“An Island of Tranquility In a Sea of Urban Activity”

The Bayleaf Intramuros
Ranked #4 of 109 Hotels in Manila
Reviewed May 7, 2013

We chose this hotel based on a TripAdvisor review. We needed to be at the US embassy early Monday morning so decided to check in on Sunday and stay an extra day to see a few sights.
From the airport (we flew in to terminal 3) do not choose the "official" airport taxi. When I asked the "gentleman" how much was the fare in the non-metered taxi to the hotel. He looked at me, paused for a moment and then casually suggested, "eight hundred pesos". I politely told him what he could do if he wanted to earn 800 pesos from me and then we went back inside the terminal, took the stairs to the departure level and got a metered taxi that was dropping passengers off. The fare was about 185 pesos.
Arriving at the hotel drive way we were assaulted by the pedal cab drivers wanting to take us for a grand tour of Intramuros as if this was the very first thing we wished to do before checking in. The doorman was there to shoo those pests away and welcome us inside. A cool serene atmosphere gently embraced us.
The lobby is of a well lit, modern design. It is clean with no overpowering odors of disinfectant or the like. The desk staff were expecting us (we made a note of an early check in time on our on line reservation form) and checked us in quickly and professionally.
The lifts are well lit, clean & free of odor. One needs to use one's room key card to access the floors above ground level. The hallways of the guest room floors are decorated in what I would call "high end budget" level. They are, again well lit, brightly colored, clean and free of odor. Our room was a "superior". It is small but efficiently designed. There is adequate room on both sides of a comfortable queen size bed. The bed is set up with four full size pillows and one long, round cushion for additional body support. Plenty of lighting in the room is controlled from the switches located near the bed. There is a floor to ceiling window for natural light. Our room looked down on a scenic view of one of the walled defenses of Intramuros. The room also has a large flat screen TV with plenty of viewing options, a mini fridge containing nothing, complimentary bottled water, instant coffee/tea service, a writing table and chair and complimentary wifi service. We could not find a room service menu and did not bother to inquire if it was available. There is also a lighted closet containing a cloth lined box for laundry service and a small modern safe to store any valuable items.
The bathroom is also done up well with lots of light, modern fixtures, plenty of water pressure and very clean. The shower area is also very roomy with a "rainfall" shower head and auxiliary hand held shower head. Bathroom amenities were, in my opinion, lacking. We got a toothbrush set each, one small round cake of hand soap perhaps 4 or 5 cm in diameter, one small tube (about 30/40 ml) each of shampoo & body wash. Bath towels are very large, good quality and clean smelling.
Complimentary breakfast was a pleasant surprise. There are many selections, freshly cooked eggs as you like, meats, fish, pastries, breads, fresh fruit & veggies and more. Each day the main entries are changed so there is always variety at breakfast. The freshly brewed coffee was also good.
At street level and just around the corner from the lobby entrance is a fast food restaurant. A short walk down the same street is a chain convenience store. There is a roof top bar open during the evening but we did not visit there.
Checking out was just a pleasurable and professional as was checking in. The staff were more than happy to call a taxi for us (one with a meter)
For two nights, all in, we paid 9000 Philippine pesos.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank louholder

Reviewed May 6, 2013

My fiance' and I booked The Bayleaf Intramuros to hold our wedding in July. Prior to this, I wanted to experience their accommodations and service so that I will know what to will work with.
So my best friend and I checked in during the weekend of May 4-5 to both relax and plan my wedding banquet set up.
We were welcomed by a warm and friendly staff at the front desk. The room was clean and it smelled fresh. The scent reminded us of being in the SPA so we felt very relaxed. The room was small but cozy and it had a large window that displayed a very nice view of old historic Manila. I liked that the bathroom was big and that the bed was firm but comfortable!
The Skydeck bar was a nice place to eat and drink so our afternoon and evening were spent there. We enjoyed the fantastic view of the bay while we talked, sipped wine and munched on cheese.
In the morning, we went to 9 Spoons to have our breakfast. The spread was simple and nice. There was a small buffet set up by the wall and a cooking station for eggs. I had crispy bacon, waffles, omelette and fruits.
To sum everything up - I would say that you get value for money at The Bayleaf Intramuros.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 6, 2013

the Bayleaf is the best place to stay at Intramuros, the old spanish part of Manila. But Intramuros itself is very disappointing, poor and dirty. Not worth to be a world heritage site! A disgrace of the Philippines.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 5, 2013

The Bayleaf is very close to Intramuros which appears to be one of the few must see tourist sites in the city. It's around 20 minutes in a taxi from the airport.

The check in process was hassle free and staff were very friendly. The frontdesk understood that we had an early flight and kindly arranged for a taxi in the morning as well as takeaway breakfast; a very nice touch. The staff also very kindly gave us two wireless keys and so we had no issue connecting both of our mobile devices to the Internet. We also had no issues arranging taxis, we found the Bayleaf were very accommodating with regards to booking travel for us.

I stayed for one night at the Bayleaf in Room 604. The room itself is chic, with an outstanding view over the adjacent golf course. The room is a good size. One thing that I would say is that the rooms are of modern and colourful design and so the hotel must pay special attention to make sure the furnishings are kept in good condition; the cabinets and walls in our room were a little scuffed.

Despite that, the bed and the shower here are EXCELLENT! I slept very well at this hotel.

It's also another five stars for the roof top bar. Excellent food and stunning live music, this restaurant could well be one of the must visit spots in Manila.

I wrote in the review title that this review should have been a 5/5, as everything was perfect until the very end of my stay at checkout. We were already a little behind for our scheduled taxi departure to the airport, when checking out a member of staff requested a "room check". I have never experienced this at any other hotel; especially considering that the hotel had already taken my credit card for a deposit anyway.

I don't buy that this is a hotel policy, foreign guests are not used to having to wait for their room to be checked before they leave. I was then told to go sit down and wait for ten minutes whilst my taxi was running outside (and the meter was on). If management is reading this, please consider changing this and/or ensuring the staff are more friendly with their manners when explaining the room check process.

Despite the above troubles, I would definitely recommend this hotel for business or pleasure.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for two wireless keys.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank majicka
Reviewed May 4, 2013

I liked this nice hotel with its clean modern rooms and bathrooms. The location within Intramuros is excellent for tourists. Staff is very friendly and helpful. View from room and from rooftop terrasse was great. Price is okay. I can really recommend Bayleaf.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed May 3, 2013

Being a 3-star hotel, it was of good value. Service was excellent and the staff were very friendly and helpful. They accommodated all our requests regarding the rooms we occupied. We felt very safe staying here in the very heart of Manila. The view from our room was wonderful! Food was first-rate too!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 3, 2013

The hotel is strategically located within range of numerous Manila tourist spots...It has a great view of Intramuros and the Manila Bay. There's reasonable access to restaurants and transportation.With new facilities and good service, Bayleaf Intramuros is truly "value for money".

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business