Manila Grand Opera Hotel
$116
$109
$78
$42
City Garden Suites(Manila)(Great Value!)
$59
$37
The Oasis Paco Park Hotel(Manila)(Great Value!)
$38
$25
  • Restaurant
Hotel H2O(Manila)
$79
$69
All reviewsswimming poollrt stationdonut shopcomplimentary shuttlelounge singerchinese cuisinecasino hotellucky chinadirect accessrice cakeample spacerooms are decentsmall windowexhaust fanchicken adobopremier roomstar hotel
Reviewed April 24, 2012

Good value. Excellent service with nice rooms. Surprised to see such a nice hotel located in downtown china town area. Area didn't bother me, I rather enjoyed it. I am adventurous and enjoying exploring new areas. Would not be for everybody just because of the area. I will stay there again.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank skipper12370
Reviewed April 18, 2012

The Maila Grand Opera Hotel is quite a good place to stay in downtown Manila. It's actually located outside the Chinatown area (which is in Binondo district of Manila). The hotel is in Recto-Rizal Avenues area of Sta. Cruz district and, yes, shares its immediate vicinity with some kind of Manila's unpleasantries.

The hotel's ambiance is quite good, though, from the lobby to the room we stayed in. By the time me and my wife arrived, the lobby air is filled with piano music which is a good welcoming delight. On checking in I was surprised that we needed to pay an extra Php1000 as a "deposit-to-be-returned-on-the-check-out" aside from the actual payment they asked to be paid right there before our check-in, we agreed though.

The room we stayed in is good enough; spacious enough for two and clean, has a fridge and a cable tv and a good aircondition unit with remote control. A complimentary coffee and tea sachets is ready on the room's table, we just needed to request for hot water. The bathroom is spacious enough and clean. The hot shower seems not working, it's not hot enough to warm your body.

When we went down late night to go night swimming, a live acoustic band is playing at the lobby. The pool is open for guests 24 hours with a steam bath at the men's shower room.

We had a good night sleep after all.

The next morning, we availed the complimentary buffet breakfast and it's very good. My wife especially liked the toasted loaf with butter and jam.

Just a piece of History: The lot where this hotel is standing is where the Manila Grand Opera House was, hence the hotel's name. It is one of the famous theatres in the mid-20th century Manila where famous Filipino artists perform. (You can even see these artists' portraits decorating the now hotel's restaurant walls)

Room Tip: If you're planning to check in to this hotel, you better avoid going outside the hotel at night because the vicinity is not a good place to be, a lot of bad fellows are lurking around. The hotel though has a nice lobby and restaurant where you can hang out at night with a live acoustic band playing, you need not to go far, that is if your staying only just to experience the hotel.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Chalkzone
Reviewed April 2, 2012

The Grand Opera Hotel is a difficult property to evaluate. It's not the property itself; it's the area. Unbelievably bad area; and I've been all over the planet and have seen some bad areas. Pickpockets, bagslashers, scammers, and in teams; these all await you just out the front door. But to rate the property itself, one must just rate the hotel. Don't stay here unless you just want a really great hotel with excellent service. We booked the place online at home because it wad nearby several bus stations; we ended up flying, so that was a mistake. But we were pleasantly surprised by the hotel. The room was spotlessly clean with marble floors. A large bathroom with the best shower we had on the entire trip. A window that opened. An a/c unit that worked great with a remote. Satellite Tv with remote and 100 channels. Doorbells and locking entry room (to allow room service to deliver while you are locked within the main room). A beautiful dining room with excellent free buffet breakfast. Note: if you go to dinner and appear to be a Westerner, you will get a different menu; be awafre of this and ask for both menus; I don't think this done for any reason other than what they think we'll want to eat. But the Chinese food here is awesome and not to be missed. You can even choose fresh live seafood from their live aquarium tanks! Excellent service in every department. Fridge in the room. Slots casino upstairs. Non-smoking rooms actually are. Again, spotless rooms. We were treated like royalhty for 2 nights here. 7-11 across the street if you're brave enough to run the "gauntlet"!

Room Tip: Ask for a majestic room with window. The higher off the street, the quieter.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
6  Thank banyannook
Reviewed March 25, 2012

Dont Stay at Grand Opera Plzzzzzzzz
1.shuttle service is chargeable 1000pesos,its advertised as free. 2.They tried giveing me a room without windows,then lied saying all rooms are the same and id booked a junior suite at 4000pesos per night.Lucky for me the bell boy eager for a tip told me the truth and after the reception staff lied i was able to inform them of rooms with windows,they promptly showed me another room without an apology as if lying was the norm. 3Breakfast was toast and noodels,not a 5 star buffett as advertised.Absolute garbage like slops. 4.they wanted payment up front,unlike asia rooms policy of not paying until departure. 5.On check in they also asked me for a 1000pesos deposit,i refused and didnt try take it. 6.Dont pay on a credit card as the will ask u sign a form wich basicaly allows them to take payments from your card at any time after you have checked out,Only Pay in Cash. My overall experience is that they need 4 stars removeing from there Hotel rating,ive stayed in better Pension houses.They have no concept of service,anything will do as long as you pay they will give you all the excuses even to the exstent of lying.All senior managers are never available coz there always in a meeting.Its in a dangerous part of town and dont think you can go for a stroll at night coz its not advisable seeing your in downtown china town but without the usual ammenities a china town would offer else where in the world. Do yourself a favour and find another Hotel.
DISSAPOINTING
Arrived at 1.30am and afterbeing qouted the price and accepted of 2000php per night then was charged extra 200php per day for window wich was only a port hole!, buffet breakfast was cold rice,and frankfurts,cold eggs,and stail bread,outside hotel was a bus depot with lotts of pollutoin and sleazy characters,very heavy traffic& scamming taxi drivers! make sure you ask if the meter is working or they will charge you tripple price!.The room was ok but small and it took 3 days to get a kettle that worked,one night ordered the ribbs with corn& potatoe&coleslaw when it arrived ribbs were cold and dry &no potatoe&no corn,also ordered the Chefs salad that a 6 year old could have made! Rubbish!! there were holes in the bed linen and the bed was dirty with hairs on it!was advertised with dvd and cd player, but did not exist!house keeping walking around yelling on two way radios waking you up at 7am,room service food was cold&expensive, Kids Party in Restaurant on Saturday night so had to eat elsewhere,people also smoking beside you while you eat, & kids running wild ,screaming&playing on piano on Sunday nights! bcoz I was doing business I needed to stay another week and bcoz not familiar with area asked to extend another week,reception staff told me all ok & bcoz of my hiccupps would be given 10% discount for rest of my stay only to be told 3 days later that was not extended on there system & we had to leave or go to there sister hotel !!!at 10am & had to go by 12noon!!!! , so if this is 5 star !!!! its just all Lies,lies,lies!!!! dont waste your time & effort bcoz there are so many better managed hotels in the Manila area , this place is ok for Korean tourists on package deals for a few days ,,and thats it !!!!!!!!!!!! ....I will never ever return !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stayed: December 2011, traveled on business
7  Thank rafaelsarabia76
Reviewed March 11, 2012

This review echoes that of others whose comments are along the lines of "somewhat satisfied" and "good enough". The Grand Opera comes close in so many ways and then fails to deliver. My wife and I have just returned from breakfast, which is included in the price but rates only as adequate. There is unlimited brewed coffee from a 40 cup percolator, which is a welcome rarity. Now try to enjoy it when a staff member turns on a TV next to your ear and tunes it to some youngoid music station. D'OH!

What more need one say about the food, when the packaged "butter" packets actually contain margarine?

There are NO walking distance restaurants near the hotel save Mang Inasal about 100M distant. Life support supplies for self catering are available next door at Seven Eleven.

Walking in the adjacent slums is not for the timid and NOT RECOMMENDED in the hours of darkness.

A modest attention to minimal safety concerns such as hand grasps in the all-tile bathroom would reduce the hotel's exposure to liability concerns. Oops, excuse me. This is still the Philippines. I forgot for a moment.

Rooms with tiny windows are at the back. Somewhat more normal sized windows are at the front - with greater exposure to street noise. Many rooms have NO window.

We will stay here again due to the superior location for our needs. We will simply reduce our expectations to correspond with what we experienced or received.

With small expenditure, improved management attention to detail and some training of staff; the Manila Grand Opera has the potential to be a superior property instead of almost NOT BAD.

Room Tip: Quieter rooms are on the higher floors at the back. Rooms with "normal" windows are at the front with exposure to more street noise.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple