“Expect to be treated poorly!”

Citystate Tower Hotel
Ranked #75 of 109 Hotels in Manila
Indiana
“Expect to be treated poorly!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 19, 2011

I stayed for 30 days in this hotel and the hassle of moving to another hotel and losing deposit money kept me from leaving or I would have done so on day one! The rooms are absolutely cramped and not very well kept. The bed is nothing more than a thin piece of foam on wooden base. If you enjoy sleeping on a super hard bed then this is the place for you. If you are looking for comfort and clean rooms look elsewhere. Even after showing the desk clerk my proof of deposit via Western Union the amount was never applied to my bill and I was charged an extra 800PHP upon checkout. It was bad enough to be charged extra but having my $50 USD deposit virtually stolen from me was the straw the broke the camels back. They told me they would apply it to a future stay at CityState. That simply will not happen. You could not pay me to stay at this "rip off the tourist" hotel. While eating a meal downstairs in the restaurant an Australian man got upset with me because I closed my laptop with him staring at it. He came over and started screaming at me and wanting to fight. Security stood by watching and did nothing. So much for looking after the customers. Safe yourself the hassles and find a different hotel. I would highly recommend La Carona which is a Best Western hotel just two blocks away. A little more expensive but miles and miles ahead in the quality hotel category.

Room Tip: The best room to choose is in another hotel!
  • Stayed January 2011, traveled solo
3 Thank Phantasmic1

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Bangkok
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2011

The City State Tower Hotel is the kind of hotel that was probably classy 30 years ago, and still would be if it was kept properly. It has very different kinds of rooms - old and new, noisy and quiet, with and without window. In some, internet works; in others, it doesn’t. It’s important to make the right choice, otherwise it can be hell. The air con units in the old rooms for instance tend to be extremely noisy. You may also get a windowless room where a previous guest has been smoking - imagine the smell. The best choice is probably a new superior with a window, but far away from the very noisy central air conditioner. If you get that, the place can be a good choice.

The same variety is in the staff. Some are very snooty and unpleasant, others are nice. In short, this place is always good for a surprise, good or bad. If you are the adventurous type, that’s ok. If not, you want to stay somewhere else, where there is more consistency.

One more advice: I was robbed of all my money by a kid’s gang in front of the drugstore / convenience store around the corner, at night. Thanks to a security guard, I got my wallet with credit cards and ID back after 20 minutes (do they work together??) but it was still a very unpleasant experience. Manila is dangerous, so be careful.

Room Tip: New Superior with windows, far away from central air con unit.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
4 Thank garmic57

Travelers are raving about these Manila hotels

comox
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 22, 2011

a romantic dinner for 2 , in the special high class Italian restaurant of the citystate hotel.Manila
It sounds great , a pity that we where the only guest that evening .....we had a pianist and a female singer as live music .....
We ordered some appetizers , and while we where in a romantic talk and taking our time for tasting the mozzarella starter ......they put our main dishes before our nose .....if we had to catch the taxi for the first movie at the cinema .....I asked polite ........did we ordered our main course yet to be served?.........20 minutes later , we asked our main course........it was a disaster......food was kept warm under a lamp .......hard / dry / my special chicken was wood .
We waited 30 minutes for a manager , the head chef ran away for a 40 minutes smoke....and no manager ....... this is insane...... We never , again never had such a bad experience with a classy restaurant .........you order ...you pay , even when the food is not eatable anymore...........

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
5 Thank evegte
London UK...
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2011

stayed just 1 night at this place, room was clean but location has a lot of noise.
Yes its a budget hotel but what i did not expect was being woken at 2 30 am by 2
females banging on my door, When i asked them what they wanted they informed me
that they were here to give me a massage! I informed them i did not want a massage
they then informed me that the receptionist had told them i needed their service.
I asked for the duty manager to come see me,, he explained it was a room mix up!
Yes i can laugh at it but it shows lack of communication and attention from the staff!
Never again will i stay at this hotel again..
I do not to give a rating for this hotel.

Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
5 Thank peacfullone
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2011

From the outside, no one would ever think that this hotel has more than 200 rooms with different types, from Deluxe to Suite. This is one of the hotels in Manila that has an occupancy rate of 98% if not 100% daily. Maybe because of the rate that they have. Very affordable, very convenient (stone throw away from US embassy), polite staff and security personnels and many more.

The rooms are clean, food is great and conveniently located in the watering holes such as G Point Resto bar. The public transportations are here, jeep and taxi. There is a valet parking also, which is convenient to the guests. Around 30 minutes drive to the airport and near shopping mall, Robinson's department store.

Room Tip: Choose the rooms in the new building although all rooms are clean and comfortable.
  • Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
8 Thank monsiserrano
London UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2011

I stayed at the Citystate Tower Hotel for 3 days before heading down to Sabang to go diving and found the hotel to be very clean and also in a good location for going shopping and also close to the nightlife area of Ermita the hotel has a small casino attached to it but I only looked in and did not gamble.

I did notice there was a lot of security around the hotel but I did notice that this is normal in manila the breakfast was not buffet style and was not very big but it was okay.

The check in staff and bell boys were very helpfull and polite but the internet was not included in the price and I paid for the service but it was very slow and not very constant I would stay here again if I was in Manila

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank Chang-Siam
Zamboanga City, Philippines
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2011

We always stay in this hotel every time we visit Manila. We stay there because it is very safe. They have security dog to smell the luggage before entering the hotel and the floors are equipped with surveillance cameras. The room is clean, as well as the lobby. The hotel has slot machines to keep you entertained 24hrs! Before I forgot, the location is great. Just minutes walk to Robinsons Place. Chowking, Pharmacies, bank, Cheap salons are just along the street. The only downside of this hotel is the breakfast. It is not that great, the last time we went there, they served spoiled bread but we complained it and they changed it right away.Overall, this hotel is better than others in my personal experience if you are on a budget trip.

Room Tip: They honor senior citizen discount!
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family