“Book this hotel only if you want headache”

Baywatch Tower Manila
Ranked #33 of 83 Specialty Lodging in Manila
Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States
“Book this hotel only if you want headache”
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Booked this hotel two weeks before arrival, when arrived and presented my Booking Itinerary to the man sitting at the front desk, he was so confused with what I'm showing him. Then I told him I'm checking in. He look at the itinerary again for awhile and started checking his record, and told me they don't have my reservation, also he ask me for the contact person. "Contact Person?" I booked the hotel with an internet agency, that should be my contact person. Told him to call but he said that is not his job. ????. After I was getting a little mad and demended to see the manager, he was then confused again of which manager I want to see, so I told him the one who incharge with the booking. Answer from him was there is None, ????? Awhile later another lady showed up, and started checking with all their record and still got back to me with the same answer back. Then I said to them, forget about the reservation, just get me a room. Almost an hour later they still couldn't come up a room for me even they have rooms available. When I asked what is going on with this, then she start explained to me all the rooms do not belongs to the hotel, and each room has an individual owner. In order to get me a room, they have to find the owner of the room first. So as my booking, when a particular owner of the room received the reservation and the money of the rental, that owner must info the front desk, otherwise no reservation will be appearing on their side. And that is my case here. They advertised this place as a hotel but it is more like a time share service apartment. Then the front desk lady advised me go try another hotel. Fine with me, but when I ask her to just write a noted saying that I showed but no room available for me so I can get my money back, but was refused to do so by her. She tell me to take a picture as a prove instead. Which I did. I ended up by spending another 5.5K peso for a rental car to got back to the town for which I was original stayed, until the day to return to the States. After returned, called the online booking agency, they would like to get me a refund but first they have to contact the hotel. But when they tried to call the hotel a few times, no one answer. Also, one lady who works at the hotel advised me not to go outside the hotel at night, wondering what she means.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
7 Thank Erik W

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Kelowna, Canada
Reviewed January 22, 2013

Non invasive management, clean comfy hotel.. fully equipped, good wifi.. close to all amenities. clean swimming pool.. Its great value all round.. We had a junior suite, comfy couch ,flat screen tv in both bedroom and living room.. kitchen equipped with all one needs for self catering,walking distance to restaurants, and short taxi away from sm mall of asia or a short walk to robinsons mall. Will definitely stay here again.. Do wish the hot water got a bit hotter though... hint hint

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Laura A
Reviewed December 30, 2012 via mobile

I and partner were staying here by accident, we should be leaving to vietnam but my partner forgot to appyl the visa so we bought ticket to philippines and found this baywatch tower through the online webs . We decided to book and stsyed here for 4 days .

To be honest, this room is nice and clean and all sheets and towels are new, no dirty bed or stinky smell or dirty sink. And i dont have bad experience with the maids unless when they thought i was philipino because of my asian face and my partner is caucassian and it feels like im the 'chicken' so they didnt really pay attention when i spoke to them in english, but when my partner talked to them they looked so anxious and fully pay attention. And no laundry service, i walkex to the near place to get the clothes washed but no place around that providing laundry so i went back with dissapointment.

The neighborhood is quiet dangerous, many of abandoned giant buildings and some homeless living in it , we were walking to the cowking friedchicken and some beggars suddenly got close to my partner and asking for ' money mr' i was like what the hell l freaks me out . And people urinating everywhere, its disgusting .

I don't have a tough problem staying here, its nice place and quiet . But the lical people bugged me off by keep talking with tagalog even i told them im not philipino. Oh and email, i and partner wanted to extend the stay so we called the number they given but no answer and we emailed them and no answer. They should be trained to respect the guests .

• Stayed January 2012
3 Thank inkedblood24
Four Oaks, North Carolina
Reviewed September 18, 2012

I was placed on the 14th floor of the Baywatch Tower. Room booked for 5 nights or so was a suite with the living room, dining area and kitchen all combined into one. The (1) bedroom was separated by a wall and it had a separate bathroom. It was pretty plain, but did have a balcony that connected outside with the living area and bedroom which was small, but there. When I arrived there was no shower curtain, so had to order up for one to be put in. There were basic things provided like shower soap and shampoo. Coffee samples for the mornings. I ordered pizza delivery which found me with no problems. One street over from the hotel was a street with a few convenience stores with a quick walk from the tower. The tower did have on site security guards (2) who were friendly and engaging. That was nice. I bought the guys pizza about half way into the stay at Baywatch Tower. The Tower's 14th floor stay provided a nice view of part of metro Manila and part of Manila Bay. There was a pool on the top floor which as well kept and one can also go up to the top floor to drop off laundry for service and it also featured a alteration area up top in the laundry service area.

Room Tip: Baywatch Tower has a top floor swimming pool. The pool was well kept.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
3 Thank Shane G
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed August 13, 2012

We stayed there around end of Nov to December 2011 for a total of 4 nights... USD 69 per night...

We booked the 1 Bedroom... room is alright, spacious... equipped with air-conditioner... living room with dining table, couch, tv with dvd player... bathroom in the room with big closet and 1 double bed that fits 3 people and one extra mattress... there's also wi-fi connectivity, but rather slow... beds and furnitures are ok clean... there's drinking water provided, but we opt for mineral water from 7-11 instead... cooking utensils are also provided, but we didn't want to use it... cause some appears old and rusty, covered with dust... the upper hand for the room however is we got to chill and freeze our liquor and food in the fridge... however, daily cleaning is offerred...

Guests are entitle to the free use of amenities such as swimming pool, saune and gym... but swimming pool looks scary at night, us (girls) were scared to stay there cause it was pin drop silence...

