“A short stay to enable us to get an early start in the morning”

The Bayleaf Intramuros
Ranked #4 of 109 Hotels in Manila
Reviewed March 6, 2014

My wife and I travelled up from Laguna to prepare for an appointment in Intramuros early the next morning. The traffic in Manila was surprisingly light (relatively speaking) and we arrived at the hotel around midday, somewhat early for the posted 2pm check in time. The two members of staff on the front desk were most helpful, directing me to the basement car park and suggesting we have lunch whilst our room was being made ready.
The waitress in the dining room informed us the front desk had called up to say our room was ready a few minutes before 1pm, we returned to reception to complete the check in process and collect our key card. The room was most comfortable with a very pleasant bathroom.
We spent the early evening on the roof top bar before taking dinner in the dining room. As with the lunch the food was excellent and we were both well satisfied with the dining experience.
Since we did not know how long we were to be at our appointment, the young lady at the front desk had offered us a late check out for the following day, we did not need to make use of this, but her attitude and helpfulness were exhibited by all of the staff we met during our stay which we both thoroughly enjoyed.
I would imagine that we shall stay here again, and I am certainly happy to recommend this hotel to anyone else.

1  Thank garybyrne69
There are newer reviews for The Bayleaf Intramuros

Reviewed March 6, 2014

I stayed here for a few days last year because of its proximity to Intramuros and for us to be able to zip around close enough to few Philippine government offices that we needed to go to. I accompanied my mother (who's 83) to finally retire in the phils after so many years abroad.
The staff were very courteous, attentive, informative, and were pleasant to deal with. Check in was a breeze and again, the staff were attentive. Unlike other hotels around manila where service seems to be so slow and unproductive.
The breakfast buffet was generous with different flare and the service was great. Staff were always smiling and readily available when prompted.
It was my first time staying at this hotel and I was very happy about my choice. I would definitely recommend this hotel, and I did to all my friends.
The view from our room was splendid. I loved looking over the centuries old walls of intramuros and the people playing golf in the evening. The room we stayed was clean and comfortable. A tad bit smaller, but other wise ample.( I have been all over the world, and have stayed in hotel rooms much smaller than the rooms at the Bayleaf ) But who stays in the room all day anyway when you're there to explore the place around you?

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Byroenius
Reviewed March 3, 2014

It was a so-so experience for us but will NEVER go back

Pros (trust me these are the only pros in this hotel)
1. Clean room
2. Good food
3. View from our room, sky deck and 9spoons

Cons

1. Parking
2. Very discourteous guard
3. Picky staff

Since it was our first time here, I politely asked the guard on duty, in this case, a girl, if where we can park our car since their parking around the hotel is full. And, she just answered, "on the side" giving me the look that she doesn't want to help us at all. As a guest, I was surprised and had to make my voice more firm and ask her again, "Even if we're checked-in here we need to park the car at the side of the street?" Having a loud voice, one of their hotel staff who was currently outside as well looked at me while he is assisting one of the foreigner guests. And,the lady guard answered, "hold it mam" then she left me and assisted the same foreigner that was assisted by one of the hotel staff. This lady guard went inside carrying one of foreigner's baggage and left me hanging. A few minutes after, the hotel staff approached me and assisted me with making room for us to park our car. After parking the car, my boyfriend and I went inside the hotel and this lady guard, very discourteous. She never greeted us nor a smile on her face. The hotel staff who assisted us was the one who asked for an apology with the incident. Is this how you treat your customer? To think that this guard is the first bayleaf staff you will encounter before entering the hotel. Surprisingly, the man in front of us who is also staying in this hotel was not assisted with their parking as well.

Checking-in was not a problem, the receptionist was very polite and very helpful. Room wise, it's a small room, but very clean and tidy. And, yes the view is indeed amazing since we asked for a room that has a golf course view. Except that the walls are very think that you can hear the conversations in the other room.

Dinner at the sky deck and the buffet breakfast at 9 spoons, the food was great. But then again, as a local, the staff will make you feel that you are their list priority. Why is that so? After the lobby incident, I became more observant. The staff will serve the foreign guests with a smile and will make all the request of the foreign guest possible. And as for us locals, yes they will assist you but,once you have a special request, they will not even lift a finger to consider your request. The staff who were cleaning the tables are not smiling at all except again if they will approach a foreigner's table.

Checking out was as easy as 1-2-3. They will remind you an hour before the checkout time but, surprisingly when we went out of our room, there were staff outside but, never acknowledge us. Seems like they did not see us. Well, it was expected. The same lobby guard we encountered during our checkout and guest what, she did not greet us nor thank us for staying.

