“Cheap, clean but small”

Gran Prix Hotel and Suites Manila
Ranked #82 of 109 Hotels in Manila
Reviewed December 26, 2010

I stayed there for 3 days. When I entered the room. it's out of my expectation.... It's very small ( standard room ). It's not suitable for those who have large lagguage or even for 2 big backpacks... but the room is clean. the toilet is big ( compared with the room size). the Breakfast is good! Delicious!
As the location is in the inner city. it's not quite suitable for girls to stay. But it's near Robinson. can go shopping and having dinner within 10 minutes.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank rebeccakakakakaka

Reviewed December 21, 2010

This hotel is all about location. It’s in Ermita; right in the centre of all the tourist action in Manila. It’s a 2 minute walk away from Roxas Boulevard, which overlooks Manila Bay. It’s a slightly longer walk to Rizal Park (10 minutes) or Intramuros (25 minutes) – or you can hop on to a jeepney or a trike right in front of the hotel.
Our room was extremely small (tiny, in fact) and basic. There was just enough space for a bed and a closet. However, the room was neat and well maintained. The bathroom was also quite small but very clean, and came with toiletries and fresh, clean towels. There was no refrigerator in the room and I don’t know if they offer room service, but there is a restaurant and coffee shop in the hotel, and 7-11 and sari-sari stores very close by.
The hotel has free wi-fi in the lobby, and they also have a computer in the lobby which you can use to access the internet. The rooms however do not yet have wi-fi access. My husband needed to attend a online conference at midnight when we were staying there, and he just sat in the lobby and made the call – it was very quiet at that time, and the connection was very good.
The staff was very friendly, and always had a smile. We checked in earlier than the regular check-in time, no problem. Both check-in and check-out was smooth and fast, and the staff was very helpful with giving us advice on how to get to places, how much to pay the taxi etc.
The breakfast is okay, nothing great. The complimentary breakfast is anything under the menu for under PhP100, which basically means you can get the Filipino breakfast. It’s served on the restaurant on the terrace, and is an okay breakfast.
Overall, its a no-frills hotel in a great location. If all you’re looking for is a clean and basic hotel room close to the action, this is the place.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank RummyGirl
Reviewed December 16, 2010

I stayed for 3 nights here in an air-conditioned 'easy' bed with a shared bath. it was adequate for me. The bath and showers are working perfectly and it is clean. Cleanliness depends on the attitude/behavior of other guests, but generally it is clean. The bed is nice and they provide towels, soap, etc.
My room was supposed to be at a higher rate but they were happy to reduce it because it had no tv and I don't mind it at all.
The only possible disadvantage I can think of is that there is no wi-fi in the rooms. There is internet and wi-fi in the lobby, which you can either pay and use, or just tap on the wi-fi for free if u bring along your laptop.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank amiebaby_czarevich
Reviewed December 2, 2010

Further to my review from March 2010, the rooms are becoming dirtier than before. They are not properly cleaned between guests. Daily housekeeping upon request only. Also the shower water pressure is very bad. On the upside, the faulty water heated was replaced within 30 minutes.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled solo
2  Thank lortzing
Reviewed November 29, 2010

Me and my wife stayed at the Gran Prix Hotel Ermita on Mabini street in a standard room for 1500 pesos a night - only because City State Tower hotel next door was fully booked. The rooms at Gran Prix Hotel are very very basic and spartan. There are no windows in the rooms. We had to ask twice for help with the remote control to operate the cable tv at night. Its a seedy part of Manila. Staff dont clean the room everyday. The 'free' breakfast really between 7am and 10am is really disappointing. The staff at the restaurant on level 7 were friendly and there is a souvenir shop on the Ground floor. The robinson mall is a short walk and so is Mcdonalds etc. The area isnt the best as there is alot of girly bars that cater to mainly japanese tourists / western tourists. Alot of dubious money changers around and poverty right up mabini street. Be careful of kids hanging around trying to rob you just up the street. If i had a choice i would prefer to stay somewhere else.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Brian T
Reviewed November 7, 2010

Wow, the hotel's website looks great, doesn't it? Flashy logo, awesome pictures...when I booked a room through it, I expected to be staying at an upscale boutique hotel. Reality was it is just another typical Manila hotel for sex-tourists.

I was traveling with my girlfriend and a group of several teenagers we were taking to an amusement park. I reserved two "Deluxe" rooms for two nights through the hotel website. Upon arrival, the totally incompetent staff said I only reserved one room for two nights. I showed her the email ocnfirmation, and showed her "two accomodations". She started pointing out to me that "accomodation" means nights, not rooms. Me, being a native English speaker, tried to argue with her that "Two Accomodations" means two rooms, but she wasn't having any of it.

How can the hotel hire someone to work the front desk who doesn't know the meaning of the word "accomodation"? Anyway, after all the back and forth, she said she had another room for us though, but at a different rate (of course). But when she showed it to me, it was the same rate I already reserved the rooms at. Whatever.

While all this was going on, there were several "ladies of the night" sitting on the sofa staring at us, which, since we had a group of young teenagers with us, made it a bit uncomfortable. Especially when a creepy old Indian guy came in and started talking to one of them and they left the lobby together to go up to his room. Nice introduction.

The hotel demanded cash (no credit cards allowed!) which I paid, even paying extra for one extra person we had. I assumed they deducted by 750 peso deposit from the total, but upon review later on, I see they didn't. I paid a total of 9000 peso for 2 rooms/2 nights, or $50 a night. They say they deducted my deposit, but I don't see where, since it is pretty obvious I paid full price for everything in cash up-front. Anyway, after several phone calls and complaints, I could see it was a lost cause, and wasn't worth the effort to drive to Manila for $17.50. Nice tip for the front desk, I suppose.

The rooms were mediocre, the AC barely kept the room cool enough to sleep. The shower was part of the bathroom, with just a shower-curtain separating it from the rest of the bathroom, so of course water was all over the floor. The water nozzle for the toilet was hanging from the wall (see photo), and tiles on the door-step to the bathroom were loose and scattered about.

I won't spend a lot of time on the review, I'll just say it is a typical cheap "sex" hotel in Manila, with hookers in the lobby and creepy old men walking in and out all day. The kids in the other room were awakened one night by some strange old Korean nut in his underwear banging on the door at 3 am, scaring everyone.

We stayed at the SOGO hotel on EZDA the week after this, and it was half the cost for the same quality. The street outside is filled with bars and sex-clubs, and we wouldn't allow the children out of the lobby after 8pm. We wouldn't even let the children IN the lobby, due to the amount of weird old men sitting around, surfing the web.

I was told there was a cafe in the lobby, but in reality it was an unused espresso maching shoved in a corner, obviously not being used. The hotel is worth about $20 a night, certainly not $50. It has nothing that the other cheap Manila hotel have either. A bed, a toilet, mediocre AC, terrible reception on the TV...thats about it. I was misled by the website, it looked a lot better there.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with family
6  Thank Dharma_Punk
Reviewed October 7, 2010

Was staying there for 2 nights - then i couldnt stand the matresses anymore...

Brand new at this time, therefore very clean.
Staff was also brand new and had no idea about nothing.

But the worst for me was that the matresses werent some sort of fabric but instead out of some artificial (black) leather plastic or so.
Means i was sweating in the small rooms and also most of the rooms (due to the "building a hotel in an existing business building") had no windows which generates a strange feeling...

So for me an absolute NO.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled solo