“A surprise treat that went awry”
Review of Spiral

Spiral
Ranked #1 of 999 Restaurants in Manila
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Buffet, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Making a splash when it first opened in 2006, Spiral’s dining innovations were a first in Asia and it became one of Manila’s most loved restaurants. Dining has never been the same again since. But the new Spiral proves that even a trailblazer can top itself with Sofitel once again taking destination dining to a whole new level.The new Spiral is divided into 21 dining ateliers. In France, an atelier is an artist’s special workshop, and in Spiral it is where secret recipes are masterfully prepared right before your very eyes. The range of cuisines is expansive and the attention and detail to each dish has the focus of an artisan.
Reviewed July 6, 2013

I should have given the establishment a higher rating if it were not for the omission committed by their reservation personnel. A good week before my husband's birthday, I called up to reserve a table for four, proximate to the the fountain and the spiral staircase. After a few days, I called again to inquire if Spiral was willing to greet my husband on his birthday. I was told that they could sing him a birthday song and likewise, present him with a mini cake, complete with a candle to blow on. I thanked the agent (by the name of Liza) profusely and was happy with the thought that a surprise would await my husband. The table that was reserved for us proved to be just what I requested (thanks to Faith, the first agent who took down my reservation). However, though we waited till 2 pm for someone to approach us for the "birthday treat", no one came to our table. We had to clandestinely approach the staff four(4) times to remind them of the promised treat for the celebrant. We were told that there would be some delay because our request was not noted down at all. They even asked for the name of the agent who took my call. Since I had written the name of the agent, Liza, on a piece of paper that I had left at home, I wasn't able to quote her name anymore. My mood and that of my daughter had already turned sour when finally, the staff came to "surprise" my husband with the song and the mini birthday cake (it was already a few minutes after the buffet's closing time of 2:30 pm). My husband genuinely enjoyed and got elated with the birthday experience. What he did not know, the vexing wait for the surprise almost ruined an otherwise perfect birthday celebration for the family.

1  Thank sonjie923
Sofitel-Philippines, Manager at Spiral, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2013

Bonjour! Mabuhay from Sofitel Philippine Plaza Manila!

At Sofitel Philippine Plaza Manila we take pride in ensuring our customer’s satisfaction. Unfortunately, we did not meet your expectations. Thank you for calling our attention, we do strive to provide only the finest experiences for our guests

We thank you for your continued support and it is always a pleasure for us to be at your service. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon and wish you best in your personal and business endeavors.

Operations Manager

There are newer reviews for Spiral

Reviewed July 5, 2013

We went for lunch on our last day in the Philippenes.
It cost us about $80 per person (including tip, buffet and 2 drinks).
I think I ate every pastry dish (minus crepes and ice cream) since I used to be a pastry chef and everything was SUBLIME! I was surprised I managed room for all the treats, but I say that is a sign of good food (you always find room).
The cheese room was my favorite. I loved the different nuts and condiments available to pair with the cheeses and the variety of breads.
We enjoyed ALL the different stations of food and came out feeling rolly-polly.
The wine selection was stellar with a good selection of wines by the glass available. Shiraz since we knew we would lean heavy on the spicy asian foods and the french selection.

The landmark of the high level of service of this establishment is when I asked if they had any ginger tea to end the meal. They said it wasn't a staple but will inquire with the barista. I was estatic when it was brought to the table, even more so when I tasted it and realised they made it from scratch for us.
It was easily the best, albeit most expensive meal, we had in the Philippenes and completely worth it.

Sofitel-Philippines, Manager at Spiral, responded to this reviewResponded July 6, 2013

Bonjour! Mabuhay from Sofitel Philippine Plaza Manila!

We truly appreciate you for taking the time to share your positive feedback and thoughts with us, and we are delighted that our services have pleased you. Each day, we do strive to provide only the finest experiences for our guests.

It would be our great pleasure to have you back at Sofitel Philippine Plaza in the future. We wish you best in your personal and business endeavors.

