“Overrated”

Sofitel Philippine Plaza Manila
Ranked #3 of 110 Hotels in Manila
Reviewed September 1, 2012

I usually frequent hotels near Makati but I thought I'd try Sofitel for a friend's birthday celebration. We arrived in the hotel at around 2:15PM (check-in was at 2PM) but was advised that our room, which I reserved weeks ago, was not yet cleaned up due to late check-out of the previous occupant. We were offered to try an upgraded room instead but if we avail of that, we had to pay additional fee on top of the reservation--so thanks but no thanks.

We had to wait at the lobby for an hour for our room to be prepared. We weren't even offered any refreshments (doesnt have to be expensive eg., water??) amidst the trouble.

Some of the staff were friendly but I've received better and warmer service (eg., at Manila Pen and Makati Shang). I know it was a long weekend and they have high volume of guests (who didn't want to check-out on time) but does it have to be at the expense of the other guests?

So finally we were able to check-in after an hour of waiting and when we entered the room, it was indeed cleaned up--except for the garbage can which was not emptied.

On our last day, for some reason, the hot water in the shower became defective so I had to use cold water in showering. Breakfast buffet was very expensive for the taste and variety of food they offer (hence food choices were limited and not really WOW). I also felt as if the staff was scrambling around in a panicked state because of the flow of people so I didnt feel comfortable while having breakfast.

On a positive note though, I do appreciate that my requests (bay view and king-sized bed) were granted. We had a nice, simple and comfortable room. I LOVE the balcony where we were able to watch the sunset.

Overall, it was an average experience, but I may give this hotel another chance in the distant future, mostly because of the sunset view.

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank Denise R
Sofitel-Philippines, Manager at Sofitel Philippine Plaza Manila, responded to this reviewResponded September 18, 2012

Bonjour from Sofitel Philippine Plaza Manila!

Thank you for your valuable review. It is through feedback such as yours that enables us to improve the quality of our products and services.

Please be assured that we are taking the appropriate measures to address the product issues you experienced in order to prevent future occurrence.

Sofitel Philippine Plaza’s flagship restaurant, Spiral, will be reconceived and launched late October -early November 2012. Conceptualization and design are currently underway. Spiral will be an exciting place to be with a very special and creative dining atmosphere.

However, we only regret to note the points you mentioned on the service rendered during your check in and the condition of your room. We appreciate you bringing these issues to our attention therefore giving us the opportunity to improve. Our aim and intent is to ensure all employees are totally customer-focus and all guest concerns and requests are handled quickly and efficiently.

We strive to provide a superior experience for every guest therefore your feedback is very important to us. We hope you will allow us the opportunity to better serve you in the near future. On your next visit, kindly contact me directly and I would be more than happy personally arrange your arrival.

Reviewed August 29, 2012

Significant renovations are continuing. The entire lower level is still closed, which has pushed most of the eating to the small space on the upper level. The pool was half drained, the slides & playground were closed, and signficant construction was taking place around the pool. I understand these are beyond control of the hotel but until they are fixed, I'd recommend staying somewhere else.

My main complaint is the declining quality of the food. I use to go the Sofitel for Sunday brunch over similar hotels - The Pennisula & The Shang - becasue the quality of the food was higher. My most recent brunch was nowhere near this standard and my experience during this stay was similar. The steak I ordered for dinner resembled something I'd throw together with left-overs at home.

Until the complete the renovations and improve the food, there are better options available.

Bonjour from Sofitel Philippine Plaza Manila!

Regarding the pool, we regret that you encountered some difficulty with our pool. However, please rest assured that we have done everything possible to ensure security and safety, which are utmost in our priorities.

Reviewed August 28, 2012

Stayed overnight and wished to have stayed more than one night. The room was excellent. Bathroom was clean. Love the place and will definitely go back. The pool was terrific, too bad we didn't go for a swim. Had dinner at the pool side restaurant and tasted the best pasta in Metro Manila!! The staff was super nice..I hope they can maintain there 5 star quality!!

Room Tip: all rooms must be as GOOD as OURS!
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Sofitel-Philippines, Manager at Sofitel Philippine Plaza Manila, responded to this reviewResponded September 4, 2012

Bonjour Mabuhay from Sofitel Philippine Plaza!

Thank you very much for your valuable feedback on Tripadvisor.com, which was well received.
Indeed we are the only hotel with a lagoon-shaped swimming pool facing the beautiful Manila Bay sunset. We are grateful to read that you had an excellent stay in our hotel and particularly appreciated the pasta at the Sunset Bar.

We all look forward in welcoming you and your family here at Sofitel Philippine Plaza. Should you need further assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Reviewed August 28, 2012

This is the place where I take refuge whenever I want to have some quiet time in Manila. It has improved tremendously when this Philippine Plaza Hotel became under Sofitel Management. The interior design of the rooms has been enhanced using Filipino and French combined design. I had an upgrade to luxury room which provided me what I just wanted.

The Club Lounge is another place to stay for a good business with leisure place to hang out.

The Spiral has been my favorite place to hang out whenever I want to have food indulgence. Breakfast buffet is great.Having an ala carte dinner at the Sunset Bar is also worth doing.

I have not visited the Spisal recently as I heard that it got devastated by a typhoon that visited the country. I lok forward to enjoying its renovated Spiral... the best buffet served in Manila..

Room Tip: I opt for an upgrade to luxury room
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
Sofitel-Philippines, Manager at Sofitel Philippine Plaza Manila, responded to this reviewResponded September 6, 2012

Dear Valued Guest;

Bonjour Mabuhay from Sofitel Philippine Plaza!

Thank you for having taken the time to share your experience at Sofitel. Your feedback is extremely important to us.

We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay, as we strive each day to provide our guests with the finest hotel experience. Whether situated in the heart of a bustling metropolis like Paris, London, New York, Shanghai or Manila or nestled amid exotic landscapes, each Sofitel hotel offers a genuine experience of French elegance and the best of the local culture. This subtle blend of design, gastronomy and culture is orchestrated into a stay that awakens all 5 senses.

Thank you very much for choosing to stay at Sofitel, and we look forward to being of service to you once again.
Kind regards

Reviewed August 28, 2012

So I decided to stay over night as the roads to my grandma's place were flooded. Booking was pretty simple and I spoke to a lovely person in reservations who was very helpful. Upon arrival to the Sofitel, I was wowed by the lobby and reception area: smells and sights were great: It's quite open planned so you can see the bars, restaurant etc.

Unfortunately, the room that I stayed in was a complete let down! I was on he 5th floor and as soon as I got out the lift I could smell damp. This was also the case in my Superior room. Firstly, the room obviously didn't have a constant flow of air-conditioning, which resulted in the room 'sweating' and therefore giving off an odour. The mirrors and windows in the room were fogged and you can see where past guests have used towels or cloth to wipe away the moisture. The bathroom was a no-go area as the condensation had hit the floor making it very wet and slippery. I immediately, switched on the A/C to cool the room down and get rid of the moisture... Here's a tip, either open the windows to let air in or switch on the A/C... I foolishly switched off the A/C and shut the windows before going to sleep. As a result when I woke up I felt the room was damp again.

The bed was very comfty and the amenities in the room were nice... full tea and coffee making facilities, slippers and robes (although I didn't use the robe cos it smelt damp). The television was quite old, in fact I thing it was the very first flat screen ever invented with limited channels. Even the telephone looked like it was older than me... born in the late 80's... do the maths yourself thanks! ;)

The spa and gym facilities were great: The mens changing room mirrored a Korean public bath house, massive stone hot tub, small cool water tub, steam and sauna, which were clean.

Service-wise, everyone was polite and attentive and you really do feel cared for. I ordered room service for breakfast and a kind gentlemen brought up a folding metal table on wheels: I had my brekkie facing the terrace with the sun blazing over Manila Bay (see pics), really nice!

I've given this place a poor/2 outta 5 rating; my justification of this is that it is a Sofitel (slogan 'Luxury Hotels'), but it didn't feel like luxury. I had very high expectations of this hotel and what is had to offer. I praise the service and the spa, but ultimately one spends more time in the bedroom (excuse the pun) when at a hotel and unfortunately, on this occasion, the bedroom was a let down. I know it's expensive to run the A/C while nobody is occupying the room, but having it on low for at least 2 hours prior to the room being let out will make a difference...

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank don_dukes

Dear Valued Guest:

Bonjour from Sofitel Philippine Plaza Manila!

Thank you for having taken the time to share your experience at Sofitel.
We are concerned with the satisfaction of all our guests and your feedback is of great value to us. It allows us to ensure and improve the quality of service we want to offer our guests.

At Sofitel Philippine Plaza Manila we take pride in ensuring our customer’s satisfaction. Unfortunately, we did not meet your expectations. Thank you for calling our attention. We have taken serious note of your comment and rest assured that our Department Head concerned has been informed to address this matter.

Reviewed August 28, 2012

Sofitel is one of the best hotels in Manila. If you want luxury, book a room here. One of the best buffets, huge pool overlooking the Manila Bay, spacious rooms, great service, everything. For the business travellers, the most important conferences are also held here.

The one problem, though, with Sofitel is its location. It's in the center of Manila, which is near a limited number of things, the Cultural Center of the Philippines, the Senate, the Philippine International Convention Center. So unless that's where you intend to be during your stay, it will be difficult.

The nearest places to shop, eat, relax will be Mall of Asia (although that gets very crowded, especially during weekends) and Makati. For both, you will need a car to get there. If you're taking a cab, the traffic can get especially bad during rush hour, it will take you about an hour.

If you want a place that's more central, maybe get a hotel in Makati. If you just intend to stay in Manila, this is the best, most luxurious place to stay in.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
Sofitel-Philippines, Manager at Sofitel Philippine Plaza Manila, responded to this reviewResponded September 3, 2012

Dear Valued Guest;

Bonjour Mabuhay from Sofitel Philippine Plaza!

Thank you very much for your kind feedback. We truly appreciate your taking the time to share your thoughts with us, and we are delighted that our services have pleased you. Each day, we do strive to provide only the finest experiences for our guests.

Regarding your comment about the Convention facilities; we are able to hold varied events and meeting options up to 2.000 guests within our hotel and many agree with you that the lagoon-shaped pool is one of the top features of the hotel.

We are proud to say that it is among the most spectacular pools in Manila and provides breath-taking views of the sunset and the Manila Bay.

We will share your sentiments with the rest of team, as this will inspire them to delight even more guests in future. We do hope you will be one of them once again, and we look forward to welcoming you back to Sofitel.

Reviewed August 25, 2012

Failed short in Luxury hotel claim. Good view of the harbor but location very remote to get to a decent restaurant outside the hotel and to do some shopping. The service and the staff is the only saving grace. I just wish I can understand what they are saying when they are greeting you.

1  Thank RetlawDoha

Dear Valued Guest:

Bonjour from Sofitel Philippine Plaza Manila!

The use of “Bonjour Mabuhay” to great our guest in our property represents the link of the French elegance and Philippine culture. It involves a quality of relationship with the customer that will be found in our words and gestures.