“Xiaolongbao Par Excellence!”

Lugang Cafe
Ranked #49 of 964 Restaurants in Manila
Cuisines: Chinese, Asian, Taiwanese
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Manila, Philippines
“Xiaolongbao Par Excellence!”
Reviewed June 7, 2013

Lugang's xiaolongbao is almost at par with some of the best from Shanghai, commonly thought of as the birthplace of xiaolongbao. Lugang's xiaolongbao offers 80% of the taste at 30% of the price of Din Tai Fung of Taiwan, usually considered as the best restaurant that serves this Chinese delicacy. For the hard-core Chinese Cuisine gourmet, the Fish Head is not to be missed. The interior is tastefully done. The waiters and waitresses are attentive, yet unobtrusive. Considering that the place was usually full whenever we dine there, the service was really fast.

• Visited April 2013

Columbus, Ohio
“Good restaurant for business meeting, but food is just average”
Reviewed June 7, 2013

This is a chain restaurant from China, it is well established in China with a good reputation. However, I have never visited them until now.

The decor is very nice, modern and clean. Very well suited for a nice business meal or something formal. Service is very good as well, no problems.

Food wise, it's not anything I would want to go back again for. I tried their crad xiaolongbao, it's better than some, but no where near the best. I would give it a 8 out of 10. Same with the Hainan style chicken, 1 of their signature dish, nothing great. Our of the 4 dishes I tried, I woud give them an average score of 7 out of 10. The manager came over and asked how was everything, I told him the taste is just not that great. He was very nice and offered for me to talk to the head cheif, which I didn't really feel there is a need for. If this is how they prepare these dishes, my comments will not make them better just like that. But it was nice of him to offer it.

Price is also high, even more expensive than the meal I had at Legend Seafood just a day ago, but not as good compare to Legend. Will not be back at all, there are just too many other places to try.

• Visited June 2013
Luzon, Philippines
“Pricey but worth it”
Reviewed May 29, 2013

Having been thwarted dining during Mother's Day because of the crowds, we returned the next Sunday at an earlier time to ensure we'll be able to sample their much talked about specialties.

Lugang Cafe is the Philippine branch of the Bellagio chain of restaurants in Shanghai. However, due to trademark issues, they cannot use the original name and opted for the Chinese translation instead. Hopefully, the menu items were not lost in translation.

Fortunately, it wasn't. The 2 varieties of Xiao Long Boa we ordered were excellent, gone in a few minutes, mostly eaten by my picky 11 year old. We also ordered Aroma Chicken, Spinach sauteed in Garlic, Cereal Oats Prawns and nutty, spicy Dan Dan Mien.

All the items we ordered were excellent. However, their Dan Dan Mien seems a little watered down compared to rival foreign chain Crystal Jade (also in Greenhills). Still, it was excellent and probably declared it as the best I've tasted if I haven't been to Crystal Jade first (both in Greenhills and Hong Kong). I'll also say the same for the Cereal Oat Prawns, if I haven't tasted Din Tai Fung and Wee Nam Kee's. Still, I would bring the family back to Lugang and feast on their other dishes. But first, I have to save and probably eat canned tuna for a week.

Visited May 2013
1 Thank hizonfire
Stockton-on-Tees
“awesome food”
Reviewed May 17, 2013

One of the best Chinese restaurants I've been. They serve ala carte or buffet meals. I loved the dumplings. The stir-fry noodles was also great.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank Ted P
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Thank you Regh”
Reviewed May 13, 2013

The service was hectic on Mothers day at Lugang Cafe and we waited over one hour to get a table. Then came Regh, a trainee, to the rescue by rushing to clear the first table available for a duo. She presented us with the menu and suggested the specialties of the day. From the dim sum selection we ordered the steamed crab roe and pork Xiao Long Bao. My guest Yenz had the house special "the Hakka Stir-Fry With Dried Squid And French String Beans" And I had the "stewed minced pork" Taiwanese style. They were both good and then we shared a casserole of seafood In pumpkin And Taro but found it a little salty. We promised to come back again.

• Visited May 2013