If you will ask me if I will go back to this hotel? For an overnight stay, NO, NEVER AGAIN for the food maybe. The staff is too biased to the locals who happen to be their guests as well. I've stayed in other hotels which are similar to the bayleaf but never had the same treatment that we had here. Our stay was really a disappointmentm despite of the good reviews in tripadvisor.

8  Thank YGA0915
Ed V, General Manager at The Bayleaf Intramuros, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2014

Dear madam,

I am writing this note with sadness and embarrassment to express our apologies to you with regards to your recent stay at The Bayleaf. Our team here sends you our sincerest apologies for not being able to provide you a pleasant experience due to some behavioral issues with some of our team members. I also want to thank you, on the other hand, for citing some good points on specific areas despite your generally disappointing arrival experience.

We strive to treat everyone with respect and care as it sits in the very core of our culture; race, religion or color is not a factor. As such, it truly means a lot to us if we fail in this area. Again, our sincerest apologies.

We are looking into this and have cascaded your comments to the rest of the team - both internally and the ones we outsourced to assist us in carrying out a meaningful experience for our guests. Thank you for taking the time.

Should we be given the chance to redeem ourselves, we will be more than happy to welcome you back in the hotel.

Warm regards,

Ed Vitug

Reviewed March 2, 2014

Really good hotel, great restaurant on top, fantastic view. Cannot imagine friendlier staff. Very happy about this choice. Location close to main attractions and it is in Intramuros, which you will be exploring anyway if you're there on a tourist trip.

3  Thank TomZacharski
Reviewed March 2, 2014

We stayed here 3 times during a trip to the Philippines. The first time, they could not find our reservation in the system, despite having booked and paid a deposit on their own website, which was a bit stressful after a long flight but it did get sorted out. Rooms are not luxurious, but clean and comfortable. The place is generally quiet and the location is probably one of the more interesting, given that Manila has few real sights. However, during our final stay we were on the 8th floor and there was a party above us in the restaurant with thumping music. They advertise themselves as a place for weddings to avoiding the top floor might be an idea. On that floor there was a problem with the the door locks (the swipe-card type) so whenever people came and went their door alarm would go off, waking me up several times late at night and early in the morning. I mentioned this to reception but they expressed little concern and gave no apology. We ate well from the a la carte menu on the roof terrace but the Saturday buffet was poor and breakfast was pretty grim unless you like eating sugar, fat and stodge in large quantities.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank marie083
Reviewed February 27, 2014

Last year I stayed 3 times at the The Bayleaf Intramuros, both for business and holiday purposes. And I had 3 excellent stays !
The property has a great location, right in the old Intramuros area. This also means a calm setting in an otherwise bustling city, and great for a safe stroll and some local discoveries in this interesting historic neighbourhood.
The hotel itself offers excellent quality. From the lobby, which is bright and has a great design, up to the penthouse restaurant/lounge, which offers amazing views over the city and harbour, everything is open, clean and offers a welcoming feeling. I had dinner at both the rooftop and the 9 Spoons restaurant, and on another occasion I had room service dinner, and every time I enjoyed the quality and the service. Breakfast at 9 Spoons was also excellent quality, and with the same splendid view !
I stayed in two different room types, a superior and a premier room. The superior looks rather small at first yet offers excellent space (about 25 m²) and is very well appointed and designed. You’ll find everything you need, and the view from your room is just great. The bathroom has no bath but an excellent, large shower. If you want some more space, the premier would be a recommended choice. It is about 30 m² and offers a nice sitting area with office desk, and even bigger windows for a splendid view. Very pleasant !
The lack of pool is maybe a minor drawback, but the property has so many advantages that this shouldn’t keep one from staying (and returning) at the The Bayleaf !
I used the free wifi for different 2 appliances and speed was very satisfactory.
Last but not least I also have to stress the quality of the staff ! All were just great ! The front desk people were extremely friendly and helpful. They did everything you could expect from them, eg a smooth check-in, but I also appreciated their personal touch, eg showing interest in my travel plans, and adding a good sense of humour ! The waiters and restaurant staff were also friendly and efficient. The doorman/woman were friendly, the housekeeping staff also. Little detail : upon my departure, a man from housekeeping very friendly asked me “Did you enjoy your stay, sir ?” adding “Hope to see you again !”. His friendly smile was just wonderful !
Needless to repeat that I am very happy with this hotel, and I’ll most probably be back this year !

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank Martin_R_J
Reviewed February 24, 2014

Very nice hotel rooms, excellent service. The location is ok, definitely Makati is much better, but more expensive also.

The skydeck is awesome, with good live music. The prices are a little bit high for Manila, but cheaper than most of Europe.

I recommend this hotel.