“Great spicy & sour BBQ pork in the cafe”
Review of Ilustrado

Ilustrado
Ranked #21 of 1,012 Restaurants in Manila
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Ilustrado, a term commonly used for the “enlightened” educated, well-traveled Filipino during the Spanish era. Today, Ilustrado caters to clients whose palates are conversant in savoring cosmopolitan and neoclassic flavors of Spanish, Filipino and International dishes. Nestled in the Walled city of Intramuros, Ilustrado offers casual and cafe dining in an exceptional setting.Kuatro Kantos Bar and CafeA statue of an irreverent St. Michael the Archangel, gin bottle in hand while slaying the dragon, presides over the bar counter. Antique, local art posters jostling for a space on the ochre walls. Carriage wheels suspended from the ceiling. Wrought iron furniture. Sunlight filtering through the red blinds bathe the room in a rosy glow. Open for breakfast, lunch, merienda and cocktails seven days a week. An all day dining menu is served with a Filipino breakfast & merienda, Spanish tapas and international pizza & pasta, a superb selection of cakes, hot savories, breads, coffee and temper coolers.Main Dining RoomPhilippine hardwood furniture, colonial ceiling fans wooden floors, antique chandeliers reflect the warm of a turn-of-the-century dining room. Here, Ilusrado’s famous callos and paella are meticulously served by courteous waiters. Open for lunch and dinner daily (except Sunday).The cuisine is gloriously Filipino-Spanish with its thoroughly research and inspired house specialties – Callos Madrilena, creamy and luscious bagnet, tender and flavorful Lengua con Setas and the popular Paella Ilustrado. The restaurant also boasts of a revolving International a la carte menu featuring Baked Eggplant in filo, Umbuyan Salad, Blue cheese and Lychee cocktail, traditional Caesar Salad, Lobster Bisque, Roast duck Ilustrado, meats and fresh seafood which changes quarterly. Function rooms are offered for small group private dining. The Garden Courtyard and Sinagtala ballrooms are known for celebrating memorable events and important corporate affairs.
Reviewed June 6, 2014 via mobile

My colleagues ordered more western dishes but I was keen to take the chance to try some good Philippines food. The spicy & sour BBQ pork belly was amazing. Really delighted after a week in which I had hunted in vain for much good local food.

IlustradoRes_Manager, Manager at Ilustrado, responded to this reviewResponded August 19, 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

Warm Greetings from Ilustrado!

We thank you for taking the time to share you comments to the Tripadvisor Community. We are pleased to hear that you were pleased with your order. Our adobong bagnet is one of our house specialties. It is Ilustrado's version of the Philippine National Dish. . Thank you once again for your kind remarks and we hope to have the pleasure of serving you and your colleagues again in Ilustrado. we have lots more local heritage cuisine for you to enjoy.

Reviewed May 27, 2014

It was my wife's birthday and we decided to have her birthday dinner here. We were not disappointed! We had a four course set dinner with starter (soft bread rolls with butter and pate), caesar salad, soup, callos and seafood paella. All were delicious and in good proportion. I enjoyed the paella the most. My wife loved the dessert which was a mango jubilee with sampaguita (a fragrant flower) ice cream. I found it weird tasting tough. This was suppose to be a fine dining restaurant so we came in smart casual. But most of the guests were in plain tshirt and shorts! Maybe because it was in the middle of summer (too hot to dress smart?).

IlustradoRes_Manager, Manager at Ilustrado, responded to this reviewResponded May 29, 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

Warm Greetings from Ilustrado!

We thank you for taking the time to share you comments to the Tripadvisor Community. We are pleased to hear that you and your wife enjoyed her birthday celebration with us. Our paella and mango jubilee are some of our signature dishes and we are also very glad that you liked them. Thank you once again for your kind remarks and we hope to have the pleasure of serving you, your wife and family and/or friends again in Ilustrado.

Reviewed May 17, 2014

My friend (who was visiting from London) and I, tried Ilustrado Restaurant for the first time after a walking tour of Intramuros. I liked the quiet and dim ambience as well as the antique Spanish decor. For starters, we ordered the Tapas Seafood Platter - Gambas, Calamari, Mussels & Fish Croquette (P320) which were all really good. We then had the house specialty, Paella Ilustrado (P850). There was some considerable wait time but we made good use of it by catching up. I've heard about how good the paella is and it didn't disappoint. On the other hand, service was quite under par and ho-hum. I ordered artificial sweetener for my coffee but it took more than 15 minutes before I got it as the waiter forgot that I asked for one. He seemed a little disoriented because I had to repeat to him twice what i wanted. I gave him the specific brand of the sweetener and asked if they have it but he did not appear to understand. I had to seek the help of another waiter and by that time, my coffee has gone cold. It would be nice if they re-trained their staff periodically as I know this is a famous go-to place for tourists. The frontline staff must be on their toes all the time to come back for more. I'd think twice about returning and would only visit them again for the same two items on the menu we ordered.

IlustradoRes_Manager, Manager at Ilustrado, responded to this reviewResponded May 18, 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

Warm greetings from Ilustrado!

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. We are very pleased to hear your positive comment on our food. However, we were unable to satisfy you. We thank you for bringing this matter to our attention. Rest assured, we will take steps to improve ourselves. We hope to have the pleasure of seeing you again in Ilustrado.

Reviewed May 16, 2014

I was endorsed by our driver this place is one of the superb and affordable tapas place in the old district. The decoration and ambiance are spectacular, however the cleanness needs to be improved. How do you image a cockroach shows up out of no where on table while enjoying the dinner. It was awful, and did ruin my appetite at the sight. Being honest the food overall were average, especially for paella is too salty, and hard to tell whether they have added in any saffron. I probably wont come back again since there's another similar one a few blocks away offering the same dishes, and Flamenco or live band performance.

1  Thank Carlitos_Huang

Thank you very much for sharing your experience with the TripAdvisor community. Here in Ilustradol, we always want to deliver the best moments to our valued guest. While Paella and Tapas are our, we are deeply apologetic that you were unable to enjoy your meal due to the unfavourable incident. Rest assured we have taken measures to improve ourselves. We hope to see you again in Ilustrado.

Reviewed May 14, 2014

i was enjoying the food and decoration very much
and staff treats you very well i thin it is great place to have date or family parties

Dear Valued Guest,

Warm greetings from Ilustrado!

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. We are very pleased to hear your positive comment on our food, decoration and staff. Our warm appreciation as well for recommending our place for dates and parties. Indeed we have many of those. We hope to have the pleasure of seeing and serving you again in Ilustrado.