“Aqua Room is Nice”

Hotel H2O
Ranked #11 of 109 Hotels in Manila
“Aqua Room is Nice”
Reviewed February 16, 2013

A different setting for a hotel because there is an aquarium on one side of your wall. This is the only main attraction here. I expect the room is aquarium themed, but it is only for one side and the rest are just normal. A very expensive room but not satisfied with it. The staff is not friendly. They did not accompany us to the right entrance. Seems that they aren't welcoming any of the guests properly. So we got lost. Asked so many people until we get to the right place. They did not tell us what is complimentary in the room. The wi-fi has a password for a single gadget only occupying the room. Not good value for money. A place where we won't come back again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank RudyNicole

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (347)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed February 15, 2013

The entrance is shared with the water park, so is very busy. But once in the hotel it is worth it for the view.
We arrived early so had to wait to check in, was not a problem as we went out for a couple of hours. But the staff on the front desk were not very friendly. We were the subsequently asked four times what our room number was, but we had not been given a key or room as it was not time to check in, it gave me a feeling they were a bit unorganised and not communicating between the staff.

There was loud music that went on until midnight. If I had stayed longer I would have complained about this, but we were only there for one night.

If you want to go to a hypermarket there is one at Mall of Asia which is only 10 minutes away in a taxi.

Rooms are nice, bathroom is a bit weird with the sink in the room, but the one thing that made our stay was the view over the bay, the sunset was beautiful. You only get this with a bay view room, the other rooms have fish tanks, which looked quite cool, so depends on your preferences.

Breakfast is very limited if you want western food, if you like Asian breakfasts then their are lots of choices. I didn't fancy chicken feet for breakfast.

Room Tip: Bay view to watch the sunset over the bay.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Balestier, Singapore
Reviewed February 12, 2013

We stayed at the 'Room With Aquarium View' for 2 nights and the following were our experiences :
Pro :
a) Unique 'Room With Aquarium View' to experience. The room is simple with Queen Bed, minimal furnishing and very clean. Bed is comfortable with 4 pillows. Shower is very good. No bathtub.
b) Hotel faces Manila Bay with good view in the morning and dusk.
c) Staff is very courteous and proficient in English.
d) Hotel cafe (Makan Makan Restaurant) has very good and delicious morning buffet and very good service.
e) Adjacent to the Manila Ocean Park. Easy access and convenient to visit the Ocean Park.
Con :
a) Difficult to locate the first time especially in the dark. We arrived at 6.00am and the surrounding area was deserted. The hotel signboard was not lighted.
b)The hotel is off the main areas. There is no convenience store nearby. The nearest convenience store (7-eleven) is about 15-20min. walk away by cutting across Rizal Park (dangerous to walk night when the park is deserted).
c) Very difficult to get a taxi after 9.00pm (after the Ocean Park has closed) and the whole area is almost deserted after 10.00pm. Not good to return late at night. Closest LRT is the UN Avenue station on LRT 1 (Yellow Line) about 30 min. walk away (not safe to walk after dark).
d) Only Queen Bed available. No Twin Bed room.

We would recommend this hotel to others to try as a 'one off experience'. However, we will not be staying in the hotel again because it is better to experience other hotels in Manila.

Room Tip: There are 3 types of rooms, i.e. 'Aquarium Room', 'Manila Bay View Room' and 'Oc...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Henderson, Nevada
Reviewed February 7, 2013

First of all I am from the USA so my comparisons may not be fair. I and my fiance' stayed at Hotel H20 for 10 nights, in the Aqua room.

The good - I was delayed 10 hours and the staff was very friendly they had someone waiting at the airport to pick me up (900 peso), as I let them know of my delay. I did not find the entire 3rd floor for check in a problem like others that have commented here. Upon entry to the Aqua room my fears from reading the past reviews were put to rest - the room was very nice, did not have low ceilings as others have stated and did not feel claustrophobic. Everything was the way it was supposed to be.

The Great - Makan Makan - Carlos in paticular - Carlos took care of us right from the first day (complimentary breakfast) to the last day (10 total), being from Las Vegas I know the difference between good and great service and Carlos should be at a top 5 star restaurant. He did a superb job in both everything we asked for and a lot that we did not ask for - Hopefully management see's that in his work as well. The rest of the staff there was very pleasent as well.

Not So Great - If you are looking for a lot of entertainment and are here for more than a couple days you may be dissapointed. We went to Ocean Park, Star City, Mall of Asia (several times). Ocean Park about 10% of what Seaworld is. Star City - 5% of what 6 Flags is. The mall is real nice if thats your thing and has many nice restaurants as well as fast food.

Bad - The pool really is not good, if you like laying by the pool and hanging out for drinks I would choose another destination. I wont go into the problems with the pool other then to say it is not conducive to a fun relaxing time.