Reviewed July 5, 2013

this is one of the most extensive buffet compared to other buffet offering by major players in the industry like shang's heat ,cafe ilang ilang etc, etc. but as they say you get what you've payed for. for started they have salad station where you can mix match to your liking. for the soup you can choose the ingredients and the cook will do it right in front of you pho-style.Cheese and cold cuts selection is great.

on the main dishes , i like their pan seared foie gras, rock lobsters,Angus Rib Eye with teppanyaki sauce, roated lamb, and their grilled seafood selection, rock lobster, oysters, shirmps , crabs .japanese: Temakis , Fresh Sushi,Sashimi, Yakitori , and Shrimp Tempura is my personal favorite as they are all cooked to perfection.they also serve other asian specials like spicy Laksa, fried dimsum ,scallop dumplings.prawns in garlic, siao long pao, siomai, dumpling and wonton, with unique texture and taste, i have tried other popular chinese resto and i can attest their offering stands out among others. Peking duck is a bit oily but OK.
their Cheese Room is another attraction and in itself a unique offering .
despite being very extensively offered with hundred of dishes on the table, but it seems everything is meticulously selected, and their food is high quality, so everything you choose taste OK. last but not least the desserts: lots of chocolates,many among them artfully decorated, choco balls ,Vanilla Milk Rice Pudding ,ice creams, sherbet, fruit juice , fresh fruits.

all in all their selections of food is overwhelming from french, asians , indians ,filipino, great ambiance, great service, the price is abit steep at P2800 per person comparable to langham, The Peninsula in HK.

1  Thank Alex T

Bonjour! Mabuhay from Sofitel Philippine Plaza Manila!

On behalf of Sofitel Philippine Plaza, I would like to extend my deepest appreciation for sharing with the Trip Advisor community about your dining experience. At Sofitel Philippine Plaza Manila we take pride in ensuring our customer’s satisfaction and are committed to constantly improve the quality of our service.

Reviewed June 30, 2013

My aunt, Roselyn, is celebrating her birthday with 7 friends so I reserved the private room for them to enjoy some privacy while they enjoy the extensive and exquisite choices of chinese, indian, japanese, italian, and american dishes - all beautifully laid out in a spacious area.

But what separates Spiral from the rest is the hospitality, attentiveness, and graciousness of their staff - headed by Operations Manager, Mr. Keith Pereira! An email is all it took for him to give me a personal call, a follow-up call, a confirmation call, and another courtesy call to tell me that he decided to give the party of 8 a bottle of champagne!

What else can you ask for? Yes, it can be a bit pricey - but with the Accor Advantage card membership, you can enjoy 50% off up to 10 people! Why settle for anything else?

The newly renovated Spiral is still the best among all the buffet restaurants that have been sprucing up all over Metro Manila. Simply the best...

Bonjour! Mabuhay from Sofitel Philippine Plaza Manila!

On behalf of Sofitel Philippine Plaza, I would like to extend my deepest appreciation for sharing with the Trip Advisor community about your dining experience. At Sofitel Philippine Plaza Manila we take pride in ensuring our customer’s satisfaction and are committed to providing all our guests with the highest level in food quality and service, simply because our customers deserve the very best.

Reviewed June 30, 2013

We tried the Spiral as we were staying in the hotel and had heard good things about it. The table settings were very nice and as good as any fine dinning experience, but the food was really just average. The selection was ok but not amazing. The quality of ingredients was good. Some sections seemed to be lacking, for instance the Indian dishes. They were a little tastless and bland. We had also booked using our Accor Privilage Account informed them a the time we were going to be using our voucher which they confirmed was ok, but upon paying the bill we were told that as it was a public holiday the next day we could not use our voucher. This meant the meal was a lot more expensive than we originally thought, so it went from being an expensive meal to a very overpriced buffet.

Sofitel-Philippines, Manager at Spiral, responded to this reviewResponded July 2, 2013

Bonjour! Mabuhay from Sofitel Philippine Plaza Manila!

We certainly take note of the quality ratings you have provided us. Rest assured that all Department Heads concerned have been informed to address the matters you raised.

Tanguy Gras