“unique”

Ranked #12 of 108 Hotels in Manila
philippines
“unique”
Reviewed April 9, 2011

I was quite anxious upon our arrival at the hotel because ive read from the reviews of other sites on how the front desk people give customer service. And yes, unfortunately we experienced that kind of service upon check in which is nothing to be desired. We arrived 30min ahead of the supposedly check in time and we were informed that the room was not yet ready. Fine. The front desk people told us to just visit the shops below or have a late lunch and come back at 2pm..which we did and still waited for another hour. Ive been checking the front desk from time to time reminding them that we still didnt have a room. They didnt apologize nor give us anything like a drink or anything at all to make us comfortable. Sure they know how to greet but thats it.
The hotel itself has a nice feeling to it..its quiet despite the location in which its entrance is inside the ocean park itself. I like the interiors of the lobby which is at the 3rd floor. The hotel is hard to find for some taxi drivers..ADVICE: tell the drivers that the hotel is at the back of QUIRINO Grandstand...and they will know for sure.
The aqua room which we booked is kinda small for us with 2 young kids ages 10 and 8. The kids will love the aquarium inside the room. Although its not fit for a person who is a light sleeper for you get to be awakened from time to time with ticking sounds coming from the aquarium. Maybe the fishes wanting to get out? hehehe.. The queen bed is comfortable enough and can fit 2 kids with an adult but i dont like the pillows for they are kinda thick and heavy for me, not the soft downy ones. The housekeeping is pretty good. We asked for extra pillows and they gave us 4. Dont forget to leave a tip. They replenish everything everyday. The minibar is complimentary too chips and 2 sodas everyday. The bathroom was not built well. When one showers, the water leaks outside and wets the whole bath. I didnt like the glass windows and doors for they dont give privacy to the one using the bath/toilet. Advice: not meant for a family with teenagers.
The gym is great! the machines are new and not many people use it so u get to have it all by urself and its open 24 hours too. They give u free towel use and water to drink. The internet is free in the entire hotel.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank asensiblechic

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (342)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Amriswil
Reviewed April 5, 2011

The Staff was very friendly and ready to help you at anytime.
The Rooms are clean and have a special flair.. =)
I would recommend it anytime.

1 Thank eriscas
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed April 2, 2011

Good points: I love looking out the window that faces the bay, doesn't feel like you're in manila at all. everybody was so friendly and helpful, i never had a problem with ANY of the staff. the food was ok (room service). pretty good location, i suppose. it's alright. it was pretty quiet. slept and woke up without a hitch. everything in the room was working and nothing was loose, broken, missing or weird.

Bad points: had to take valet because everything is soooo far from the main lobby. wish there was a direct (somewhat private) path from valet/parking to the hotel itself without going through the complex's main artery. the frosted glass panel doors of the shower is sexy, but somehow the silhouette of somebody taking a dump isn't sexy at all. LOL. no bidet in the toilet (so much for a water themed hotel. :P ). the building itself is a turnoff with when you compare it to the hotel part.

i'd definitely stay again, just because the view is great. we stayed in 4 hotels during our stay and we enjoyed h2o enough to stay in it again. i probably won't be using the pool though, since it's right next to the pool where they do the sea lion shows.

Room Tip: get the room overlooking the bay.
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank SupahEileen
San Francisco, California
Reviewed March 30, 2011

I stayed in a parkview room and based on hotel's website there's a choice of Queen or twin beds. To confirm, I called in the hotel (spoke to staff Ervin) and requested for a queen size bed, in which he said that it can be done. When I arrived at the hotel, I was expecting to see a queensize bed but booked in a twin bed. I then asked for a queensize bed, in which Front Desk staff Allan told me that there is only one available queensize bed for all Parkview Rooms and it is already occupied. I was so tired from long hours of travel and all I need is simple comfort and stress-free stay in a supposedly luxurious hotel. Even in the hotel info in the TV screen, there's a choice of queen or twin bed. That should be corrected so that hotel guests will not be left with no choice but to stay in a very expensive crap hotel.

Room Tip: Check the reviews before you booked in this hotel
2 Thank Gwapituh
Antipolo city
Reviewed March 28, 2011

First person I met was a parking security guard who was arrogant. Toilet seat was literally 2 feet away from the bed separated by a glass door only. Noisy corridor. Front desk staff was amateurish and offered very little help. Last person to interact with from the hotel was the exit security guard who was also extremely arrogant and angry.