Also the lounge by the pool and upstairs both which boast live entertainment are basically dead the entire time with the exception of 1 evening that a large group was there. We did have one bad experience upstairs in which we waited over an hour and were not even asked if we wanted something to drink.

Some of the things that are room was to include 2 sodas a day 2 waters a day 2 chips a day and newspaper were not there as promised (except the water), no big deal as we dont drink soda, chips would have been nice. Paper no problem because free copies available at front desk

Overall I would return to Hotel H20 if I had a reason too stay in that area, our previous trip to Boracay was much nicer from a romantic level and many more activities

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Dave G
Asia
Reviewed February 2, 2013

After reading about Manila having some of the world's largest shopping centres, I decided to ignore the numerous forumers who said Manila was a hole and Manila a visit. So obviously, I needed a place to stay. Went to the usual sites to check opinions like Tripadvisor and Agoda, and decided on H2O.

Overall it was not bad. Let's check out the pro's and cons:

Pro's:
------

- modern new clean decor

- decently sized room and shower/toilet

- generally polite and helpful staff.

- free Wifi.

- I had a room facing Manila Bay. During the day, it was quite boring- none of the few boats seem to move, and the water is not clean or fresh looking. But the scene becomes much nicer when the sun sets (it's a lovely red sun) and at night.

Personally, I'd have preferred a view of the Ocean Park, based on the previous reviews- would have loved to have seen dolphins and what not. One reviewer mentioned about "why would she want to see strangers?", but I think most of us would focus on the ocean park and show, not the individual audience members.

- Next to Manila Ocean Park.

- Never had to wait more than a few minutes for a taxi.

Note that you only have two choices for gettting around- walking or taxi. Be careful of taxi drivers who do not use meter, and ask you for a fixed fare instead. Happened to me 3 times during my 3 day stay. You just tell the driver to pull over and get out and wave down another taxi. This is a problem with Manila taxi drivers, not of the hotel.

- Gym is large and attractively decked out. It has most machines and dumbells a normal gym has, as well as a 40 inch(I think) LCD and it looks welcoming to work out in. When I went, there was a very fit European 25-30 yo son , with his elderly father working out. Nice to see family bonding through exercise!

- Had a good range of cable tv. Watched a channel called "History" quite a bit- it seems similar to Discovery.

- It's close to several tourist attractions, such as Manila Ocean Park (of course!), Ultramurous (a 400 plus yo walled fort), the University of Santo Tomas (402 yo university), and SM Mall Of Asia (though I think this is one of the blander super malls in Manila, even though it's large.

Cons:
-------

- Their laundry service was not to the standard I expected. I sent it out twice, and each time they left me a note saying I was not in at the time they tried to deliver it. My experience at other hotels is they let themselves in and hang the laundry, which I find far more preferable to having to then get in touch with reception and wait 10-20 minutes for them to bring it.

- The Makan Makan place on level 2 has a buffet breakfast which has a decent range of food, but it's not very nice. Food is not tasty, and sometimes dry.

- I caught sight of the rooms with aquariums along the wall. I don't know all the different rooms they have, but I don't think I'd like one of those long term, as there was no window that I saw, so it's quite enclosed.

- Although the reception level, which includes the waiting area and gym, is well maintained and attraxctive, the rest of the place is not. In particular, they seem to have defective chairs and seats.

The seats of the Makan Makan restaurant have peeling armrests and upholstry, and the most of the chairs made of black (stretched bamboo?) in the outdoor bar facing Manila Bay are torn. Even the trendy lime green scooped out chair in my hotel room is tilted forward. They really need to be replaced.

Overall, it's not a bad place, but there is much they need do to make it become a first class hotel.

If you've reached the end of this wordy review, I think you for you time and hope I've helped you!

Room Tip: From the reviews I've read, the room that suits you best depends on your own tastes and if you...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank SirCyrus
midlands
Reviewed February 1, 2013

On arrival you think wow. Your told about the complimentry mini bar two cans of coke and a bag of nuts. Eat and drink slowly this does not get replenished. The rooms look fab but dont get cleaned properly. We stayed 3 nights and the service got worse each day with regards to the housekeeping. I was really disappointed to stay in what appeared to be a great hotel that wasnt exactly cheap and have to ask for toilet roll because the maid did not replace it. We also had to ask for the bin to be emptied and the bed looked as if the duvet had just been thrown on. Very noisey in the day no chance of a lie in as the oceanarium starts loud music at approx 8am untill 9pm

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Chatan, Okinawa, Japan
Reviewed January 28, 2013

The staff are very courteous and professional especially the waitstaff at Makan-Makan Retaurant; food was amazing and Harvey provided us wonderful service. The facilities are very clean and well maintained. I just wish the fridge worked in our room and the business center on the first floor had more "high-end" look.

Room Tip: Aqua room is especially great or children while the bay view provides a more romantic feel for "...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family