“Mediocre with poor service”
Review of Chef and Brewer

Chef and Brewer
Ranked #473 of 1,029 Restaurants in Manila
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed July 19, 2013

I've now eaten, or, in the last instance attempted to eat here three times given its proximity to my office. The place is not unattractive, and resembles a comfortable pub, though the furnishings are somewhat worn and tired. The menu, aside from the specials, list fairly traditional pub food supplemented by hamburgers in a variety of incarnations. On the two occasions that I actually got served, I found the food generally tasteless though my friend with whom I was there a couple of days ago thought that his bacon cheeseburger was tasty.

My friend and I ad both ordered at the same time, and when our food had failed to arrive after 30 or 35 minutes, I cancelled my order. My friend did not and his food arrived shortly thereafter. Given that the restaurant probably accommodates 40 or 50 people, and that there were only 7 or 8 eating, I thought that the indifferent service was inexcusable, and quite similar to what I had suffered through the last time I had been there.

In a city teeming with restaurants, most of them far superior to this, I see no reason to seek this place out.

Reviewed July 18, 2013

We have given this place 3 chances for lunch since is is conveniently located for our workplaces and it has failed each time.
Enormous potential to be a great place for lunch but it is seriously understaffed during the lunch period.
On each visit there was one waiter run off her feet by diner's demands and she was trying to handle drink and food orders. On the second visit I had to find the menu myself since she was too busy to bring it to the table.
Unfortunately, when my colleague ordered a sandwich (cheese melt) she was informed that there was no bread, only pandesal available (no deliveries yet today - it was almost 1pm).
I assume the kitchen is also understaffed since a simple hamburger ordered on the 3rd (and final) visit took 40 minutes to prepare.
We will have to fins another place for lunch.

Reviewed April 25, 2013

Been to chef and brewer for the 3rd time and will keep on coming back. It's a cozy bar with different live bands performing retro music all the way from the 50's to 80's. Had the pleasure of coming to watch Midlife Crisis band and The Rebirth of the FBC band (Family Birth Control band) popular during the late 70s to early ,80s. If you like to sing, dance to retro music.this is the place for you. Food was good from nachos to pastas and filipino cuisine. Wine list and drink list are plenty to choose from.If you like a fine and fun evening here's another place to visit.

1  Thank kiddieMD
Reviewed January 31, 2013

We were a group of nine who decided to drop in at Chef and Brewer to treat a vacationing classmate to dinner and a few round of drinks. At half past nine, a band started to play old favorites to the delight of the people who must have belonged to the same generation as ours. The dinner was delicious and the music was equally as good. The place was jam-packed but proved to be cozy for the crowd who hummed, clapped and even danced to the tunes that were popularized during our time. It was an excellent place to be in.

1  Thank sonjie923
Reviewed July 31, 2012

An established watering hole tucked in the corner of Ortigas Centre remains to be popular to both locals and expats.

With daily happy hour deals and beer bucket promotion, it seems that these deals have to be asked instead of being offered.

The crispy pig knuckles, a popular Filipino dish is quite disappointing although the vinegar with chopped onions and chilli dip is a fantastic accompaniment.

It has nightly live band entertainment and can get busier as the evening progresses.

The restaurant and bar is non-smoking and provides diners complimentary Wi-Fi but very difficult to connect.

2  Thank Onbarefeet