Staff needs training with courtesy and service over-all. Its a shame they call themselves a "hotel" when staff encountered were unhelpful, arrogant and angry.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
3 Thank francis_3773
Baghdad,Iraq
Reviewed March 21, 2011

The worst hotel in the world,I paid for 3 nights and I left after the first night without get the rest fees back just to runaway from this hotel,I shift to Manila hotel which the best,The building not designed for a hotel its part of the ocean park No entrance for this hotel no lobby you have to jump between the floors,reception is so small not enough for the staff,poor experience staff,very dirty restaurant with so bad smell and very very bad breakfast,bathroom made from glass walls inside the room without sealing so that all the noise of the flash and smell will be inside your bedroom,rooms are so small you can not move,bed is so hard and bad design,its just fancy hotel for local kids only to spend one night during their visit to see the ocean park.
Summery it was the worst trip in all over my life when I chose that hotel.

3 Thank Luaysaffar
Bangalore
Reviewed March 12, 2011

I stayed here for 7 days in february, visiting Manila for a conference. I booked this hotel based on reviews that I read on tripadvisor. Plus the aquarium in the rooms sounded interesting.

Location : The general location is not too bad, off Roxas Blvd, but the issue is that its a good 8 minute brisk walk to Roxas Blvd and there is nothing in between. The hotel is in the 3rd floor of Manila Ocean Park. Because it is so isolated, metered taxis are hard to come by once evening sets in and you will have to take unmetered taxis which have fixed rates. I didn't mind those fixed rates much and they usually differ from the metered rates by about 50-100 pesos.

Check in process : Perhaps the worst check in experience I have ever had. I had booked the hotel room (Aqua Supreme) 2 months in advance over the hotel's website and had received confirmation. 9 days prior to my arrival, my credit card was swapped for the booking amount twice and those funds were blocked out of my card. Since it wasn't charged, but just blocked, I didn't bother. On arrival, after showing my confirmation mail to the reception, the staff there very courteously calculated and showed me that my stay would cost ~51000 pesos. (10000 pesos more than the original booking rate). When I reminded him that I have already made a booking and the amount has been blocked off my card, he rechecked and said I was right. Next, I was given an Aqua Classic room. After about 8 hrs of flying to Manila, I couldn't have remembered the difference between a supreme and a classic till I got to the room. 5 minutes in the room and I realized that the bathtub that was supposed to be in my room wasn't there! I was given a lower scale room! So I marched off to the reception and showed them my confirmation booking again. ( I wish they would read it !). I was politely told that the room I had booked wasn't available and that they were sorry. I had to not so politely tell them back that I was not prepared to stay in that room and I wanted the room I had booked. In an instant, I was offered a club room which was apparently a step up from the room I had booked. This was till my original room was made available. I was ok with this arrangement.

The Room : The room was nice. Had a seperate area with a couch to sit in. TV in that room and another TV in the bedroom. The room had a bit of a smell to it. The aquarium adorned the walls of both rooms and was very nice. There were also two bathrooms. I headed for the shower and the water was cold. Not lukewarm... but absolutely cold. Since it was late evening and I was already quite hassled, I didn't complain. Strangely, the water out of the tap that was connected to the tub had hot water! The next morning, the water was still cold! I complained about it and they sent someone up to check. He came in and checked, and when he did, the water was warm!! I thought the problem was resolved. One hour later, when I went into the shower, the water was cold again!!! I did not raise the issue since I was going to be changing rooms and going back to my originally booked room shortly.

I changed to the Aqua Supreme room, and I felt this room was much nicer than the club room. It was smaller, but felt a lot more comfortable. It was clean, and there was hot water in all the taps! The bed was nice and comfortable and I did not have any noise issues during my stay here. However, the 2nd day onwards, my keycard would expire and I would have to take a long walk back to the reception to get it enabled again. This happened on 3 occasions. I'm normally very polite wherever I go, but once again, I had to really express my displeasure at the reception to have them keep it enabled till the end of my stay. A simple process they should have done in the first place.

Food : Breakfast was the only meal I had there (except for one forgettable room service snack). Its at their restaurant in the 2nd floor called "makan". It was a typical breakfast spread and the food was decent. They also have a bar called 'White Moon Bar" which overlooks the bay. There is also some sort of a lounge at the entrance of the ocean park. I don't know if the latter is attached to the hotel, but I didn't visit either.

Conclusion : The hotel is new and clean. However, I have huge problems with the way it is being run. Even though the staff are nice and polite all the way, I don't really think they are experienced enough to know how to manage guests. The aquariums in the room are a nice novelty, but it wears off after a while. I can't imagine a hotel mucking up on so many issues during my stay there. I would not be going back to this hotel and I do not recommend it for a stay in Manila.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business