“Nice but expensive”

and 1 more site!
Sala Boutique Hotel
Ranked #3 of 34 Male B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 22, 2013

Friendly staff- especially indonesian people at the reception
In the restaurant next to reception they serve very delicious ice cream
Room rate is very high otherwise its very good place to stay
Have foot rub treatment in the hotel & thai restaurant
Breakfast is average,

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Sala Boutique Hotel

Reviewed March 21, 2013

Stayed in March 2013 with wife and my 18month old son. The Rooms are huge, considering that male is a tiny city itself.
Thomas is brilliant at what he does. The response from him was immediate as soon as we booked the hotel . And he gave us all the information we needed ! And yes the Thai food there is AMAZING. Wish we had time to also try the italian restaurant.
The room + washrooms are very clean antique. The room ambiance is amazing though i wish there were some more lights in the room since its a bit too dark.
Overall if you want something under $200 in male , this should be the place. Infact I wonder that in a tiny city like male , you could get any room better then this !

Room Tip: We stayed in Bangkok room !
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Adnan Z
Reviewed February 18, 2013

Turn in through the gates into the courtyard and the dusty, noisy chaos of Male is left behind. Impeciible service and lots of little touches that make Sala a delightful place to stay. Our room was small but very tastefully furnished with a very nice bathroom. Comfy bed and good air conditioning.
Don't miss this lovley little hotel if you need to stop over in Male - the choice is limited and this is good value for money. Nothing is cheap in Maldives. Eat at the hotel's restaurant - it is fantastic.

Room Tip: Our room did not have a window to the outside (no outlook) we didn't find this an issue for the...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank VeryFussyChick
Reviewed February 18, 2013

Sala boutique hotel is a lovely place in Male, Maldives. The owner Thomas was very welcoming and helpful. The staff were friendly and nice. The Thai food was very good and the service was great. It was the perfect place to stay before our island getaway. The one and only complaint is that the room was quite small. All in all a pleasant stay.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Att2012
Reviewed February 10, 2013

After what seemed like days of non-stop travel and early mornings arriving at Sala Boutique Hotel was like entering a cool and peaceful escape from the heat, humidity and bustle on the street. Once I stepped inside the courtyard it was like entering another world.

The food was exceptional - as good if not better than any I've eaten in Thailand, the staff gentle, kind and respectful, the air con excellent, and the bed comfy. But it was all the little details and the ambience that made this a great place to rest and recover before embarking on my next adventure.

Thomas too is a real sweetheart - his love for his family and the beautiful sanctuary he has created here is clearly evident. I was so peaceful here I didn't actually leave the hotel.

Oh and the call to prayer - which is the first thing you hear in the morning darkness, is one of the most beautiful I have heard anywhere.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank AussieLu
Reviewed February 8, 2013

short words........... mr thomas you a star excellent service excellent rooms would recommend this beautiful hotels to many friends and family KEEP IT UP... THOMAS is an excellent host from the start of our stay till our depature thank you

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed January 10, 2013

I stayed here for 1 night. the hotel itself is not bad, however my room was very small and in my opinion overcharged. there were 2 main things of concern when i was there: there was some construction going on (noisy) but the real problem was the owner. He shouted at his employees and talked to them very rudely everytime I could overhear a conversation. I think he didn't know that I was in my room and could actually hear what was being said. Another issue, when I arrived, the owner took a phone call in front of me and gave a room away to less then half the price to what I paid. I feel ripped off!! I would not stay here again or recommend this place. There are better hotels for the same price all around Male

Room Tip: The room Koh Samui is very small
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
ThomasSalaFamily, Owner at Sala Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 12, 2013

Dear Judith,

Thank you for your comments, noted, as a matter of fairness let me also give my comment; we all have our "days" where things just don't move the way they were supposed to be, especially when you hire a third party company to fix a more than urgent matter such as the repair of our rain catcher that was flooding our open area. The company promised to first of all work clean - this was the lobby part in front of rooms and secondly to finish within 3 hours to avoid complications for the check ins that were on hand at this day. Its the rainy season and it was heavily raining those days.

As already said this day wasn't as expected, the progress of the work was delayed to an extend I was afraid we had to live with the risk of getting flooded and secondly the company was spreading dirt all over the place giving the area a touch of construction site, completely out of place in a hotel operation. You may think this was respect-less? A third party that has such work behavior shows no respect to those who pay them and have agreed to their services! My reaction might have been a bit rough, maybe, but, having a 7 days week since years 16 to 18 hours a day leaves sometimes little room for patience if it comes to such issues that needs to be resolved in the interest of our guests that expect to have a clean and safe environment.

Regarding the reservation call you seem to have overheard while passing by the reception, we do give last minute rooms to work permit holders here in the Maldives as a gesture to colleagues here in this country regardless of nationality or race including local people; should this offend you I am truly sorry but similar practices are common in all hospitality related areas such as in the airline industry.; its a recognition of the trade we are in.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Male
Hotel Jen Male
Kurumba Maldives
Kurumba Maldives
#1 of 1 in Vihamanafushi
Centara Ras Fushi Resort & Spa Maldives

Been to Sala Boutique Hotel? Share your experiences!