“can't go past casa bocobo”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Casa Bocobo Hotel

Casa Bocobo Hotel
Ranked #19 of 109 Hotels in Manila
Brisbane, Australia
“can't go past casa bocobo”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2011

I've previously stayed at this hotel in 2009 and was happy then so re-booked this time. To put it simply just about everything here is good, particularly value for money, location (close to NAIA airport, mall of asia etc) service and cleanliness. The hotel has been renovated prior to 09 and is starting to show a bit of wear and tear but nothing serious and not enough to put me off. It is basic accomodation but great value for those travelling on a budget (the place is that good it prompted me to write this review). I have stayed in a couple of other manila properties and am not as happy with them as this hotel. Highly recommended!

1 Thank ian_aus

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Victoria
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2011

We stayed at Casa Bocobo for 2 nights in March 2011. We stayed in their other location at Zen Towers, as this is where their apartments are and the pool. The apartments are no bigger than a standard hotel room and the bathroom was very small, only just enough room to step inside and close door. The room was clean. We arrived at the main Casa Bocobo reception and were taken by a taxi with hotel employee to Zen Towers location, we had no idea where we were as it was night time and we felt a bit uncomfortable. The following day we went out for day and when trying to get back by taxi, no taxi driver knew where Zen Towers was located, we gave them copy of our receipt with address but still not luck. We had to get out of the taxi as we were just driving around in circles. We walked a bit and asked some locals with no luck, we then had to get another taxi to take us to main reception of Casa Bocobo and again a staff member had to accompany taxi driver to give instructions. We later found out it was across road from SM Mall which taxi would possibly have known location of. We were supposed stay here again for a night after going to an island for a few days and returning to Manila, however due to our experience we cancelled our booking and stayed at Diamond Hotel, which we would highly recommend...I have written a separate review of this hotel.

Room Tip: Avoid staying at Zen Towers location
6 Thank julesvj
Bangalore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2011

There are 3 things that make this a great choice :-

1) The rooms and toilets are spotlessly clean! Though the rooms are a bit cramped

2) The service of the staff is extremely warm and very prompt!

3) is perfectly located for tourists. 3 mins walk to Rizal Park (go there in the early morning to watch crazy aerobics), 15 mins brisk walk or 3 min cab ride to Intramuros, and finally, the night party scene begins just down the road. Oh wait! It's also just a 10mins walk from the LRT station

The only down side is that some rooms are a bit cramped. And remember to ask for a room away from the road coz it can get quite noisy

1 Thank Sunawala
Perth
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2011

This hotel has very good customer service. I stayed in a standard room payed $2000peso on promo rates but decided to upgrade to a deluxe room for an extra 300 peso. The standard was small and I would not recommend this room to anyone unless u have a serious budget however the Deluxe Room was excellent with a big bed. I had two ladies stay with me for two nights and I didnt even get charged for having an extra person there, the bed fitted all of us. There was some noise but you can tolerate it if you are not too fussy. WiFi is very good in room. Restraunt was closed most of the time so didnt get a chance to use it much even though we had free breakfast we didnt use it because we always slept in until late. Location is good coming out of the entrance turning right on the same street u have a 24hr McDonald's just on the corner less than a minute away by walking distance. Turning left about a minute and a half or a bit more is a massage parlour at a good price and a SevenEleven. Robinsons Mall is only a 2-3 minute walk or so. I will defenitely come back here again...you can really enjoy it.

2 Thank markrob0
Alameda, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 24, 2010

I am very pleased at this hotel despite the fact that it's located in the historic red light district of Ermita.

So when you get a hankering for food in the later part of the evening, you might get an eyeball-full of creepy old Westerners with sinfully younger Filipino women who are old enough to be their granddaugthers. My husband and I had wonderful social commentary about the fact until we realized that most people probably have the same opinion of us at first glance. I am a Filipina American with a Western husband. Yes, he is my age so we don't look that creepy together.

This hotel is walking distance from Robinson's Ermita, Rizal Park, Ocean Park, Intramuros, and an (approximately) P120-P200 cab ride to Mall of Asia (depending on whether your cabbie for the day wants to rip you off for being a Gringo or not).

This hotel is clean. I can't say enough about how clean this hotel is. I hate bugs and I hate mold and I remember being a child in the Philippines before ubiquitous air conditioning when bugs and mold were all over the place even if you had window screens. This hotel had neither bugs nor mold in the bathroom grout. Definite plus for me!

The staff here are over-the-top polite. I am too used to getting reluctant service from pimply-faced American teenagers. I think it's a staff requirement that each and every one of them must greet you. I might've said good morning 10 times one morning when they were making up the rooms.

Two disadvantages though: we didn't have washcloths in the room which makes for some interesting showering conditions when you have a bottle of bath gel.

No elevators. If you have to get around in a wheelchair, people would have to carry you over their shoulder like you were in a Jewish wedding.

Protips:
The Yellow Cab taxi company is around the corner. They turn on the meter unlike those white cabs. Use them. They are a little expensive up front but at least you know what you're paying.

The malls are loud as all get-out. As in, the decibel level of the "background music" is about the same level as a dance club. I wish I was kidding.

Watch your step when walking. The sidewalks around the area are broken and uneven and some are non-existent.

Are you used to big open roads in the US? Take a valium before you get on your first cab ride from the airport (approximately P400 using the Airport Taxi). The driving style here is best described as New York City-style close quarters. If you live in Paris, some parts of Latin America, or NYC, the cabbies are diving "normally" then.

The breakfast here is pretty decent despite the fact that my spoiled American palette had to get used to the different flavors. I took advantage of the breakfast buffet since I am Filipina after all and I didn't want to waste perfectly good breakfast vouchers.

Overall, I would recommend this hotel. If you are a cynical traveler like me, you'd love the people watching opportunities. Take note though, the beggar children will break your heart so bring some little toys for them if you can.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank kawaiianme
Welwyn Garden City, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 21, 2010

Fantastic, clean, good price, excellent quality. Food excellent. Staff were polite and extremely helpful. I will definitely use this hotel again when I am in the Philippines

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MERM8264
Iloilo City, Philippines
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 19, 2010

I was in Manila for a business transaction and this hotel is very accessible, for it located near the LRT and Roxas Boulevard.

Though, it is relatively expensive (paid 500+ for a taxi from the airport), it is easy to go within Manila area through jeepneys.

The breakfast has limited choices, but the staff are very friendly and efficient. I had no problems with the small room i have. They also have fast internet connection.

I could hear some karaoke singing outside my room during late at night, so it is better to ask the desk for a quieter room.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business