“Panoramic view of city from the rooftop”
Review of Coral Hotel & Spa

Coral Hotel & Spa
Ranked #19 of 32 Male B&B and Inns
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
“Panoramic view of city from the rooftop”
Reviewed April 14, 2013

We spent one night in this hotel at the end of our resort holiday on one of the South Ari Atoll islands of the Maldives - as we had an early morning flight to catch.

To get to the hotel from the airport, you take a ferry boat ride (USD 1 per passenger - adult or child) to Male - the capital city of the Maldives. Then you take a taxi ride to the hotel costing USD2. The streets of Male are very narrow - so mopeds are widely used and there are hundreds of them parked everywhere.

The reception area of the hotel is calm and relaxing. The staff were very friendly and welcoming. We were given cold face towels to cool ourselves - and a small glass of fruit juice while registration formalities were being completed. We had reserved two deluxe rooms - one for my wife and I - and one for our two children. Payment for the rooms is required upfront. The two rooms cost USD 174 (April 2013) but when the taxes etc were added, the total price increased to USD 240.

The entrance to the accommodation is via a lounge which leads to the two rooms and a kitchen. The rooms have ensuite bathrooms (shower and w.c.) The rooms are adequate in size. They had airconditioners as well as ceiling fans. Both rooms had double sized beds. There was also a minibar. The rooms were bright and clean. Our rooms (numbers 204 qnd 205) overlooked the narrow streets. The beds and pillows were comfortable. The bathrooms were adequate in size too.

The main street is a short walk away through the narrow streets.

Breakfast is included within the prices. Breakfast is served from 6.30am on the roof top from which you get panoramic views of the city. The buffet breakfast consisted of local dishes (lentils, carrots fried in sauce, rice,). There was scrambled eggs, fresh fruits, and croissants and toast, tea and coffee.

I plugged in my mobile phone to charge it - but forgot about it. It was only when I was on board my flight ready to depart, that I realised I had left it behind at the hotel. I used my wifes's phone to speak to the manager Mr Niyaz and asked him to look for it. He later sent a message that he had found the phone and charger. He very kindly arranged to send them by courier service to my home in UK. I offered to pay him for the courier costs - but he politely declined, and said that it was the least he could do. I would like to thank him most sincerely for his kindness. It was much appreciated. Such kind acts of generosity are rare.

Room Tip: Our room was next to a street TV screen which was on until 11pm. Ask for a higher floor room away fr...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Mazmannan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Reviewed February 20, 2013

We stayed at this hotel exactly about one year ago so standards and quality may have improved or deteriorated since.
It was my first visit to Male and my husband's second time. We reached male at night and I still remember the long journey from the ferry stop to the hotel. It cost us quite an amount for the ride too. I can't recall the exact location on the map, but I felt like the hotel is situated on the farthest side from the Male city area.
Upon arrival,we were greeted with fresh clean towels and tasty iced tea which made a really good first impression, but the staff was just a young bunch of almost kids who were wearing casual attire so it was hard to distinguish them from others too.
We saw the nice photos on agoda etc and had some high hopes. Unfortunately we were pretty disappointed with the whole place. The rooms we booked early didn't have attached bathrooms which they conveniently forgot to mention. After much hassle and agreeing to pay extra,we were given a deluxe room, which they said was 'the best/largest room' in the hotel. The room was spacious with a large bed, AC working fine. However we noticed the bed sheets/ linen were used and not washed also. The bathroom was ok, just very average.
What really put us off was a cockroach we found in the morning in our very room!!!! we were really disgusted and wanted the leave asap. They don't have room service too,just a couple of guys who do anything and everything. The floor though visibly clean was very dusty too.Our daughter was running around the place with socks and we had to throw them out after use because it was that dirty.
The breakfast was ok, very average though. They gave us fruit juice right from a carton. After the cockroach scenario we were doubtful of the cleanliness of the kitchen too. The rooftop restaurant has a nice view and very relaxing.
The next day we found very good accommodation at almost the same price right in the heart of the male city with walking distance to the jetty too.
Coral hotel was in a secluded corner and we notice some unsafe people hanging around so I don't think its safe to travel alone too.
If you really don't have any other option, then this place is just OK. The photos of the net are pretty deceiving though. The front desk staff tried to charge different prices for the same room so communicate wisely! they didn't accept credit cards too at the time. The location is highly inconvenient and can be costly to travel for work/shopping etc.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Weli

Travelers are raving about these Male hotels