“How walking tours should be?!”
Review of Walk This Way

Walk This Way
Ranked #4 of 30 Tours in Manila
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Carlos Celdran takes visitors on a leisurely stroll around a selection of Intramuros' structures with an irreverent yet informative analysis of Philippine architecture, culture, and society from Pre-Hispanic Manila until the present.
Reviewed December 7, 2012 via mobile

I really enjoyed this tour. Would I recommend it to others for 1100 pesos/ per person? Yes, of course.

It's true, the jokes are a bit hit & miss. But I experience that every day with my partner!! What's outstanding about this tour is that after it, you will see Manila in a different light.

4  Thank NoZaYo

Reviewed December 6, 2012

First the pros and then the cons..

Pros...
It was an excellent tour, and Carlos Celdran made it very entertaining. With his props (I actually expected a bit more!). We had already read and researched enough about the tour, seen his blog, read about his experiences in Dubai, his views about the RH bill, and so were expecting a lot. We were not disappointed on that front. Plus, Carlos added his own views about the places and people - whether it be Douglas Mc Arthur or Dr, Rizal - and this makes the tour far more interesting than just an informative guided tour.

Also, to his credit, his tour got me curious enough to read Noli me tangere... (I bought it from his shop - though I learnt it was his shop only AFTER I bought the book). A must read for any tourist to Philippines.

I cannot give out much info -as they are the surprises in his tour, but let me give you some glimpses. He makes you wonder whether Dr. Rizal was really as great as he is made out to be - and WHO decided that - the Filipino people or the Americans... (Note : He DOES tell you how phenomenal Dr. Rizal was, but makes you wonder about his "national hero" status). You would have never guessed where Dr. Rizal's college was till Carlos shows it to you (clue :it is a ruin). He reminds you how most of the buildings around need not be as old as we believe them to be. And finally, he often reminds you WHO caused the maximum destruction of Intramuros during world war 2 (Clue : It was NOT the Japanese)

Definitely, the tour is fantastic.

Cons...
Too expensive. It would have been worth it if he charged 400 - 500 pesos per head. But 1100 pesos per head? You have got to be kidding! But anyway, we knew about it, so there were no surprises. I just don't think it was worth such a lot of money.

Too crowded. There were at least 40 people in our group. Yes - he had a mic. But the above sum would have been worth it if we were just 5-0 people (which is what we were expecting) - having SO MANY people makes it more like a package tour!

Tiring
Yes - I got a headache after the tour. It was tiring - despite the fact that part of it was on a calesa. Maybe walking around Intramuros is not the best way to discover the place. The electric chariot tour of Intramuros was less tiring. that coupled with Carlos would have been perfect.

End verdict?
Am I glad we did the tour? Yes
Would I do it again? No

There are many other walking tours in Intramuros - all start from just inside Fort Santiago, which appear to be better value for money)
Would I recommend it? Yes = if you are maximum 2 people in the group
No = if you are more than 3 people in a group (3300 pesos for a 3 hour tour? No - that is NOT vfm)

As a foot note, to his credit, I liked the fact that I tasted Halo halo first time due to his tour, and his tour gives jobs to a large number of calesa drivers and pedicabs. I liked that gesture.

I have added photos and trivia about the tours in Intramuros place on my blog - http://expattraveller.blogspot.com/ - Do have a look at it and let me know how you feel about it

4  Thank New_YLOO
Reviewed December 3, 2012 via mobile

Led by a happy carnival barker styled guide, the tour shares an upbeat, albeit highly opinionated, tour of old Intramuros. Carlis's English is perfect and he isn't afraid of being loud, which makes it easy to understand. Only downsides are that he seemed rushed and was a bitshy, which made him subtely discourage questions from his flock.

2  Thank jason a
Reviewed October 21, 2012

Less of a walking tour and more of a one man show set to the back drop of Intramuros. Very entertaining and informative, which is no easy achievement. Just remember if you're coming from Makati to give yourself a good hour to get there cause of traffic.

3  Thank Barney A
Reviewed October 7, 2012

I wanted to spend a few days in Manila on my recent trip to the Philippines and was a bit surprised at the few options that are readily available for tourists. I decided to join the walking tour with Carlos and signed up via email and got immediate confirmation. Once I got to the meeting spot (it is actually inside the fort, so you can pass by the entrance fee booth without paying, just mention you are on the tour).
I was chocked when i saw the number of people attending, becuase i was expecting more of a 10-15 people tour. There were probably at least 80 people and I almost dropped the whole thing.
But chockingly this is the kind of tour that actually gets better with many people. The intramuros site is probably a bit disappointing if you just go on your own, but with the extensive, entertaining and compromized history (theatre) provided by Carlos this makes it very interesting. And the best part is that the philippino participants outnumber the foreign tourists by far - given much more interesting dynamics, and a good feeling of watching things happen when they learn about a different perspective to their tour.

That said, some may be surpised by the political messages in the tour, but if you agree or are able to ignore it you should have a great tour. The tour was 1,100 which seems a lot for the Philippines (especially given the huge number of people on this tour), but from a personal perspective it was worth it!

Thanks Carlos for teaching me Philippino history and showing me the center of your very nice city.

Finally, as an afterthought, to me the best site in Manila was its people! So many complain about taxi driver problemer (i.e. no meter), but I had almost no problems and everybody was very friendly and talkative and i really enjoyed meeting real philippinos.

3  Thank x x