“Relatively good, but not that compelling”
Review of Cafe Ilang-Ilang

Cafe Ilang-Ilang
Ranked #2 of 999 Restaurants in Manila
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed May 19, 2013

Don't get me wrong about this review. This Cafe is good, the food is delicious and the ambiance is cozy. However, I feel that upon dining, it is not what one would expect from a restaurant that is located inside the premiere hotel in the country. There are truly lots of varieties to choose from, nevertheless, it just felt like there are still some food choices missing. For instance, there are a lot of seafood, but I did not find certain popular fish foods for grilling at the station; only shrimps, scallops and mussels.

Nonetheless, it was still a good dining experience. But I would prefer other hotel restaurants.

1  Thank Benny_11312
There are newer reviews for Cafe Ilang-Ilang

Reviewed May 12, 2013

Have tried Cafe Ilang-ilang's buffet three times and the buffet selections never fail to disappoint. Wednesday night is "Japanese night" and the Japanese section had a wide selection of Japanese dishes. My favorite is the fresh seafood section where mountains of crabs, shrimps, mussels and oysters rest on fresh shaved ice. We always go for the oysters and ask the chef to broil it topped with mozzarella cheese. I also like the Indian section and the roasts, where grilled beef and pineapples always make it to my plate. The last time we were there, the cheese selection sadly dwindled down to a few choices. I missed my favorite "cambozola" with walnuts, grapes and a drizzle of honey. We always leave space for dessert. Gelato is always homemade. Try the passion fruit, Ferrero and pistachio (so authentic). Even before you're ready for dessert, get a slice of the mango cheesecake if you want to taste it at all. Of course, Manila Hotel's famous halo-halo is a must, as this is one dessert that made Cafe Ilang-ilang famous all these years. An added bonus is if you pay with a BDO credit card, you get 50% off the buffet price. This buffet still remains as one of my favorites.

1  Thank aijaraza
Reviewed May 11, 2013

I amazed on how they arrange the buffet, though the halal food corner is a bit more to the real corner, but, all what you want, you can get here..

Menu variation during breakfast and lunch completely different and you can see what the Philippine like for breakfast, Garlic Steam Rice, Fish and Tapas..

on the luncheon, you name it, they are all there.

2  Thank Chandra I
Reviewed April 13, 2013

Cafe Ilang-Ilang is so big and offers a wide selection for its breakfast buffet from Congee to various breads and cheeses, to various types of noodles and the usual cereals. The centerpiece is a chocolate fountain that is about 2feet high with marshmallows and different types of fruits. At that time, it even served plain taho (soy bean) and ube taho.

My family was here to celebrate summer vacation of 2012. We enjoyed the different dishes but my nieces did not. The breakfast selection that time was not that appealing to children age 6 to 11 yrs old. Overall, however, our breakfast buffet experience was enjoyable.

My nieces immensely enjoyed the swimming pool, our family loved the rooms where we stayed and waited for the sunset and sunrise. As usual, the grand lobby of The Manila Hotel has maintained it's grandeur all these years.

Reviewed April 12, 2013

For a hotel buffet restaurant, I expected more from Cafe Ilang Ilang at the Manila Hotel. There was a large selection of dishes, but the pricier items (steaks, seafood) were not done very well, perhaps to discourage diners from eating a lot of these. The Italian station was tasty, and so were the desserts. The Peking duck and dimsum were only so-so, and the steaks dry and tough. For the amount they charge, I would probably dine at another hotel buffet restaurant.

1  Thank Cutie888