“GREAT LOCATION, GREAT HOTEL”
Review of Rothman Hotel

Rothman Hotel
Ranked #9 of 108 Hotels in Manila
Copenhagen, Denmark
“GREAT LOCATION, GREAT HOTEL”
Reviewed May 3, 2013

I came here more than 100 times over a period of some 31 years. I have seen staff growing older, and I have seen new staff coming in and running so fast..., people who were not yet born when I came here for the first time in 1982.
I used to live in Japan for 11 years and came over to the Philippines approximately every second month, for work (I am a music professor in western classical music, doing solo concerts, television appearances, work shops and also educational advise consultation for government people).
This is my favorite hotel when I have to pay the bill myself. Value for money. - Just make sure you get a room with a proper air con (they are not all good and some are "noise-noise").

The hotel is located in Malate, the "French Quater" of Manila, and with hundreds of wonderful restaurant all around, incl. so many international restaurants too. And Robinson Shopping Center is just 5 min. walk away...., and Roxas Boulevard just 7 minutes away, with the most wonderful sunset in the world (red and golden) (don't go there alone in the evening due to rubbers and bad people around, but with family or friends, plus colt 45, then ok!).

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
4 Thank GADE1

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed March 15, 2013

My wife stayed here twice during our trip th first was for 2 night's to suss it out and we enjoyed our stay that much we booked in again for our last 3 nights, When we first came here we were impressed with the location it is at most a 300meter walk to the entrance of the midtown entrance of the robinsons mall. We spent our first 2 nights in one the cheaper rooms and it was a pretty good room it was very big and clean the ac was fine the bathroom was ok the carpet is probably due to be redone but it was by no means run down and was excellent value its a very solid building so you get very little traffic noise in the rooms, I also liked that they don't allow minors that are unrelated to the guest into the guestroom.The doormen and security are helpfull and professional, they take records of taxi's people go in from the hotel and take notice of people entering the hotel which makes it a very safe place for tourists to stay. the ladies at front desk are very nice and friendly. and the restraunt is small but has a nice ambience and the complimentry breakfast is delicious i highly reccommend the daing na bangus. We ended our stay in one of the dearer renovated rooms it was very nice room it came with a large lcd tv a new ac and a modern bathroom the only recommendation i would make which i forgot to mention to the staff would be to install a exhaust fan in the bathroom. but overall a very good hotel that is very well run.

Room Tip: sex tourist shouls probably look elsewhere this is more of a family friendly hotel.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank owen r
Emmerich L, Manager at Rothman Hotel, responded to this review, April 12, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time out to put in a good word for us. We strive to provide excellent value and service to our guests. And getting a review like this give us great pleasure and makes us want to do much more for all our wonderful guests.
Hong Kong
Reviewed February 17, 2013

Well, to start with, this is a hotel providing very cheap rooms. I did not expect a lot from it. The room itself is very clean even though very old. Don't be misled by the pictures. Both the outside and inside of the hotel are very very old. The nicest and newest area is the lobby of the hotel where you can enjoy the free WIFI. The room got a very weird potato smell when I first got into it. The smell was even stronger in the corridor. The situation did improve the next day.

The check-in counter is efficient and the receptionists are very friendly and polite. The other staff and janitors are very nice and polite as well.

The location of the hotel is excellent as it is right next to the huge mall, Robinsons Place.

The hotel is not really for couples and families as I could see a lot of Japanese men coming into the hotel without their wife or girlfriend. I could also see a number of pimps in the hotel lobby.

In conclusion, the hotel has great staff but prostitution and nightlife is not the type of holiday I am after. For me, it is a NO.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank miraclen
Emmerich L, Manager at Rothman Hotel, responded to this review, April 12, 2013
Thank you for pointing out the excellent value that we offer. We pride ourselves in offering budget-friendly rates, large clean rooms as well as friendly and service-oriented staff in an unbeatable location. Due to our location, being in the center of the Manila tourist district and close to the different convention centers and embassies, we get a lot of travellers who are here for business hence, travelling alone. I assure you that we do not condone prostitution and most definitely do not allow pimps to hang out inside hotel premises.
Kuching, Sarawak
Reviewed January 20, 2013

I stayed at Rothman Hotel from 13-19 January 2013, and I enjoyed the stay.
I took the rear room (smoking room) which is quieter. The lights are not that bright but the room is cozy enough for me. Nice, strong shower with hot and cold water. It's an oldie but goodie hotel - good location - and only a few minutes walk to Robinson's Place shopping mall. Roxas Boulevard is about 15 minutes walk away. My initial email enquiries were answered very promptly. The hotel staff work hard to make your stay an enjoyable one. Thank you to everyone.
I will definitely stay here again.

Victor
Malaysia

Room Tip: Rooms at the back are quieter.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
6 Thank VicDavies
Emmerich L, Manager at Rothman Hotel, responded to this review, April 12, 2013
Thank you, sir. See you again.
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed December 22, 2012

On arrival at the Rothman I was slightly disappointed as it didn't look like the pictures on here! The rooms, although good value, were very dated and dark. Our standard room was clean but looked so old and dingy, it made me want to get out and stay out for the day.

Room Tip: Buy some drinking water as you can't drink from the taps and the hotel doesn't provide any u...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Josavage
Nusa Dua, Indonesia
Reviewed November 23, 2012

This is an update to my previous review of December 2011.

I believe for a hotel review to be relevant, one should have realistic
expectations, given the price one pays for d hotel, compared with its
local peers. When one pays for a 3*hotel, one should not expect a
5*room or amenities.

I have stayed in Rothman Hotel several times since my review
of December 2011, n I still maintain it is the best value-for-money
hotel in Manila.

LOCATION: Staying at Rothman saves me money, saves me time. Coz I
avoid shady taxi drivers n Manila's traffic jams. 3mins walk to
Robinsons mall Ermita, n I find everything I need - numerous
restaurants, supermarket, shops, money changer - there.

ROOM:- Standard Room is good enough. Room rates up only slightly over d past year for d Standard room - now peso1955 (US$50). Big room, with a separate dining room/foyer,
which makes it library quiet, cuts out all corridor noise. Best to request
rooms facing d back.

HOTEL:- Security is good. Reception is friendly n efficient. Better
maintained & cleaner than some Manila 5 star hotels I have stayed in -
I hardly noticed any ants or cockroaches during my numerous stays in
Rothman.

Renovations ongoing, start around 8-9am, stops after 7pm. But I never
found it loud enough that it disturbed my sleep.

TIP:- Book in advance online@ hotel website, coz its always full.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms facing the back
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
5 Thank rollingstone66
Emmerich L, Manager at Rothman Hotel, responded to this review, May 28, 2013
Dear Sir,
I am sorry to hear about the unfortunate incident. Rest assured that the hotels in the area are working towards a safer Malate. These instances are rare. A personal tip is not to use your cellphone while walking on the streets and this tip is best observed regardless of where you are in Metro Manila.
Puerto Galera, Philippines
Reviewed November 11, 2012

I keep coming back to the Rothman to stay when I'm in Manila, because of the price and comfort. At around $50 AUD, it has always been good value. I noticed however on my last stay that extensive renovations were being done and that renovated rooms were around P3,200. So in the future maybe the value won't be there anymore, will depend on the quality of the reno I guess.
I have always had a good size room there and a very comfortable bed, the staff are always very friendly, the breakfast is reasonable. Easy to get a taxi in front of the hotel, I nice easy walk to Robinson's Mall.

Room Tip: Above the 3rd floor as there is a ballroom on the 2nd floor and it can be very noisy until 1am.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple