked this Hotel because our friend told us that it's the newest in town and we decided to try it. When we checked in the receptionist was very pushy if we want to upgrade to a certain package that includes this and that.
The room has a distinctive smell, it smell like a moist cellar.
The staff on the pool side was not that friendly and helpful at all.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Sofitel-Philippines, Manager at Sofitel Philippine Plaza Manila, responded to this review, November 6, 2012

Bonjour! Mabuhay from Sofitel Philippine Plaza!

Thank you very much for staying with us and sharing your honest feedback.

We regret that you encountered some challenges in the rooms and the Pool Ambassadors. We have taken serious note of your comment and rest assured that appropriate action will be taken to avoid this kind of inconvenience in the near future. We hope that this experience will not deter you from staying with us again.

We look forward to being of service to you very soon. On your next visit, kindly contact me directly and I would be more than happy to personally arrange your stay with us.

Director of Quality Management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (801)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Yanbu, Saudi Arabia
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Staying @ Sofitel Philippine Plaza Hotel Manila is one of a kind. It is not that super luxury hotel compare to the hotel in the Arab country where i used to stay but my dream way back in the mid 70's when the hotel was newly built / operational came to a reality.
The accessibility and location is one reason of my choice using the Sofitel along with my guest. The ambiance is perfect over the view deck. Online room reservation is convenient and i had always the assurance that i can be facilitated despite that most of the rooms are fully booked.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Rey V
Sofitel-Philippines, Manager at Sofitel Philippine Plaza Manila, responded to this review, November 13, 2012

Bonjour! Mabuhay from Sofitel Philippine Plaza!

I would like to thank you for sharing with the Trip Advisor community regarding your excellent stay here in Sofitel Philippine Plaza Manila. It has been our pleasure to be of service to you.

We are pleased to read that you find the location of the hotel accessible and our online reservation convenient. We are also truly delighted that you enjoyed the ambiance over the view deck.

On behalf of the Sofitel Philippine Plaza Manila, I would like to extend my deepest appreciation for sharing with us your magnifique stay in our hotel. We hope you will allow us the opportunity to even better serve you in the near future.

Cairns, Australia
Reviewed November 3, 2012

This Hotel is the best in Manila.Its not the latest or the most recently built however it has been expensively renovated. The sheer size and location not to mention all the facilities available blow all others out of the water. I have stayed at this Hotel for 14 years now and started when it was the Westin Philippine Plaza some years back. It was then taken over by Sofitel group and expensively renovated to a high standard.
The location on Manila bay well away from noisy main roads is the best in Manila and not too far from Mall of Asia where you can shop,eat drink and even see movies etc. The pool is the lagoon type with that south sea island atmosphere overlooking the bay with amazing dreamy sunsets.
The Spiral restaurant is probably the largest buffet you will ever see in South East Asia and is extremely popular amongst the locals for special celebrations.If you are a business traveler you will not be disappointed bringing clients here for lunch or dinner. They also have the special cultural Philippine dancing shows by the pool on certain evenings with outside barbeques weather permitting. When night falls beautifully costumed Philippine ladies do a candlelight dance in the Lobby to music.
The club level has many benefits for instance if you bring a guest they drink and eat free in the lounge something that not all hotels do.
This hotel often has celebrities(shows) and large conventions here as the chosen venue because of its amazing ability to host them. As a guest you hardly notice all this happening around you because they are often located in specially set up outside buildings.
They also have many bars, a casino,a nightclub,gym and a spa.
I will back at this Hotel on 21st November 2012 and will enjoy the Philippine welcome and ambiance once again.
Stay here and you will not be disappointed and I will bet you will return again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Sofitel-Philippines, Manager at Sofitel Philippine Plaza Manila, responded to this review, November 5, 2012

Bonjour! Mabuhay from Sofitel Philippine Plaza!

Thank you very much for your positive feedback. We truly appreciate your for taking the time to share your thoughts with us, and we are delighted that our services have pleased you.

We were very pleased to read that you had an overall excellent stay with us and particularly value our hotel. We at Sofitel Philippine Plaza do not only meet, but exceed customer expectations. We give emphasis on all aspects of the elegance of our hotel environment such as beautiful ambiance, luxurious food, high end technology, friendly and experienced staff. Your kind words on the service provided by our staff and the quality of our buffet are most gratifying and rest assured that it will be passed on to the whole team. This will certainly motivate them to keep up the good work.

On behalf of Sofitel Philippine Plaza, I thank you very much for your patronage and look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon.

Quezon City, Philippines
Reviewed November 3, 2012

Our family had a great stay in Sofitel Philippine Plaza. The place was nice and very welcoming. Too bad because the play area was not functional since the place was partly damaged due to the monsoon rain last September. There was no musical band on the night of our stay. But despite that, our family had a great stay. We just wished we could stay longer if time and budget permit.=)

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Bonjour! Mabuhay from Sofitel Philippine Plaza!

I would like to thank you for sharing with the Trip Advisor community regarding your excellent stay here in Sofitel Philippine Plaza Manila. It has been our pleasure to be of service to you and your family.

We regret to note the points you mentioned regarding the playground area. Our aim and intent is to ensure that the beautifying would be finalized end of November. With regards to your comment on the musical band, Le bar is now offering a diverse live entertainment during dinner time every night while Spiral has its own Jazz band during brunch.

Once again, on behalf of the Sofitel Philippine Plaza Manila, I would like to extend my deepest appreciation for sharing with us your magnifique stay in our hotel. We hope you will allow us the opportunity to even better serve you in the near future.

New York
Reviewed November 1, 2012

I recently spent two nights in the Manila Sofitel. I was underwhelmed from the minute that I walked in. The desk clerk, although extremely pleasant immediately tryied to sell me an "upgrade package" to the Club floor. He kept pushing saying that the benefits far outweighed the cost. I was paying $125 per night and the upgrade packege was $119 per night which included free drinks in the lounge, free internet, and breakfast. Hardly a great deal.
My luggage was taken by the bellman and after 20 minutes of waiting I called down to say that it would be up soon. They called back for the tag number and eventually it got to me.
The "upgraded" room had an unhemmed curtain, was dated, and truly unattractive.
Here are the problems:
Three different staff walked into the room to make sure it was clean and in one case to see if the AC was working. The first staff knocked and I opened the door and she inspected. The second and third staff knocked once and waked in immediately.
The shower head was clogged and the water only came out of 10 % of the shower head.
The desk moved me to a new room which was much nicer, BUT the wireless at $17 per day did not work in the room so I had to use the ethernet connection which meant I had to sit at the desk.
I wrote the GM a note when I returned and received a form type email from someone and then a few days later saying received an email from an assistant manager saying that they were sorry and to let them know the next time I was in Manila.
I do not consider that a resolution and would think that they would at least refund the internet. There were breakdowns on every level.

James

Room Tip: Definitely get a refurbished room
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Makers47
Sofitel-Philippines, Manager at Sofitel Philippine Plaza Manila, responded to this review, November 20, 2012

Bonjour! Mabuhay from Sofitel Philippine Plaza!

We would like to thank you again for giving us your valuable comments on our hotel. Your feedback is extremely important because it gives us a better view on how we can improve the quality of our products and services.

On your next visit kindly contact me directly and I would be more than happy to personally arrange your magnifique stay with us.

Silverdale, Washington, United States
Reviewed October 31, 2012

This hotel was a great find. I did not find many "tourist" activitys that I would return to Manila for, but my husband and I agreed we would return if for nothing
More than to retun to this hotel. Before staying here some of the reviews claimed this hotel was overpriced I also read complaints about the price of their taxi service, while I agree the items sold in the Hotel and there taxi service are more than similar services off the property they are by no means outrageously priced. We had taken a taxi back from a local mall and the driver wanted three times the going rate and the staff happy steped In and made sure we paid only a fair price. We upgraded to a room with lounge access and it was amazing food nd drinks all day, I would defiantly suggest the upgrade. We also had an Amazing time at the spa. Like I said yes some things at this hotel cost more than others in Manila but it is 5 star quality. A vacation with this kind of treatment back in the US would have easily been 2x what we paid here, for the people who think its to much stay at the best western they had OK rooms but if you want to be treated like a king head to the Sofitel.

• Stayed October 2012

Bonjour! Mabuhay from Sofitel Philippine Plaza!

On behalf of Sofitel Philippine Plaza, I would like to extend my deepest appreciation for sharing with the Trip Advisor community about your excellent stay with our hotel.

We are delighted to read that you had an amazing time in Le Spa. Here in Le Spa, we not only offer worldwide ancient tradition but also the skill of the latest French cosmetology. Your kind words are most gratifying and have been shared with the whole team.

We thank you very much for your patronage and we look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you and your husband back soon.

Director of Quality