“Excellent Choice of Restaurant”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of La Cocina de Tita Moning - CLOSED

La Cocina de Tita Moning
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Excellent Choice of Restaurant”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2013

We came by this restaurant by chance. Just as we finished a tour at Fort Santiago, a joint marketing activity by the tour came by and we decided to try it out since its 8 minutes away and we were hungry. The restaurant is a boutique restaurant where the owners converted their ancestral home into a family museum and restaurant. We were greeted by a fleet of staff of high service quality and was hosted around the house to take a tour around it's antiquities. Collections of medical books, medical equipments, cameras, radios, china were found in close to perfect condition considering its age. Food was excellent touch of local taste with light Spanish taste and very home made. A must try I would say! P/s: the bread and butter pudding is best I had!

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank mystkl85
monings_12, Owner at La Cocina de Tita Moning, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
Thank you for your kind words. We are honored to have been part of your experience and glad you enjoyed the experience in our home. We look forward to welcoming you again.

“Gem in the heart of Manila”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2013

I would have not dined here without the recommendation of my friends. I was invited to have dinner here by my friend. She asked me to see the menu so we can book our reservation on our chosen date. When I saw the price and menu, i was thinking the price was too much for a simple set meal and told my friend I had to say no. But then my friend insisted and said it was her going away treat for me.

I came with much expectations given the price. In my mind, this must be good because I will be dining with friends who are enjoy dining at different restaurants. Since it was one of my last few dinners in Manila before I leave, it should be memorable.

Location of La Cocina de Tita Moning is in the heart of Manila. We came on a saturday night so the streets were not so busy. It is located near Malacanang and near some colleges so if you intend to go on a weekday, better a lot time for your travel.

We were welcomed in the patio with drinks (iced tea) and toast with Queso de Bola spread which I heard is one of their specialties. After that, we were led to the main house for our house tour. We visited each area of the house were told stories and trivias by our guide. It was very informative and made me appreciate the place more.

After the tour, we were brought to the main dining area where our table was set nicely. The Murano glass which belong to the collection of Tita Moning served as our center piece. The table setting was very elegant and the plates and utensils are from the Legarda collection too.

We ordered ahead a set meal that consist of green salad with balsamic vinegar with hazelnut , pumpkin soup, Lumpiang Ubod, Roasted pork belly with sweet potato and bread pudding for dessert. The other set menu that we got include Paella Valenciana, lengua, sauteed vegetables, baked spinach and pudding.

I enjoyed the roasted pork and sweet potatoes! I like the crunchiness of the pork skin and how soft the meat were. I love pumpkin soup and their pumpkin soup did not fail me. Generally their food are very good and will really fill your tummies. I would say that we really had a HAPPY meal.

I would rate the service Excellent. They were very attentive and courteous. And with the dedication in their work that I saw, i would say that they really take pride in what they do and offer.

It was a pricey set meal around $30 - $45 per person but the experience was worth it in fact after the dinner I couldn't stop talking about the experience. The La Cocina experience was truly memorable and would love to come back and date my husband when We come back to the Philippines for a visit.

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank soblessed0827
monings_12, Owner at La Cocina de Tita Moning, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
We are honored and humbled by your kind words. Thank you for choosing to spend your evening in old Manila with us. The entire team of La Cocina de Tita Moning , who are the true treasures of the home, look forward to welcoming you again one day. It was an honor to serve you.
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Average food at above average prices”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2012

There is no denying that 'La Cocina de Tita Moning' is set in a spectacular building. The charming colonial-era house retains original decorations and gives a real sense of Manila history. The food however really lets the place down. I had roast pork with a pumpkin soup starter, neither of which had much flavour or character. An accompanying salad was no more than some simple greens and goat cheese, again without much flavour. For these sorts of prices people would get much better value for money at many of Manila's other restaurants. Might be worth a visit for the house alone, as long as your expectations of the food aren't very high.

• Visited December 2012
2 Thank Michael S
monings_12, Owner at La Cocina de Tita Moning, responded to this review, December 28, 2012
Thank you for choosing to spend your evening in old Manila with us. We too are disappointed that we were unable to meet your expectations. I would like to thank you personally for your feedback . Please know that we appreciate your comments and are grateful for the opportunity you have given us to better ourselves .
Kindly let me know personally should you wish to give us another chance in the future.
Wishing you a wonderful new year filled with love, light and laughter.
“A touch of class”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2012

My friend and I had just been on a lovely walking tour of the Intramouros and the guide, Carlos recommended this place for lunch. Our expectations where surpassed! From the moment we arrived until we left we both felt like royalty. The building and furniture are exquisite, the food was sooooo delicious and the service was amazing. If your want to see a touch of historic Manila and feel thoroughly spoilt while doing it, then this is THE place for you too :)

• Visited June 2012
2 Thank DrDevina
monings_12, Owner at La Cocina de Tita Moning, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
The entire team at La Cocina de Tita Moning is honored to have been part of your experience of Old Manila. A million thanks for your kind words.
May all your journeys be blessed.
We hope to be able to welcome you again.
Quezon City, Philippines
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“The flowery part in your Memory Lane.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2012

The experience is still very clear in my memory, like it happened just yesterday. Objectively, I have the following to say:

1. Service - Everyone is so nice and they can be very personal. I mentioned that the dinner is a "surprise gift" for my boyfriend and indeed, it has been a pleasant surprise even for me. To top it all, they gave away a home-made cake for him to blow for no extra charge.

Also, the tour is really something. Its like a trip back to old Manila. I guess, the old things on display added to the "authenticity" of the stories.

2. Food - I must say that the food is very nice. But what made it special is the plates and the table-setting. Like dining with the dons and the donas of the Spanish era.

3. Overall - Other than the pricey meal, everything is great.

Haven't thank them since. So here's my thank you.

• Visited August 2012
1 Thank SetThirteen
monings_12, Owner at La Cocina de Tita Moning, responded to this review, October 3, 2012
The entire team at La Cocina de Tita Moning is honored to have been part of your special celebration. Thank you for your wonderful comments. We look forward to being able to welcome you again in the future.