“Awesome Hotel in Manila”
Review of Casa Bocobo Hotel

Casa Bocobo Hotel
Ranked #18 of 109 Hotels in Manila
Reviewed March 8, 2011

This hotel has very good customer service. I stayed in a standard room payed $2000peso on promo rates but decided to upgrade to a deluxe room for an extra 300 peso. The standard was small and I would not recommend this room to anyone unless u have a serious budget however the Deluxe Room was excellent with a big bed. I had two ladies stay with me for two nights and I didnt even get charged for having an extra person there, the bed fitted all of us. There was some noise but you can tolerate it if you are not too fussy. WiFi is very good in room. Restraunt was closed most of the time so didnt get a chance to use it much even though we had free breakfast we didnt use it because we always slept in until late. Location is good coming out of the entrance turning right on the same street u have a 24hr McDonald's just on the corner less than a minute away by walking distance. Turning left about a minute and a half or a bit more is a massage parlour at a good price and a SevenEleven. Robinsons Mall is only a 2-3 minute walk or so. I will defenitely come back here again...you can really enjoy it.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank markrob0

Reviewed December 24, 2010

I am very pleased at this hotel despite the fact that it's located in the historic red light district of Ermita.

So when you get a hankering for food in the later part of the evening, you might get an eyeball-full of creepy old Westerners with sinfully younger Filipino women who are old enough to be their granddaugthers. My husband and I had wonderful social commentary about the fact until we realized that most people probably have the same opinion of us at first glance. I am a Filipina American with a Western husband. Yes, he is my age so we don't look that creepy together.

This hotel is walking distance from Robinson's Ermita, Rizal Park, Ocean Park, Intramuros, and an (approximately) P120-P200 cab ride to Mall of Asia (depending on whether your cabbie for the day wants to rip you off for being a Gringo or not).

This hotel is clean. I can't say enough about how clean this hotel is. I hate bugs and I hate mold and I remember being a child in the Philippines before ubiquitous air conditioning when bugs and mold were all over the place even if you had window screens. This hotel had neither bugs nor mold in the bathroom grout. Definite plus for me!

The staff here are over-the-top polite. I am too used to getting reluctant service from pimply-faced American teenagers. I think it's a staff requirement that each and every one of them must greet you. I might've said good morning 10 times one morning when they were making up the rooms.

Two disadvantages though: we didn't have washcloths in the room which makes for some interesting showering conditions when you have a bottle of bath gel.

No elevators. If you have to get around in a wheelchair, people would have to carry you over their shoulder like you were in a Jewish wedding.

Protips:
The Yellow Cab taxi company is around the corner. They turn on the meter unlike those white cabs. Use them. They are a little expensive up front but at least you know what you're paying.

The malls are loud as all get-out. As in, the decibel level of the "background music" is about the same level as a dance club. I wish I was kidding.

Watch your step when walking. The sidewalks around the area are broken and uneven and some are non-existent.

Are you used to big open roads in the US? Take a valium before you get on your first cab ride from the airport (approximately P400 using the Airport Taxi). The driving style here is best described as New York City-style close quarters. If you live in Paris, some parts of Latin America, or NYC, the cabbies are diving "normally" then.

The breakfast here is pretty decent despite the fact that my spoiled American palette had to get used to the different flavors. I took advantage of the breakfast buffet since I am Filipina after all and I didn't want to waste perfectly good breakfast vouchers.

Overall, I would recommend this hotel. If you are a cynical traveler like me, you'd love the people watching opportunities. Take note though, the beggar children will break your heart so bring some little toys for them if you can.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank kawaiianme
Reviewed December 21, 2010

Fantastic, clean, good price, excellent quality. Food excellent. Staff were polite and extremely helpful. I will definitely use this hotel again when I am in the Philippines

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MERM8264
Reviewed December 19, 2010

I was in Manila for a business transaction and this hotel is very accessible, for it located near the LRT and Roxas Boulevard.

Though, it is relatively expensive (paid 500+ for a taxi from the airport), it is easy to go within Manila area through jeepneys.

The breakfast has limited choices, but the staff are very friendly and efficient. I had no problems with the small room i have. They also have fast internet connection.

I could hear some karaoke singing outside my room during late at night, so it is better to ask the desk for a quieter room.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank Cheryl0729
Reviewed December 14, 2010

Good staff very nice, nice room, good value for your money. The only problem is that the meals are too small

• Stayed: December 2010
1  Thank Tonylavrov
Reviewed December 9, 2010

Stayed 12 nights at this hotel. The customer service is excellent. The staff is friendly, accomodative and responsive. Everthing from reservations to security and dining at the cafe was a enjoyable experience. You must experience this for yourself. Location of the hotel to Ermita Robinson mall is only 5 minute walk and many fast food eateries around the hotel. Dynasty Seafood and the Seafood Market are located within minutes from the hotel. Hotel is located within an area that display some signs of poverty but considering all the other advantages such as site seeing venues, shopping and location of nightlife on the infamous roxas blvd is just minutes ride from the hotel. Taxis and jeepneys run in front of the hotel. Cost of taxi from airport to hotel is about 300 php and rom hotel to airport without traffic is about 150 php.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank GREGORY02
Reviewed November 29, 2010

The hotel looks newish and tiny but clean. However there as no elevator since i think it's just a 2 storey building. But... nobody assisted me with my luggage that i have to carry my stroller alone up the stairs since the hotel clerk was alone and busy handling other customers. When i got to the second floor, there were a lot of hotel staff there and it is very noticeable since they wear their work get up. Its just that there are too many , like 5 of them lounging around. They were polite though but i find it creepy when i go in and out of my room for three days and i see 5 of them just hanging around the hallway. You dont want them to see you leave your room and notice you are leaving your stuff begind and nobody is inside. That is very uncomfortable. I think management has to minimize or discreetly position their staff in strategic places in the hall and not appear like the staff are just hanging out and noisily chatting with each other. By the way, there was a blackouit at that time and My God , it took them 45min to an hour to fix it.... i was drenched in sweat. And i orderd a few bottle of mineral water, they gave me something out of the box, not cold or cool at all. Anyway, the hotel was okay, bathroom was nice, clean rooms, love the breakfast..... overall it was a good stay except for a lot of hanging around hotel staff

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business