“Centara still needs some time”

Centara Ras Fushi Resort & Spa Maldives
Ranked #1 of 35 Hotels in Male
Bangkok
“Centara still needs some time”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2013

We spent 4 nights at Centara in the Deluxe beachfront villa and boy, we were a bit disappointed. We had just arrive from mirihi where we had a wonderful stay and had equally high expectations. We were disappointed on several factors. The hotel is really new, so new that I can still smell the paint and the cements. There was too much construction on the island and hence, it did not give the feeling of being on a natural island but felt like staying on mainland. The room still showed signs of paint smears and dirt. The jacuzzi was really nice but it was outside and there was no walkway to connect the room to the jacuzzi except to walk through dirt and sand. The view from the room was blocked with 3 layers of sandbags and 3 trees so practically, we could not even see the beach from the room. There was also sandbags everywhere around the island. The sand was also not that nice.

The food was so-so and in my opinion, more like a three-star hotel compared to a 4 or 5 star. The All-inclusive package include some soft drinks and cocktails which were so-so. The pool bar was nice and I spent a lot of time at the pool and the pool bar. Snorkelling is non-existent with too much stones and no corals.

It was a relaxing holiday but Centara can do so much better.

Room Tip: The water villa seems nice but if you are going for a beach villa, you will have to choose between t...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Ravit S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (425)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Powys - UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2013

After a 10 hour flight we landed in Male and cleared customs which was fast for a change and stepped outside and for the first time ever we were not met by a rep from the Island we were going to visit, but that is not a major problem, as after asking a nice rep from another Island he showed us where to go. We then found the reps whom were very nice and showed us to some seats where we waited about 15-20 minutes and then we went to the boat and away we went. The water was choppy but after a few bangs and crashes all on board got used to it and the trip was fine, about 15 minutes I think.
Yes on the way you do pass ‘rubbish’ island but we never noticed it the whole 9 nights so as stated before in reviews it is not really an issue at all.
Upon arrival you get a cold towel and welcome drink, where you fill the normal forms and get a nice introduction talk about the island. We were lucky enough to get a free upgrade from deluxe beach villa to water villa and I am glad we did.
The island is quite newly opened so vegetation is very sparse but it is easy to see the design and how the vegetation will grow so you can see it is well planned for this. You will also notice they work endlessly to keep the island clean and there is always a team of ‘red shirts’ cleaning from 6am to about 4pm every day – A real pleasure to enjoy the island.
Our water villa 205, as you arrive at the island you will see 1 long bank of water villas to the left (about 80) and 2 smaller banks to the right, our villa was in the first of the smaller banks overlooking the island but swimming from here was nice as you could just float round to the beach even when current is strong, I think the big long bank of villas on the right may not be very safe to swim from if the current is strong. The villa is entered from the over water jetty and although they are very close you do have a reasonable degree of privacy. As you enter you have a little entrance area where the bathroom is to the left which is very clean and well set up and lots of storage space. However if you are like my wife and loves a long soak for an hour or two a couple times a week you are out of luck, a shower only is provided but to be honest this is fine for me. Past the lobby you go forward into the bedroom where there is a large bed I would say triple size and very comfortable, there is a wall mounted TV a table, mini bar and 2 chairs. Then there is the back wall all glass with double patio doors you open to your deck which is tiny but somehow it actually works the size was just fine with 2 sunbeds and a small table. Then finally the stairs down to the water but be careful the bottom 3 on ours were a death trap because of algae so slippery so we held on for dear life each time we went in and out of the water.
As you come out of the water there is a small shower head at the top of the stairs which is nice but now you have to walk all wet right through the villa to get to the bathroom which makes a mess so take a towel each time you go for a swim it keeps the villa cleaner.
On the island there are 30 beach villas but really they have no privacy at all and you will have people peering through your windows all day so avoid if you can, also a little tip if you are put in 129 or 130 ask to be changed instantly as you will see your beach is just sand bags and large rocks to stop the sea but when the waves get up I am sure you should call your bed a sea bed and the sea will be pounding on your patio doors and I assume enter your villa.
There are 3 restaurants on the island the main buffet one is Ocean and to be honest I found the food the best and for the Maldives it was without a doubt the best we have ever had there, also here and the service was good. The Italian was very good service but the rib steak was like a rubber boot and people said the Thai restaurant was ok, we never tried it. What we did find though is the 2 a la cart restaurants did have an all inclusive menu so you did not need to spend money to eat there but booking a seat is advisable.
There are 3 bars, the one in the pool opens until 6pm the others until 10pm we did not really use them but they looked fine.
The resort has been open since March so I assume the uniforms have not all arrived yet as it did look a bit cheap with everyone looking as though they wear their home clothes with a Centara T shirt thrown on top, however the staff were super friendly and very helpful so that was great.
Another big problem is for the first day or two they just walked into the villa no knocking or ringing the door bell which got very annoying so I had to complain to the manager, I understand they kindly gave us an upgrade but they should always knock on the villa door even if they thought no-one was there to be safe.
Also an annoying is the room key card seems to only last 3 days then you try to get in and you get a red light so you have to wander all the way back to reception to fix it, for me this was ok but had it been raining on these occasions it would have been very annoying. This was not just us it seemed most if not all had this issue.
The island is close to it but not really a bare foot island paradise, I would advise a pair of flip flops to keep your feet pain free.
The island really does well to welcome guests but it is not a 100% magical place yet but give it time as I am sure it will be one day.
Leaving the island was also very professional from the moment we waited for our boat to the moment the rep dropped us off at the seaplane lounge for our next island visit.
Saying all the above this Island is very welcoming and personally it does deserve my 5 star rating and if they keep trying so hard to keep their gests as valued customers then I am sure many many will return and more and more will come.

Room Tip: Avoid 129 and 130 beach bungalows as in rough weather you will be sleeping in the sea.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
11 Thank BeachHunter_8
sottrum
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2013

The best Resort of the Maldives. We started to go to the Maldives 1992 , it has been the
21 st time Maldives and the first time Centara Ras Fushi. The food was the best from all
the other Resorts. The rooms very clean very modern and nice and light inside.I do not
really know why some people say the food was not so good, perhaps they only drink champagne
at home and eat caviar (fish eggs). The pool bar was great , the Viu Bar beautiful just
a eye catching hole to look at the fish , a super idea and all the hanging hammocks around
the Viu Bar. All the waiters were very nice and friendly, you could sit at any table ( other
Resorts you had the same table throughout your holiday and you only had your one waiter,
so if you did not like your waiter bad luck ). We also thought these water bottles out of
glass were good with the Resorts name on it Centara Ras Fushi .When we got to Centara
you have to fill a card out, name, passort nr. and more, and then we were asked to pay
200 dollars (advanced payment) I told the lady we have got all inclusive, that is ok if
we do not spend any money we will get that back in the morning check-out. That was the
first Resort who did this kind of thing. Oh yes you get your glass wine out of a wine bottle
not a tetra pak. So believe me the best Resort ok some other Resorts may have a better
beach but that is the lot. Centara Ras Fushi we will see you again.We had nice weather
as well we got to Centara on the 28th May and left 6th June. One afternoon was a bit rainy
but most of the rain came in the night.

24 Thank Heidi B
Ormskirk, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2013

Spent a week at the resort with my wife from 25th May until 1st June. It was our first visit to the Maldives and we had a tremendous time at this very new resort. The choice of restaurants was excellent with differnt themes every evening. We went with the ntention of just relaxing and did just that. Apart from a bit of snorkelling off the beach we really did jus chill out for the week. The staff were absolutely great and couldn't do enough for us. I particularly liked the Viiu bar and the pool with it's poolside bar. Only one negative comment would be in relation to the flies that always seemed to appear for an hour or so between 5 and 6pm just prior to sunset but am reliably informed that this is due to the climate and was only a very minor negative. We stayed in a beach front villa as opposed to one of the water villa and I can definately reccomend these and have attached a photograph taken from the patio door walking out onto the beach from our villa, together with a picture of the pool and poolside bar and inside the tremendous VIIU bar..

8 Thank GordonJ114
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2013

My Husband and I have today just got back from Centara Ras Fushi, Maldives after being there for 6 days. We had a fab time and was very impressed with the hotel and staff. We were greeted at the airport and taken straight to a speedboat which took us to the island and we were there within 20 minutes, we were greeted off the boat and taken to reception where we were offered a cold drink and flannel, and then shown to our room which was very nice and clean with such an amazing view. We were always greeted by staff with smiling faces and they made us feel very very welcome. Shafeeq who was working the pool and beach bar was very attentive to your needs and always brought cold flannels and water throughout the day without having to be asked. The staff at the pool and beach bar were all very accomodating and they put clean towels on the sunloungers throughout the day so you are not sat on wet towels all day long.
In oceans resturant we were greeted with a smile and by Dewi who showed us to our table and again, the staff were great, they were there pouring water, introducing themselves and taking your order for drinks and were very accomodating in making sure you was happy with everything.
I cannot say a bad word about this place although I know some critics have. Would I go back ? Yes....Would I recommend to friends ? Without a doubt I would..
The food in the Thai resturant is very nice and in the Italian and again, all the staff are very nice. We had a bad experience with a meal but it was taken away and changed with no fuss. The food in Oceans is buffet food and each night is a theme night, and is very good also. At breakfast they have an egg station but I wanted poached eggs and although they were a chef down, they still made me my poached eggs.
Vui Bar is such a nice chilled out bar to go and relax with a nice cocktail or whatever your tipple is and has a great feature in the middle. Again, the staff in there are very nice and accommodating.
To all the critics, yes there is an island that burns trash that you can see depending on which side of the island you're on, but it has no effect to anyone and you cannot smell anything bad and there are no dead fish floating around or trash....the place is very well looked after and very clean.

From AMC

• Stayed June 2013
3 Thank Sunningitup
Bangkok, Krung Thep, Thailand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2013

My rating based on how happy I was with the trip. I was a Centara's guest during 24 - 29 May 2013. This is my first time to this paradise island and to experience the famous water villa.

let's begin with the positive, Centara Ras Fushi was a brand-new hotel. The equipments and facilities was very new. Staffs were extremely nice and friendly. Drink selections was good enough to keep you happy throughout your stay. Italian and Thai restaurant was great also. As a Thai, I recommend you to try the Thai cuisine. The taste and everything is the same as what we have in Thailand.

There are two sides to everything. let's start with what I disappointed most, Activities. The first night we went out for a sunset fishing. We spent two wasted hours in the dark, catching nothing. while one couple(out of five) caught like 3 bigggg fishes. One staff got one as well but he gave it to one of the guest. As a reward for those who had the fish. the hotel offered a cook service. Problem here is the activity developed the feeling of being treated unequally. Why the staff chose to give to one of the guy but not sharing it? If one got the meal after the activity. how about others? I don't mind eating something that doesn't have fish in it.. When we were on the boat, there was no music or drinks to entertain us.. You can simple add these stuffs in and we won't have to sit there, doing nothing for the next 2 hours. Of cause, it would be fun for those who caught the fish but the majority didn't.. And again the other night we were dinning at the Italian restaurant but there was a competition between the GM and the Chef. For those who wanted to be a witness, had to pay $75 extra. The restaurant separated the guest by dressing the table nicely in the restaurant, at the center but for those who wanted the regular dinner had to sit outside in the cold.. let's move to the next issue. Staffs product knowledge, I guess the hotel is so new as well as the staffs. Many questions that I asked, got a very confusing answer.. exp. I had an argument with a staff regarding to my steak wasn't cooked properly, I asked for a medium steak but the waiter said it was already a medium. well.. my dish had blood every where, from what I know, that was a blue rare. I pointed to a cockroach that was running freely like Snow-white singing in the forest to one of the waiter. The answer from him was.. cockroach won't do any harm. Don't your country have it? Some of my requests, have been told to wait and they will contact me back but it never happened.

Don't get me wrong, I still give this hotel 4 out of 5. All these negative things I wrote is only a small part of it. I only hope that the hotel will find my comment useful and help them improve to a better service.

5 Thank Gomass
Sheffield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2013

We stayed for a week over 18-25 May, the trip was to celebrate our Silver Wedding Anniversary and had been my wife's dream and choice of destination for a long time. I tried to convince her the season wasn't right to visit the Maldives, but you cant change the date of your anniversary so we booked, and I am very glad we decided to go to Centara even if we did have the odd rain shower.
There was a lot of negativity surrounding this place prior to its opening, all completely unjustified in our experience.
We arrived breakfast time Saturday and right from the start everything was organised, the meet & greet at the airport, transfer, the check in process, our room was available very early so we could refresh after the long journey, all went very smoothly.
The restaurants and bars were all very nice, lots of choices across of all of them and the staff were very attentive, for drinks we preferred the Viu bar with great views over the ocean and for food our favourite was the Thai restaurant.
We chose one of the deluxe beach villa's with a spa bathtub outdoors, mainly for the extra space, it was very well equipped and finished, looking out onto the beach and just metres from the ocean.
On the last evening as a surprise for us the staff in Suan Bua decorated a table with shells and flowers and we enjoyed a beautiful evening meal looking out over the ocean.
The resort still has to mature in terms of vegetation etc but the payback is most everything else is brand new.
A big thanks to all the staff for making it an exceptional holiday and especially to the staff in the Suan Bua Thai restaurant, you were amazing.

7 Thank Kopstar
Also consider these accommodations in or near Male
Sheraton Maldives Full Moon Resort & Spa
Sheraton Maldives Full Moon Reso...
#1 of 1 in Furanafushi Island
Cinnamon Dhonveli Maldives
Cinnamon Dhonveli Maldives
#1 of 1 in Farukolhufushi Island
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,266 reviews

Been to Centara Ras Fushi Resort & Spa Maldives? Share your experiences!