Sala Boutique Hotel
$89
$87
Hotwire.com
  • Breakfast included
Surf View Raalhugandu(Male)(Great Value!)
$72
$315
$175
Travelocity
  • Pool
The Melrose Hotel(Male)(Great Value!)
  • Restaurant
All reviewsthai foodmale citypickup and deliveryfour posterhighly recommend this to anyoneeggs cooked to orderindian managerbreakfast was deliciousnights stayinghotel staff membernext morningchicken tacosroom priceoperations managerthe entire staffdive boatlocal ferry
Reviewed March 16, 2012

Background:

My wife and I traveled to the Maldives on a dream trip with the plan to spend 9 nights at a resort followed by a few days in Male before heading back to reality (my wife leaving 2 days earlier than me to start a business trip). With so many resorts to choose from, we made our selection and started to look for a reasonably priced hotel in Male to stay for the second part of our adventure (not an easy task). Stumbling onto the Sala boutique hotel on booking.com and reading the reviews on Trip Advisor, I figured why not.

The experience:

Shortly after booking with booking.com, I was surprised to receive an email from the owner of the hotel (Thomas) confirming my booking and offering any assistance I may require. After inquiring about our flight itineraries in order to arrange an airport transfer, I explained to Thomas that we were starting our vacation on a resort, he quickly informed me that he would contact the resort directly to ensure that all required transfers would be arranged. The communication back and forth was clear and quick, I immediately had the sensation that we would be well taken care of.

Fast forward now to day 8 of our 9 day resort stay, as promised Thomas takes the liberty to contact our resort and arrange to meet us at the jetty (dock) in Male. We were immediately greeted by a smiling Thomas and an employee to assist us in transporting our bags. Thomas checked us in and gave us a tour of the place we would call home for a few days. Thomas toured us through the two restaurants on site and explained the freshness philosophy of having the ingredients brought in and fresh preparation of all meals.
We settled into our impeccable room and relaxed before heading downstairs for dinner, deciding on Thai for our first night (we alternated between the Thai and Italian which were both fantastic). The food quality and level of service was top notch, quite evident to both of us that Thomas and his staff took a great deal of pride in the service, quality and décor of this hidden gem of a hotel.
The room was comfortable, clean, and the attention to detail was evident (organic soap and high quality products all around), this coupled with high quality bedding and bed provided us with an amazing night sleep.
The following morning we woke to a wonderful breakfast served fresh and quick. As the night before, Thomas passed by our table to make sure all was good...a little touch we appreciated, one that continued with every meal we had (breakfast and dinner for 3 days). We were then provided with a quick brief of the island and how to get around and we headed out map in hand.
Upon our return, we were again greeted with a smile and a handshake. And after dinner my wife got ready to leave for the airport. Thomas arranged an employee to accompany us to the airport and to return with me. My wife ran into problems with the airline and was bumped off the flight, she called the hotel and Thomas assisted her with solutions for rebooking and liaised with the airline on our behalf. The following day, Thomas made perfect recommendations for us to spend the day together as my wife was delayed until the following night, and again made sure that she made it to the airport with assistance of a staff member. Thomas and his staff continued to provide great service for the remainder of my stay.

All in all, the level of service was very high and I have nothing bad to say about the entire stay...in fact I think that many resorts could learn from this hotel owner.

Thank you Thomas for making the final days of our dream holiday even better.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Mike R
Reviewed February 13, 2012

We had a tough time finding a hotel in Male - they all seemed very basic or very expensive. Luckily we came across Sala which was perfectly placed in the middle! This was a transfer stay for one night at the end of our holiday. The staff showed extraordinary service and iniative by tracking us down in our other hotel and having someone waiting at airport to transfer us to sala hotel. Great rooms, big comfy bed and satellite tv. Two restaurants - italian and thai, we tried the italian and food was ok but nothing special. Easy to walk into town and have a little explore. If you have to stay in male, this is the place!

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Lighter023
Reviewed February 2, 2012

This is a real gem place in Male (which is not a particularly interesting and impressive city). The quality of hotel and especially the food in restaurant is top while the price is very fair. Thomas - the owner of the place, is of European (German) origin, who has lived and worked in the Asia-Pacific region for quite a long time. He is highly professional and pleasant person to communicate with. He knows his business very well and provides an excellent service with attention to details.

Room Tip: Do booking directly with the hotel - the price is the same (or even cheaper) than with the web consolidators, while communications are going directly to the owner, so you have better opportunity to discuss and arrange your stay. Do NOT miss a dinner at the hotel restaurant - Thai/Indonesian food there is just outstanding.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SergeDem
Reviewed January 30, 2012

We stayed here for one night on our way to our resort in the Maldives, arriving into Male around 10pm. As others mentioned, we were totally blown away by the coordination of our travel. We were met by a hotel representative at the airport, who got us to the ferry to Male, then in a cab to the hotel, all of which he paid for.
The hotel is a little oasis in the middle of Male, and Thomas, the owner, is an extremely nice and welcoming man. He was expecting us, met us when we arrived, and showed us to our room. We stayed in the standard room, and it was very adequate. I would recommend spending the extra $20 for the larger room, which we learned was almost double the size of the standard one (this was not evident to us from the photos on the website). The biggest negative to the room was that there was no natural light, but since we were barely there it was not a big deal and the room was otherwise great - clean, TV with many stations, nice amenities.
Included in our rate was breakfast, and we were served a lot of food - the homemade bread was excellent.
Our resort had called the hotel the day before, and Thomas made sure we had a cab and were at the boat dock on time. Again, the travel arrangement coordination was above and beyond, and took so much stress out of this leg of the trip.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank ShelBel123
Reviewed January 21, 2012

its a neat and v clean place to stay for one night only, in male city, providing every thing organic like soaps,shampoos..... but room was so small without any window for fresh air......which made me sufocated, owner was nice man with great professional and public relation values........but after checking out they told us to provide air port drop facility which they didnt give us and it caused a great mess on this issue.so my experience was just ok not v good.

Room Tip: airy rooms are better to sleep well
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple