“nice hotel but theme park not for me”
Review of Hotel H2O

Hotel H2O
Ranked #12 of 110 Hotels in Manila
Reviewed January 1, 2013

Lovely rooms. Nice personal touches.
Staff so pleasant and helpful. The staff are what made my stay. The bell boy even lent me some pesos to pay the cabby, which was so kind.
Good room service.

BUT everything smells like a badly cleaned fish tank. The whole place feels very public rather than exclusive. The views are either of the seal-performance grandstand (very public) or of Manila harbour (not as romantic as that sounds).

Breakfast good but dear. Room service is cheaper.
All sorts of service noises through the night and i am a heavy sleeper.

Also i had a coffee on the open air restaurant and looked down at some of the more exclusive rooms. One of them had a boarded up window, so i guess security is a problem even in a swanky hotel.

I probably wouldn't stay here again because of the Ocean Park connection. However if they had another in the chain somewhere else I may, because the team there really try there best for you.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Write a ReviewReviews (1,231)

Reviewed December 31, 2012

My son had a nice time with our stay in Hotel H20 because of the acquarium inside the room and the various activities in the Manila Ocean Park. As long as my kid is happy, me and my wife are happy as well, despite some minor improvements that they have to make.

Reviewed December 27, 2012

This is a good place to stay if one wishes to have the convenience of having a place to rest after hours of running around in the Ocean Park - especially so when traveling with little kids. The room was tastefully furnished and has a nice view of the ocean.

Service was great - the concierge was very helpful in helping us purchase entrance tickets to the park (saving me the hassle of queuing).

Our experience was marred by a dysfunctional air-conditioning system that would stop running even before the desired room temperature was reached. This was annoying since the sea-facing room would catch a lot of sunlight during the day, and would get very warm. The hotel's maintenance staff did not fix the problem when reported, but performed a manual override. The air-cond worked, but it was no longer to possibly control the settings from within the room.

A few minor gripes on the layout of the wash basin and shower/toilet. The former was located in the bedroom (as opposed to being in the bathroom). The shower and the toilet area were not separated sufficiently such that the toilet area would be wet after a shower. The rain shower was a nice touch though.

Being located next to the Ocean Park, the hotel shared many amenities with the Park. The hotel's pool was located "outside" of the hotel (The pool was an extension of the musical fountain area). Adjoining the adult pool were the jacuzzi and kid's pool. The same applied to the F&B outlets, retail and amusement outlets. Due to the Park, there were many outlets, but these would close at 9:00PM, and would leave one with little choice for late night snacks.

Buffet breakfast was served in the Makan Makan restaurant. The breakfast spread was decent, but the taste was nothing to shout about. However, the restaurant deserves much credit for its ala carte menu. There was a wide selection of dishes from different Asian countries. The few Asian dishes that we tried were surprisingly and delightfully authentic.

Reviewed December 21, 2012

I can say my experience was good. Of course there are minor things that needs to be improved but overall we enjoyed it.

First is the entrance. They have a drop off point but its used only for dropping your bags. You end up going up the stairs leading also to the park entrance. From there, there are two entrance door, one for Ocean park and one for H2O hotel. Then you need to use the elevator to access the lobby. Front desk staff were friendly. They explained what's included in our stay, how to connect to the internet, etc. they also gave a wrist tag so you can automatically update your status on FB or twitter but unfortunately, there is something wrong with their registration so we werent able to use it.

We stayed at the Aqua room, where one wall is a huge aquarium filled with salt water fishes. Since i have an infant with me, it was a treat for my son. But i did notice that the acrylic wall (aquarium) have a few scratches on it. The tank would look more wonderful if there were no scratches. The room is ok. Not too small and not too big. I can still go around the room, carrying my baby to sleep. The bed was perfect!! The sheets and pillows were soft and you can sleep all day on that bed!

We ordered room service since our son was sleeping soundly on the bed. We ordered the ham and cheese sandwich and the braised beef rice topping. The speed of service needs improvement since we know the restaurant is just one floor below. But the food was great. The ham and cheese sandwich looks like a clubhouse sandwich. The braised beef was not actually a "rice topping." of course when you say rice topping, its served on a bowl with the rice at the bottom and the choiced meat on top. They plated it with the beef on the side of the dinner plate. But aside that it was good, but not that great. Ive tasted better braised beef before.

The bathroom was nice but it didn't have any door! The door of the shower serves as the door of the whole bathroom! And the Aqua room didnt have any bath tub. But the more expensive room do have one.

