“Clean, safe, and very affordable.”
Review of Casa Bocobo Hotel

Casa Bocobo Hotel
Ranked #18 of 108 Hotels in Manila
Highland Heights, Ohio
“Clean, safe, and very affordable.”
Reviewed March 16, 2012

Ok, I honestly have not visited this hotel, however, my wife has stayed at this hotel twice in 2011. She was my fiancé then and needed to travel to Manila for her medical exam at St. Luke’s Hospital and for her interview at the U.S. Embassy. I booked her and her aunt, who accompanied her, both times at this hotel. After reviewing several on-line maps of the area, I believed this hotel is in the perfect spot to walk to both locations. I really liked the fact that I was able to reserve the room through their website and pay for the room using the PayPal link within their website. The confirmation voucher was emailed to me very quickly and all other correspondence from the hotel was always very fast by email. I added a few photos of their room that my wife took with her phone, but she says that she took photos the next morning and not upon arrival......so it looks messy!

I interviewed my wife regarding the following details:
Security: She stated that there was an attendant outside the hotel to meet and greet arriving guests.
Room Service: Room service was available, but they did not order anything.
Breakfast Buffet: The breakfast buffet was plentiful and delicious with mostly all Filipino food.
Room Safe: There was no room safe.
Pool: No pool at this hotel.
Taxi Service: Taxis were always available for hire by just stepping out front and walking a short distance down the street. But sometimes you could catch one right out front.
Pros: The perfect location for attending your exam at St. Luke’s and for your U.S. Embassy interview. Also, Robinson’s Mall is a short distance away. And Mall of Asia is also a short distance by taxi. My Wife and her Aunt both state that they would gladly stay there again. Cons: She only stated that the hallways seemed darker than most other hotels and should have been more well lit.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Flynster

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
North Houston, Texas
Reviewed March 13, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for a total of 3 nights and thought it was very clean. The staff was very helpful (the front desk attendant actually used her own cell phone several times to communicate with someone for me).

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
International
Reviewed February 19, 2012

I want to start off by saying that the staff is wonderful. They are always kind and courteous. The hotel is clean. I mean they clean constantly. As far as breakfast goes, Some foreigners might not like it because they do not serve a traditional breakfast like bacon, sausage, scrambled eggs, pancakes, etc. However they serve traditional pinoy food and some other types. I have to say that breakfast was always great and enjoyable. If you are in the Philippines learn to eat with a fork and spoon. It's different but also fun.

The room was a standard room with two beds. The room was always clean. The only thing that I didn't like was that sometimes when there was trash the cleaning people didn't always take it so sometimes it piled up. They also lost two of my shirts in dry cleaning. I'm not happy with that nor was I compensated for it.

Other than that, I would say if you want an affordable place to stay, this is a great hotel. You are literally across the street from Rizal Park and the hotel is in the city, there are a lot of people. I know that someone mentioned about it being in a rough neighborhood. Honestly it's like NYC and there are some parts that are okay to be in late at night and there are other parts that you shouldn't. I was out around 2am sometimes and it was very quiet. I would just say that since we are foreigners in another country just be careful of your surroundings always.

Lastly the hotel is only two floors so if you have issues with stairs, I would not advise this hotel as it does not have an elevator and lastly the wi-fi isn't bad. It's fastest early in the morning and late at night. Overall it's a good property and I don't want to discourage anyone from staying. I was just unhappy with my visit.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Iampinoy
Virginia
Reviewed February 11, 2012

My wife & I spent a few nights at Casa Bocobo Hotel. It's affordable and clean, and close to the historic Intramuros walled city if you care to take a walk around there. The free breakfast buffet is good.

We walked around the neighborhood on a couple of evenings. Not the nicest part of town though there is a Robinson's mall and a variety of restaurants very close by. We were beset by street urchins a few blocks from the hotel on one occasion.

A few negatives: the doors & walls were a bit thin, our wake-up calls came up to 20 minutes later than we asked for, and on one occasion we were unable to connect to the Internet. Nothing that kept us from having a good night's sleep.

In light traffic, a taxi ride to/from the airport takes 30-40 minutes and costs about 160 pesos. Note that Jorge Bocobo Street is one-way so the driver will have to turn in from Kalaw St.

Room Tip: "Petite" rooms are fine for couples unless you need something bigger or fancier for some r...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank William B
Philippines
Reviewed February 10, 2012

I stayed here for 5 nights. The staff is very friendly, free breakfast was delicious and the rooms are very clean. Sometimes I would not get back to the hotel until late and I always saw the staff cleaning the halls. They go put of their way to help you. Walking distance is Robinson mall and many restaurants. I will stay here again in the future.

Room Tip: I stayed in a room on the back side. Very quiet.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Philippines - D... C
415AD, Officer-in-Charge at Casa Bocobo Hotel, responded to this review, February 11, 2012
Greetings from Casa Bocobo!

We thank you for the praises you have for us. Our family from Cafe Bocobo appreciates that you found breakfast "delicious".

We look forward on your next visit. Please contact us should you need assistance.

Brighton, England
Reviewed January 29, 2012

Stayed here for a long weekend in January. As was the norm, I studied TA thoroughly before making the booking and had a certain level of expectation before I arrived.
There are definitely alot of plusses, as well as a few minuses - perhaps signs of a 'fledgeling' hotel but although this hotel is fairly new, there were things that puzzled me as to their absence. No tooth-brushes/paste - I was glad I brought my own - comb, hairdryer or kettle. Safe was next to the lobby and not in the room which was okay.
The breakfast was okay - it does change but you may choose to have breakfast outside.
The staff are very friendly - from the guy outside the door who helps you hail the taxi, to the always-smiling Claine (sp?) at the front desk and other staff. After a night out, it was strange when there seemed to be 6-7+ staff in the corridor scrubbing / mopping / cleaning at 2-3am in the morning but obviously just a minor.

Cleanliness, rooms and service to a high standard. Overall a good choice and I would stay here again.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank ChipPan
Greetings from Casa Bocobo!

We thank you for writing us a review. Your insights are noted. Rest assured, we are in the process of taking a closer look on the issues mentioned to prevent recurrence.

It is gratifying to read from your review that you found the staff "very friendly". Claine extends her appreciation for mentioning her here on TripAdvisor.

We hope to see you again soon.

South Florida
Reviewed January 26, 2012

I recently took my first trip to Manila and not being familiar with the area was a little leary. I researched many hotels, checking and reading the ratings on Tripadvisor. I thought I had made a choice and then I discovered Casa Bocobo! Although it is considered a budget hotel, as an American I would not consider it in that class. It starts from the moment you drive up to be greeted by friendly, courteous, helpful staff who bend over backwards to serve you. Throughout the week we stayed there, I was constantly impressed by the amount and the quality of the staff. They definately proved that the Filippino people are tops when it comes to good service! The hotel is very clean and the room we had was more than adequate, with a kind size bed, desk, sofa, flat screen TV, stocked refrigerator, large closet, safe and a sparkling bathroom and shower. We did have problems with the card for the door lock and had to have staff come and correct it more than once. The problems getting in and out continued for 2-3 days until finally it was fixed. I felt they should have addressed the issue immediately and was getting a little frustrated with the continual irritation. I will say that anytime we had a problem, there were always staff people in the halls, ready to come to your immediate assistance. Without that level of service, this problem would have been much worse! I thought the room price was very reasonable, especially when it included a full breakfast buffet every morning of traditional Filippino foods which were very good and served beautifully. We ate many nights at the hotel restaurant and were once again very please with the price and quality. My only complaint here, and maybe this is cultural, is that once they bring the food, they never returned to see how it was or if you needed anything additional. Everytime I wanted more coffee or the check, I had to flag someone down. In regards to the area, it is in a great central location, right next to Rizal Park and very close to the US Embassy, the Sea Aquarium and Manila Bay. Robinson's Mall is also within walking distance. There were some pockets in the area of unsanitary conditions and beggers but with the number of security guards on the street, we never felt threatened. It was also convenient that there is a McDonalds, Jolibees and Chow King very close by when you want a quick inexpensive bite to eat. Although the hotel was a little slow to answer email inquiries prior to my arrival, they were very helpful and set up a taxi to pick me up and return me to the airport. I would definately recommend the Casa Bocobo Hotel for a good quality, good value place to stay in Manila. I would certainly return again to experience the hospitality of Casa Bocobo and the wonderful staff that works there!

Room Tip: I noticed some previous reviewers complained about rooms facing Bocobo Street and the level of stree...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank funintheflsun
415AD, Officer-in-Charge at Casa Bocobo Hotel, responded to this review, February 5, 2012
Greetings from Casa Bocobo Hotel!

Thank you for sharing your experience with us during your stay. Everyone was pleased that you found Casa Bocobo as "a great choice for lodging".

We have taken note of your insights as they are of high value. Rest assured, we are in the process of taking a closer look on the difficulties mentioned to prevent recurrence.

We are gratified that you found your stay pleasurable. Please advise us should you need assistance on your future reservation.