“All they want is money”

Armada Hotel Manila
Ranked #28 of 110 Hotels in Manila
Reviewed July 17, 2013

Let me start by saying that the hotel staff was great!!! The staff did everything they could to make my vacation more pleasant. However, the management is terrible!!! Let me explain, they want 100% payment up front!!! They constantly harass you about paying your bill, I booked my room on line, checked in and they asked for a deposit, so I agreed, then after that, all they kept asking for the next three days was, where is my payment in full!!! To the extent, that they left notes in the room to remind me and then called me every two hours until I paid in full!!! Afterwards, I went to charge meals to room service, and was told, they would like a cash payment instead... again, what is the reason!! I did pay for my 10 day stay, and yet they still wanted cash in lieu of waiting until checkout for my incidentals. Plus I find out after wards, that there is a charge to use the pool if you have more than the allotted people in the room... e.g., if you are one person, then only you may use the pool, if you have a guest, then they charge an extra 250 pesos for the pool... I can't understand why the hotel would charge extra for the pool, unless you are having a party or something... I will NOT use this hotel again... I do NOT recommend this hotel to anyone!!!

Room Tip: I stayed in a premium room on the 12th floor, and it was great, very little noise at all!!
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank markpcramer

Reviewed June 24, 2013

This hotel deserves a 4.5 star rating!

My fiance and I had a 5-Day trip to Manila to relax and get away from busy lives and as a pre-birthday trip for me.

From the moment we checked in, I knew that our stay would be great. By the time we arrived the hotel, our room is ready. And we were allowed to check in earlier and in breeze.

Bellman made sure we are comfortable by offering to help us with our luggage and in all smiles.

Hotel interior is very modern but chic in style. I almost forgot that I am in Malate Area (which is initially an issue for me, as it could mean busy and noisy.)

Location: Good as it is 5 to 10 min walking distance from Malate Church, Roxas Boulevard, Korean Restaurants, Bars, Hyatt Hotel & Casino and other key attractions. Cabs is available as the hotel is within the street of MH Del Pilar (leading to Quirino Ave & Roxas Blvd). But not relatively safe for a girl traveller.

Hotel Lobby: Good interior with comfortable lounge, security, well-working elevator that can accommodate 4 to 5 guests at a time.

Room: Best thing I liked about our stay was the room itself. Upon entering the room, nice and clean scent welcomed us that gave us that extra-homey feeling. Rooms are very big, clean, flat screen cable TV with good reception, mini bar, coffee & tea facilities with daily replenishment, huge comfortable king sized bed with bed side lamps, dresser, safety deposit box, AC working very well, working table with lamp and city view. The photos did not do justice to it (my opinion).

Toilet & Bath: As a traveller, I am very keen with shower room. Armada’s was one of the cleanest. Overhead hot & cold shower with good water pressure (though sometimes, weak), toilet with videt and marble top sink which is very clean. Daily replenishment of toiletries adds to great stay.

Housekeeping: Very good and excellent, we usually go out during lunch time and when we come back; our room is well kept and clean with covers and towels changed. I forgot the staff name, but that guy has good service skills that exceeded our expectations.

Swimming Pool/Gym/Spa: Top floor pool is little bit small but is well kept, from there you can have a good view of the city and partial view of Manila Bay as some high-rise buildings are blocking it. But it was okay, especially at sunset and night. Gym looks nice and not bad for a small hotel. My fiancé tried the spa on the 3rd floor, and he said it was not bad for P 2,800.00 (2 ½ hours); hotel massage price not realistic for me.

We did not try their restaurants but I think it is open until late nights though most of the time it’s empty.

This is a small boutique hotel that is modern and has what other 5-star hotels can offer which is a value for money. Overall, my fiancé and I did enjoy our quick trip and will surely go back!

Room Tip: High Floor and Corner Rooms are great choice!
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
ArmadaHM, Rooms Division Manager at Armada Hotel Manila, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for your kind feedback, we are very delighted to hear that you enjoyed your overall experience in our hotel.
On your next visit please try our Thai restaurant located at the Amenity Floor , serves genuine Thai cuisine.On your next booking kindly email me at rdm@armadamanila.com I would be glad to assist you.
Thank you once again and we really appreciate your good feedback with us.

Best Regards,

Reviewed June 16, 2013 via mobile

First time in the Philippines, so I looked up Trip Advisor reviews; to choose the best hotel in the Malate district" in my chosen price range. Trip Advisor reviews haven't failed me yet in my choosing a Hotel or Guesthouse.This hotel was brand new.The rooftop swimming pool+ gymnasium was great; as was the buffet breakfast. Every staff member was typically smiling and charismatically Filipino friendly.If you go out for a night out; its best to catch a cab. Keep a copy of the hotels business card to show the driver.Going to the roadside moneychanger at 2am was'nt a bright idea. An opportunistic local followed me ; trying to talk to me. I" outdistanced my " New Friend".I" will definitely stay in this hotel again when in this district.

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank grogory

Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you so much for your kind feedback, we are very delighted to hear that you enjoyed your overall experience in our hotel and it is such a pleasure to receive compliments about our staff, your comments had been passed to them and it was greatly appreciated.
Thank you once again for staying with us and we look forward to being of service again in the very near future.

Maricar Dy

Reviewed June 15, 2013

Stayed 3 nights, the location is a little 'sketchy' at night when the 'red lights' come on if you know what I mean. Otherwise its well located to handy ammenities, the Rooftop Pool is great, nice view of the Harbour. Breakfast was OK, tho a little repetitive. Rooms are clean & tidy but could do with a update. Just be aware the door activated light switch for the cupboard is LIVE! do not press it with your fingers it will give you a shock! Onsite restaurants are pricey but the one o the top floor is a nice view in a good thunderstorm

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jarrodh

Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you so much for your feedback about Armada Hotel Manila! We greatly appreciate you for taking time to share your experienced during your stay with us.
Many agree with you that our outdoor swimming pool has stunning views of Manila Bay and it is one of the top features of our hotel.
As you mention in your reviews that the breakfast is just OK, rest assured we will discuss this to our Chef to add more variety of our buffet breakfast to exceed the guest satisfaction.
We will also coordinate with the Housekeeping Manager and Chief Engineer regarding the door switch.

Best Regards,

Reviewed June 12, 2013

The place is a nice hotel, there are some good restaurants and the pool is very nice.

My only real problem is I booked a room for 2 people, had a guest stay with me and was charged an extra 1500 peso!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Na H
ArmadaHM, Rooms Division Manager at Armada Hotel Manila, responded to this reviewResponded July 2, 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for appreciating our hotel and restaurants as well as our swimming pool.
We would like to inform you that it is a hotel policy that we charge additional Php1500 for extra person with breakfast. We are very sorry for the inconvenienced caused to you.
On your next visit please do not hesitate to email me at rdm@armadamanila.com I would be glad to assist you on your bookings.
Once gain thank you and hope to see you soon.

Reviewed June 11, 2013

I just love how the staff pampered us! They might not have a rich neighborhood but for me they have an excellent customer service just like the treatment you'll get from a five star hotel! Everything I asked from room service were given with a smile like drinking water. We also enjoyed the sunset at the roof top swimming pool. Very nice stay.

Room Tip: Book the ocean view rooms at the 12th floor or 15th floor. The sunset view is amazing!
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
5  Thank travelonashoestring

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for your sincere comments, we are really happy to hear that you enjoyed our service.

We hope to see you back here in Armada Hotel Manila.

Reviewed May 29, 2013 via mobile

Located on a rather shabby part of My H del Pilar in Malate, the Armada is comfortable but would be much improved if the customer service personnel upped their game. Very slow restaurant service and rather uninspiring and limited food choice marred the overall dining experience.

Front desk staff are helpful however, and managed to overcome the poor wifi reception on the top floors by using a booster.

• Stayed: April 2013
2  Thank paitonboy

Dear Valued Guest,
We are very sorry to hear that your visit here in Armada hotel Manila did not meet your expectations.
We have looked at all your comments and acted on them accordingly. We really appreciate your time for placing the review; in this manner we can improve our service better.