The food at Makan makan was delicious!!! But the service was inconsistent. During dinner the wait staff and host were very friendly. The host smiled at my son and would talk to me and my baby. The waiter also made us feel comfortable during our stay. He was also very apologetic when one drink is not available. But during breakfast the server was not friendly. Since we got a discounted voucher, we only had a set breakfast, but if you stayed at regular rate, there is a buffet breakfast. It took a while before they were able to get our order. I called the attention of one lady only to find out that she's probably a host or runner and had to call a waiter to get our order. The waiter was not friendly and warm. Its like he was very impatient with us and wanted to get our orders quickly. He forgot to give my husband water but he served my mango juice. The food was ready at the counter but no waiter was available to serve it to us. It did take a few minutes before it was served to us so the food wasn't piping hot anymore.

Upon checking out, we called for a bell boy but it took again forever! Suprisingly, they called us and reminded us of the check out time. So we said that we are just waiting for the bellboy to pick our stuff. We waited for 30 minutes for the bellboy but none came. So we decided to leave our things and go to the lobby to check out. They were apologetic and immediately called a room boy. But AGAIN, it took another 20 minutes before our things were gathered! I had to follow up a couple of times since my son was already cranky! Finally i told the front staff that we will wait at the drop off point for our luggages. Just we were about to go down, i finally saw our bags with the bellboy. But one thing i noticed was how they put the stroller in the trolley! It was like placed in between the bars of the trolley. I didnt have any time to talk to the bellboy since the elevator doors opened already. But i did hear the manager said to fix the bags and stroller.

And finally at the drop off point, we were already at our car when the staff came running asking for payment for the valet. Geesh! We were there for a few minutes. We even validated the ticket there and she forgot to ask for the valet payment!

But given a second chance, i will still stay there! Hope they'll improve their service!

• Stayed: December 2012
2  Thank simple_living1220
Reviewed December 19, 2012

I start with the explanation of my title, They have a real nice big pool the only problem is is out in the ocean park area, is the same pool where they have the sea lions and the brids show and alot of times the audidence is in the stands waiting for the show to begin and there are times in the morning usually where you could be the only one in the pool and the audience is looking at you,but the same time you can watch the show... also they sell open tickets to the general public to use the pool...so be careful of your belongings ok My review,I stay with my girlfriend who lives in manilia and we seem to have different oppions about the place,, acording to her she felt it was over priced (120 US$) she felt the location was bad because she could not acces public transportation from the hotel it was far. and thought it should have included breakfast. Ok My Prospective, I thought is was very nice and clean room.. room was well clean, liens towells were great... I had a bay view which was great. The location to me was ok I could walk to Razil park, a local mall....The hotel /ocean park is in like a compound so is little walk to leave it. Atms a whole bunch (there hidden). DONT USE THERE TAXI SHUTTLE SERVICE RIP YOU OFF ,TRY A LOCAL TAXI,,,,ESPECALLY ONE TAXI WHO JUST DROP SOMEONE OFF>NOT ONE WHO IS SITTING THERE. IF not walk out side see of you can find one. Hotel staff was nice/ I do agree with my girlfriend with the fact you can get cheaper and maybe in a better location in emarita. You can do alot of walking and people watching inside ocean park public area. If you can do a $120 a night and are picky on cleaness or want to impress someone stay here.....if not there other places (I also stay at la corona bestwestern for half the price include breakfast)

Room Tip: any room is a good view or aqurium view is also good.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 17, 2012

Location: Good.
Parking: Secured.
Entrance: Need to walk several meters until 3rd floor to make the check-in.
Front Desk: Slow - it seems the people in the front desk are less-experienced.
Room: Spacious, clean. Towels are of poor quality.
Amenities: Good - located beside an ocean park.
Restaurant: Good - several choices

Room Tip: The Aqua Room is still the best choice. The Park View room is a twin bed room.
Reviewed December 13, 2012

We normally travel with our kids and I would prefer rooms with bath tub.

I got interested in Hotel H2O for a unique hotel experience. The wall of the room is an over sized aquarium and we love it. Aside from looking at the fishes, the color coming from the aquarium is quite refreshing. We tried turning off all lights and just enjoyed the view.

I read negative reviews about privacy specially the bathrooms. Since we were sharing our room with our kids, I came prepared with some manila paper and tape. But I didn't get the chance to use it since the glass door is frosted. The glass door is kept lock by a magnet (I'm guessing here :) ). It was not really an issue for me.

Now the bath tub is a minor issue with me. It is actually out so this is a privacy issue because it is actually not inside the bathroom. So if you need to use it and you have pre-teens around, you'll come in there with a swim wear. This is the reason why I said it is ideal for couples.

GOOD POINTS
The room is cozy and well designed. Bed is good, internet is fast. Lighting is just enough.

POINTS NEEEDING IMPROVEMENT
No bidet. You can easily hear the noise outside. You can also be heard outside so better be aware of your sound level (specially for private activities). Room price is on the high side.

Overall it was a good stay. I am planning to stay there again. This time without the kids.

Room Tip: Check rooms that will be assigned to you. Some beds are to soft for comfort.
1  Thank jvl269