“My Zark's experience...”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed February 9, 2014

My colleague saw this burger joint being featured on local TV and convinced us to try what this much talked-about burger is all about.

Located on the second floor of a building in front of DLSU, they were open before 10am on a weekend. The store seems like its been in operation for 10 years without renovation. Packed with students, happily chatting while waiting for their orders. We were ushered to a table by one of their friendly staff. Looking around, they have a huge screen tv showing sports programs, and Lasalle jerseys hanging on the wall, on the other side are pictures of customers who won their challenge to finish the Tombstone Burger in a few minutes. The whole place is dark and dusty, it actually looks sad, perhaps better lighting and a fresh coat of paint on the walls could give a better ambiance.

We ordered Ultimate Burgers with iced teas and fries, nachos, and for dessert, we had Krispy Kreme a la mode and deep fried snickers.

The belgian-cut fries are beyond golden brown, it may be sitting too long on the food heater waiting to be served. Its already dried up and brittle.

The burger looked impressive, with a thick patty that will surely tempt every meat lover. Bite after bite, I realized that the patty is similar to Army Navy, the veggies were fresh, but the bun was way too chewy. I ended up more on concentrating how to fully chew up the bread on this burger instead of just enjoying my meal.

They have bottles of mustard, catsup and mayo on every table. Unfortunately, I guess the mayo they have is the cheapest one in the market, its too sweet and... its not mayo. I know that real mayonnaise is quite expensive, but it will surely help make your almost-burnt and brittle fries more palatable. Most burger lovers I know are big fans of quality mayo, so that will help a lot to enjoy your burgers too.

The nachos, according to some reviews here, are awesome. If you will order any burger with bacon, then skip the nachos, or just get the plain one. Eating the nachos will remind you of your bacon burger, because they taste the same. The nachos are topped with bacon bits, cheese sauce, and their sweet mayo (it should be sour cream, right?)... we had a really big challenge finishing the plate of nachos.

For desserts, the ice cream-topped Krispy Kreme is a good idea, it cleansed our palate after the torture of finishing the nachos. Meanwhile, the deep-fried Snickers looked like a deep-fried waffle, with the whole Snickers inside. not a good idea if you already have a full tummy, because this can be consumed as a snack on its own.

The iced tea is fine, no complaints.

Overall, I may go back to Zark's if they change the buns for their burgers (our group agreed that the bun is a real downer for their burgers). Serving your belgian fries fresh from the oil will also be nice, and for the mayo, just remove them from the tables because it really ruins the food. Get quality mayo and have them available in tiny containers to be given upon request (just like some Army Navy branches i know).

A better ambience will surely make Zark's a good dating place :-)

1  Thank itoy_MNL

Reviewed January 11, 2014

Be ready to wait for 30 minutes or more if you're going dining here but the wait is so worth it!

You'll be amazed by the sizes of their burgers and variety of choices. If you're familiar with the US cable show like "Man vs food", who shows us awesome looking big burgers, Zarks burgers look just like what they feature in that show.

We had Shaq and Ultimate Burger that came with home-made fries and both tasted soo amazing! Codiments like catsup, mayonnaise and mustard are already on the table.

The resto's interior is just fine. Army Navy is on the same building as Zarks but Zark has the long queue of customers waiting.

We'll be coming back to try their steaks and other burgers. This resto should be in your bucket list!

Reviewed January 8, 2014 via mobile

This is starting to get irritating. We always almost everyday drop by your branches in eastwood and katipunan and try to order these and always not available. If you don't plan to have these items why put this in your menus. Kindly do us a favor and scratch this items off. Other than that the burgers are a good deal considering its price and taste.

Reviewed November 24, 2013

The Place:
I was going up, I was still on the steps of the stairs but the smell was already very strong and inviting. Probably because of the structure of the building, their space reminds you a lot of a computer shop, only instead of the game posters, their posters are taped all over the place.
As you walk in, you'll be reminded a lot of a burger joint or watering hole in American shows and movies that you see- counter on the left side, small cozy tables and a live NBA game on the TV in the corner.

The Menu:

There were about a dozen burger variations- the upper half choices are more "conservative", slightly bigger than your fastfood burgers, with a few similarities and distinctions that tell them apart. The bottom half were for those who crave for more- including their jawbreaker- which from research, I have gained to be one of their best sellers and surely seems to live up to its name.

I went for the Classic American burger which costs 120- with BLT and their classic patty. Add 20 and you get fries and an iced tea as well. They have unique dessert offering such as the fried mars and fried snickers and though I was interested to try them, they were a bit pricey at 125.

The burger:
The size of the burger was good enough-as I said, slightly bigger than your fastfood burger but not too big. What I hate about these type of burgers is that it's almost impossible to have every ingredient in one bite-on one bite, I had a looooooooooooong stretch of bacon that took at least 3 minutes to chew(hihihihi) and on another, it was all ketchup, buns and lettuce. Nonetheless, I knew that each ingredient was fresh and meticulously picked..and I loved it!

The fries:
Not much to say, except that they were fresh and not your "fast food" french fries that are so freakin thin and taste the same after a few days. These babies were freshly peeled potatoes and by the quantity, I'd say they used two small potatoes for every order.

Notes:
I wish the place would look more like a burger place from the outside. Like I said, it looked like a computer shop rather than a burger joint. I'm not sure if I didnt notice it or there really werent any, but I'd love for their menu to have shakes and the like, to complete that American burger joint vibe.

Reviewed October 27, 2013

Great burgers! Servings are big. Prices are reasonable. I like the burger from hell and blue cheese burger.