Staffs were alright, they don't speak much English, thus communication problem is inevitable... but they are friendly enough to always nod and smile when we are in sight... doorman is also polite, and many times helped us to hail for cab and shield us with umbrella when it is raining...

Location is alright... near to Aristocrat, good food and best bakery! Can find other fast food restaurants, sundry stores, money exchange, wet market, church and liquor stores in hotel vicinity... all walking distance, but when the night falls, street is quiet and appears dangerous, we avoided walking in the night, took cab most of the time... however, we did tried the jeepney and pedicabs... as these are easily available around the hotel...

Overall everything is just pretty alright, the next time when we visit Phillipines again, guess we would want to try staying in other area, maybe around Makati City... more uptown...

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
New York City, New York
Reviewed April 8, 2012

Room 2801 - We were disappointed at the beginning because the first thing that we had issues with was the air quality in the apartment. We spoke to Arline who 2 days later got someone to clean it out. It look like it was a very major project because the intake fans were outside or were they outtake we were not sure and they had to clean them out for the airconditioners plus I believe change the air filters. We came back after the fact of them cleaning it and seem like it made a big difference at lease for me, but my fiance was still very sick from the air quality. Also the vent in the bathroom was clogged with dust. They also cleaned that.

The bed might of been the next culperate of the air quality because maybe the pillows had not been wash in ages. It was also a disappointment because instead of a regular two mattress bed it was a one mattress with very uncomfortable form thin mattress on top of it. Every morning I woke up with back aches because it seem to be odd when sleeping on it. Our first nite there was choking on the air and the dust from the bed and the air conditioner.
We didnt know the room had room service so that was a plus, every morning including weekends two girls came over and did common cleaning, swept the floors, did the rest of the dishes, stocked up on toilet paper and dish soap and change the bed sheets and towels, so that was a major plus for us. I really appreciated that.

The shower head was broken so there was no control to use the bath only a hard spray show that was splattered every where. The good thing was that there was good hot water and plenty of toilet paper. Even though we took good showers it would have been nice to take a bath the tub was a pretty good size.

The kitchen was fully stocked and that was a great benefit. They provided everything for cooking. The refrigerator though shorter and thinner then me was ok to store enough food for a few days. When we got there the refrigerator was off and had a slight smell to it but with a little wipe down we plugged it in and it was a good benefit for our two weeks stay.
The cable TV was great we had plenty of channels which were also a major plus we just had to adjust the video picture so that everything didn’t look stretched on the flat screen, but it was fine. There was HBO, Disney and a few family channels as well as a few US channels, and Philippines channels

The dinning table had one broken chair so when we had guest over they just had to be careful sitting on it.

Manila air is bad so you can not be out in the balcony for more then a few moments, the view was great in the evening because the sun sets there are amazing, not morning rises I learned. The city below is a sad look and there is a building with fully black soot over it as your main view of the city. Make sure to cut that building out in your tourist pictures LOL.
The Internet was great, dont use the wireless does work. Plug it in directly and you get great service I was very impress because in Philippines its very hard to find great internet service. Also the phone is free for local calls not to cell phones or anything else, make sure you have
that taken care of before you go.

Above all besides the bed the shower and the air quality the place outside is not glamorous it is run down the building has smells in the halls, and the lobby and the streets are usual run down streets of Manila. Plenty of strip bars with the girls outside where they are flagging you down to come in if you’re a man alone. LOL. But daytime is just not the walk in the park. Plenty of jeepney's and cabs passing by the place so you are never with out that. But tell the cab driver to lower the air vents because they tend to point it tower the back in your face and I feel your getting the soot of Manila blasted in your face LOL.

The staff was good, no complaints they help out with simple questions, we were not demanding about anything so it was just a simple stay for us.
The last is the observation deck on the 29th and the pool. The observation deck if you can get it alone and your with you love one is a wonderful of the nite city and the bay. The air some reasons seems so right at nite on the observation deck. The pool is clean and very impressive but Wow cold. Go in when it is very hot, not mid after noon or evening, and get your clothes clean after it has a strong smell of Chlorine so you definitely need to take a shower after.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Manila
Reviewed January 26, 2012

Since most hotels charge a certain amount for extra people in excess to their specied number of occupants per room type (unless some of you will have to sneak in :)), we decided to rent a condotel where we can have as many people as we want. The drawback for such, not all can have a very comfortable sleep since there was only one queen size bed and a sofa. Others may need to be resourceful as to how and where they can sleep. Nonetheless, we were there to have fun so sleeping in or not in bed was the least of our concerns.

We rented one bedroom unit with a kitchenette and a living room. It has 1 bathroom with a bathtub. Hot and cold shower was also available as well as toiletries. Refrigerator was also available and cooking stove if you wish to do some home cooked foods but you need to ask from the reception for the cooking utensils. You can also entertain yourself with a flat screen tv with cable (cable depends per unit). The unit that we stayed in had a good view at the Manila Bay.

Amenities – The tower has a swimming pool, sauna and a gym. Swimming pool was a bit sandy during our stay. Sauna wasn’t working. Gym had few equipments but I guess the basics were there.

Location – Convenient store is located nearby as well as a few restaurants. Close to PUBs/Bars but the not best ones in town. Jeepneys are readily available as its routes pass by the tower but I won’t advice taking jeepneys especially during at night and alone; Might as well take cabs.

Staff – Just okay. I don’t remember much about the staffs.. 

Ideal for long stay (cheaper compared to hotels) or overnight hang out with friends. Take extra precautions when going out at night especially if you are alone.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends