“Good Hotel Overall and Good Value for Money” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of BEST WESTERN Hotel La Corona

BEST WESTERN Hotel La Corona
Ranked #8 of 109 Hotels in Manila
Philadelphia
“Good Hotel Overall and Good Value for Money”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2011

We had an excellent, overall, experience at this hotel recently. Customer Service was excellent throughout all aspects of our stay and although the elevator wasn't working, porters were readily available to haul our luggage up and down the 5 flights of stairs and free, locked storage was also available on the ground floor for those items that we didn't need to get into that much. We did end up accessing items stored on the ground floor several times during our stay and we were always able to access it quickly. No one ever complained about our wanting to get something from storage "again".
Our rate included the buffet breakfast which was good and included quite a bit of food. Cereal, bread, eggs, and bacon were all available along with fruit. Made to order eggs were no extra charge. Filipino breakfast food, including pork and rice, was also available. If you're accustomed to Filipino food, you could easily "fill up" on the Filipino food and rice and be good til dinner time, especially if you eat around 9:30 AM or so.
The overall quality and condition of the room was quite nice. We found the bed and pillows comfortable--quite a bit more so than in other similarly priced Manila hotels we've stayed in in the past. The room overall was definitely better than other hotels we've stayed in in Manila at a similar price range (Google search the hotel by name and check several sites before booking. Non-US sites offer MUCH better rates than the Best Western website).
The air conditioner didn't make the room as cold as we'd prefer and the air conditioner iced up really badly twice. In both cases housekeeping was fairly prompt and quite effective in solving the problem. We have yet to stay in a Manila hotel that had "cold" air conditioning in our opinion. So, the air conditioner was "about average" in our experience.
Our room faced away from the street which cut down on street noise, but night clubs were really noisy. Bring ear plugs!
The neighborhood is a known red light district and not very well-lit or "nice" at night. Save venturing out for daylight hours or take a cab at night. There is a mall within walking distance of the hotel.
As other reviewers have mentioned, there are metered and "coupon" flat-rate taxis at Manila airport--both offer a better price than the hotel's pick up and drop off service. Metered taxis are the cheapest, but the "coupon" flat-rate ones are a good deal if you have a lot of luggage or don't want to risk having to argue with a cab driver who refuses to turn on his meter.
This is the only hotel we've stayed in in the Philippines that had a good quality pack and play that functioned quite effectively as a crib for our 11 month old. Every other hotel we've stayed in or inquired at simply doesn't have any type of "crib" available.
Of course, we are making comparisons here with similarly-priced Manila hotels--not 4 and 5 star expensive hotels.

Room Tip: Lower floors are better without the elevator being in service. Rooms facing away from the street ge...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank travelisfun47
bwhotelacoronamanila, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Hotel La Corona, responded to this review, December 27, 2011
Dear Travelisfun47,

We appreciate your comments regarding your recent stay at our property.

If I can be of assistance in the future, please don't hesitate to email me at tetromualdo@bestwesternhotelmanila.com.

Genera Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (240)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Texel, The Netherlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 25, 2011

Perfect hotel, safe, clean, friendly people. We could store our luggage for free, free wifi, nice basic rooms. Close to big shopping mall. From airport use meter taxi an make sure they use it. Ride will cost between 200 and 350 pesos.

• Stayed December 2011
CEBU
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 24, 2011

I'm surprise on how cute this hotel is & it boost with lots of quality we needed. It's comfortable, spacious and clean. We need this hotel since we're flying the next day to Hong Kong so it's location is just close to the airport around 20minutes driving time. The buffet breakfast was awesome with wide selection of food to choose from. Service attendants are polite and willing to help. The only thing I don't like about this property is the lack of elevator system when we stayed there. I'm still happy with my stay and we did have great rest when we were there and that what matters to us.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
bwhotelacoronamanila, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Hotel La Corona, responded to this review, December 26, 2011
Dear LOVEME2011,

Thank you very much for your recent stay in our Hotel and for your wonderful comments.
It is pleasing to know that you had a comfortable stay with us despite that our elevator is still
being upgraded. Rest assured that we are expediting the upgrade so that we can provide
a more comfortable stay to our guests. Thank you also for your positive comments about our
staff. This will inspire us more to provide impeccable service. Should you have requirements in
the future, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Eldorado, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 23, 2011

Arriving at the hotel at 3am is never good but add our elevator is out of service is not good. There are no rooms on the first floor so if you have problems climbing stairs choose another hotel.
The hotel staff were all very nice. They offered free wifi and also two computers for your use. They have a travel agent located in the hotel which gave great information but we choose not to use them for any of our trips. They charge about double for the Corrigador Island trip than what you can book it through sun cruises yourself. The only thing you would get booking it directly is travel between the hotel and dock. We paid 2000php and the hotel charges 3800 per person. The cab ride only cost around 75php. Quite a mark up.
The beds are terrible. Hard and uncomfortable and the pillows are very thin. When we arrived they gave us a smoking room and we had requested a non smoking room. They did change us to another room but it was higher up on the fourth floor. W requested the second day to be located on a lower floor.
The breakfast was very good. It did get real busy and big families had a hard time sitting together because there were not enough tables that could hold more than four. The wait staff was very helpful and the service was great. They do offer two bottles of water free in the room at no charge.
There were many options on the tv. The laundry is by the piece at the hotel which can cost quite a bit. When you walk out of the hotel go to the left and the First street on the right, go across the little intersection and on the left will be a laundry. It also has computers. Ask for Ariel. They charge by the kilo so its much cheaper.
There is a good little bar at the duck inn that is open 24 hour a day. Food is good and cheap. The service is great. On Thursday- Saturday they also have live entertainment. There is also another bar across from the Duck Inn called Hobbit house. This bar/restaurant is run by little people. Everyone is a dwarf or midget or both. Kind of odd but had the best beer menu that I have seen throughout Asia 125 different beers from around the world. My husband and I both had the ribeye steak which was good. The service is okay. You must ask for what you need.
Robinson mall is within walking distance from the hotel. Offers many food choices and shopping.
This hotel needs some major updating.

Room Tip: Unless you want to climb stairs request a lower floor
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
bwhotelacoronamanila, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Hotel La Corona, responded to this review, December 25, 2011
Dear Ms. Farmngal,

We appreciate you taking the time to tell us about your recent experience at the Hotel. Thank you very much for your observations and comments as it is through guest feedback that we can continue to improve. Regarding our staff, thank you very much for your positive comments. Rest assured that we are exerting best report to expedite the upgrade of our elevator. We hope that we can be of service to you again in the near future. Should you need my assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me at tetromualdo@bestwesternhotelmanila.com.

Phnom Penh, Cambodia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 22, 2011

I have stayed here twice in the past year because this hotel is close to the pick up point for the SiKat bus which goes to the dive resorts of Puerto Galera.

The hotel is tastefully decorated, clean and a great value. The rooms in the front can be a bit noisy but that doesn't bother me. If you're a light sleeper ask for a room in the back but bear in mind that Manila is a noisy city. The buffet is very good with Filipino food and fresh juices.

My experience with the staff have been positive. I've found them to be helpful and efficient, above the usual standard one finds here in the Philippines. During my first stay here a mistake made on my bill at checkout - they included a meal on my bill that I had paid cash for. I pointed out the error which they confirmed and then corrected my bill.

The elevator in this 4 story hotel is indeed out of order until February. If mobility is a problem you may want to stay somewhere else.

If you have a guest visit you, when they leave the front desk will call your room before the guest is allowed to exit the hotel. This is a good security procedure.

The downside? The hotel is in Ermita which is a pretty seedy area and downright scary after dark. Anytime I left the hotel at night I always took a taxi no matter how close my destination. However, my experiences in Manila have taught me that because of the horrendous traffic a traveller should stay in a hotel very close to where his business is. If you have things to do in Ermita, this hotel is the place to stay.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
Dear Mr. Radarking,

Thank you for your recent stay to the Hotel and for your objective feedback and observations. We are currently expediting the upgrade of our elevator and hopefully it will already be operational before January 2012 ends. We thank you for your patronage and we look forward to be of service to you again in the future. Should you need assistance in the future, please do not hesitate to contact me personally at tetromualdo@bestwesternhotelmanila.com

Hawaii
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 22, 2011

Having visited many Best Western Hotels in the US, I knew that this would be a worthwhile experience. Of course I wasn't disappointed. Best Western La Corona is located in a very interesting part of Manila; the Ermita District. It's close to The American Embassy, the Bay Walk, and Robinson's Mall. And it's also close to half a dozen nice little Videoke Bars.
To be specific about the hotel, I must say it's not like the large, multi-floored, high rise hotels common in this area. It only has about 5 floors. And no swimming pool, sorry. But what it does have is hard for others to emulate. It has heart. I know, you think that's a pretty vague statement. But it's true. I have been to many different hotels, all over the Philippines, and I've never found a staff as friendly, and helpful as the one here. They always try their best to be accommodating, and pleasing as possible.
Among their many good points are a very nice hotel restaurant, and buffet breakfast; large, clean rooms with good air conditioning, and plenty of hot water, and well trained desk clerks.
Overall, I would highly recommend a stay at the Best Western La Corona.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Ageistewart,

We are delighted to hear that you had a worthwhile experience at BEST WESTERN Hotel La Corona. We thank you for your wonderful comments as these will motivate us more in providing you with such impeccable service.

We look forward to be of service to you again.

Regards,
Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 19, 2011

I have stayed two times at this hotel and I can not say enough about how wonderful my stays were. The desk clerks are all very courteous and efficient and always greet you with a friendly smile. The hotel is perfectly located for tourists with easy access to the LRT, Robinsons Mall, Rizal Park, the U.S. Embassy and many fine and inexpensive restaurants and bars. The building itself is very well maintained and the rooms are always clean and spacious. The free Buffet Breakfast is absolutely unbeatable. Always a wide variety of international cuisines to select from and the option of made to order eggs. The restaurant staff are warm and wonderful and very attentive to your every desire. Two of the staff at the restaurant know me by name and even remembered me from two years past. The elevators in the hotel are rarely busy so it is only a short wait to catch one of them. To be thorough, I should mention that the surrounding area has many street children begging for money and some who live in apartments near by bath nude in the street. Neither of these things bother me as it is simple their customs and I accept that. I do recommend that if you wish to help the street beggars that you do not give them money. They will simply use it for rugby (an inhalant). Better to buy them a meal at the many vendor stations along the streets in Ermita. I always tell the child to order the food he or she wants and then I pay the bill. This way I make no physical contact with the child and there is no doubt of my good intentions. That is just a tip. You may do with it what you wish. Overall, you can not do better for comfort and convenience. Yes there are cheaper hotels in the area but you will get what you pay for. Best pay an extra $10 USD per night and enjoy a classy hotel. Enjoy your visit to Manila. It is simply paradise!

Room Tip: Any room you chose will be a winner. I have stayed in the suites with hot tubs and I have stayed in...
  • Stayed January 2011, traveled solo