“Waste of time and money”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of DACE

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Male
DACE
Ranked #14 of 30 Male B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Waste of time and money”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2013

Male is not a pleasant experience to start with. Absolutely boring city. We had to kill one night, so following TripAdvisor reviews, we've chosen to stay at DACE. What a waste of time and money! First, it took 40 minutes of waiting outside the entrance door just to come inside. The manager was praying in a nearby mosque as it turned out later. Second, the room was really small with dirty bed linen. Warm water is available from 6am till 8am, and then from 6pm till 8pm only. Third, the Wi-Fi was so bad that it took hours just to login (we tried 4 different devices!) and ages to send a simple email. Meanwhile the guy at the reception was claiming that Internet is working just fine. He was a totally hopeless guy who even used a calculator to subtract 158 from 160 upon check-in... can you imagine???

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Tamaraukr

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Pune, India
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2013

I was in Male for a Scuba diving course and spent three nights at Dace. For me this hotel turned out to be a good option as all I wanted, was a clean bed to sleep after a tiring day in water, I spent all my days outside and no meals were consumed in the hotel.
This hotel can be an excellent choice for a few or an absolute opposite for others. It all depends on what you are looking for. For the benefit of fellow travelers, following are the detailed pros and cons based on my experience:
Pros:

1.Clean and cozy- Bed , room and bath room , everything was very neat and clean

2.Extra friendly staff- These guys were really caring. Respond to phone calls in no time and cater to the requests as soon as they can. This one time we were about to step out in rain and the bell boy came running with an umbrella!

3.Location- It is actually very difficult to find, even the people working on the same lane are not aware about its presence but once you reach there, this is place is pretty convenient for everything you may need. Eating joints, ferry terminal, general stores and cab stops are all close by. It will be better if you can go through the map before arrival or ask for Beehive Nalahiya hotel on arrival in Male. Beehive Nalahiya is a well-known land mark in Male and Dace is just next to it.

4.Local SIM – This was a surprise. We were given a free SIM card with a cheap Nokia phone to use for the duration of our stay. You just need to recharge the SIM with appropriate amount to use.

5.Room accessories- Flat TV with not many English channels but many Indian channels were available, very basic toilelories , good air conditioning and cozy décor. A big complimentry bottle of water came everyday.

6.Adapters – Unlike most countries, we found electric adapters in all hotels to make your mobile chargers etc. compatible with their system. So no need to buy one at the airport.

Cons-

1.Language- All the staff members and the receptionist are not very fluent in English. It takes time to convey a message and understand what they are saying. It is functional but not comfortable.

2.No communication between the managers and the people who operate- I had received an email confirmation to my request of cash payments for the settlement of bills, even then my credit card was charged before I reached the hotel. I was also promised a kettle in the room in the email; the same was missing when I arrived.

3.I had booked my room using booking.com, it was clearly mentioned there that the credit card is only for security purpose and the same will not be charged. However, my entire booking amount was deducted from my credit card before my checking in the hotel. The staff apologies but no action could be taken to revert the process. It’s strange but this is a norm in most hotels in Maldives.

4.Not for claustrophobic- rooms, pathway, stairs everything is too small. There is no window or view in the rooms. No fire exit or emergency way to get out in case of disaster. Male itself is world’s tiniest capital city and the hotels and their rooms are relatively small.

5. No dining option- Only breakfast is available in the Hotel, that too if you inform in advance. Room service is catered from near by eating joints.

Hope this helps. Happy travelling

Room Tip: Lower the floor the better it will be to vacate in case of emergency.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank supernova85
Lausanne, Switzerland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2013

Booked this hotel from Agoda and attracted by its photos, it situated in a far location, difficult to find and they don't really have a lobby. Room is very very small, the type that you can't even place a luggage and turn. We requested for a higher catergory room later on, it is a bit bigger, but the neighbor just few feet in front of us and we can easily say HELLO and check what the maldivian local doing at home, vice versa!
We paid around 95USD for this, I would say it worth only 50USD.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Quak M

Travelers are raving about these Male hotels

Manama, Bahrain
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2013

I had Very short time to short notice and went online on booking.com to book a hotel which has a fitness centre and I found dace. Seriously pictures are really deceiving. Maybe those pictures were taken 5 or 6 years ago and there wasnt any fitness centre!!

This is not a hotel in the sense of a hotel but rather 4 to 5 stories building, each floor has a number of rooms like 3 or so. Towels were like they have been used for years without replacement. TV was not working due to card to be inserted, complained nothing was done. Hot water is only available 6-8 in morning and 6-8 in evening. Why :s

On the plus side, they offered ironing of my clothes with 30 minutes and breakfast can be served anytime. Staff are friendly too.

There is no way I will return to this hotel, totally deceptive

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Hussain J
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2013

We loved the Dace Hotel. The Owners are very loveley and the Staff was very friendly. They pic us up from the ferry and next day they help us with our journey to the airport. It´s a very nice Romantic Boutiquehotel in a good location. We also owners of a boutique hotel so we can highly recommend it! Thank you very much for the nice time and your helpful Hands, after our Maldives Vacation. Martina & Lars (after Robinson Club 2011, sorry for the late review)

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Paris, France
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2013

The superdeluxe room is nice and well appointed (strangely no hot water though, except for 2 hours in the morning and 2 hours in the evening, and for a 100 usd per night it should not be a problem to have a hot shower when you want, I would think). The location is not that hard to find. But we didn't like the manager at all, he was not cooperative and always seemed to be waiting for some mean trick from his guests, and the check in (booked with booking.com) took more than 30 mins. The check out would have taken the same time without some vigilance from our side - he wanted us to go down to check out at 7.45, 45 mins before somebody would come to pick us up (by making up the time of the pick up from our resort on the island and pretending they come earlier, fortunately we stayed in contact with them ourselves)! The other staff was nice. Conclusion: change the manager, make it cheaper or provide 24 hours hot water and toiletries, and then you will become able to meet the competition.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2013

i am working at maldives . I sometimes go male ... This hotel is worst ever... ROOM is perfect... BT only room.

Taxi driver doesnt knw. Maldivian also doesnt know where is the location. This is one is near Beehive.
I booked 4 days ago. Bt they asked more money unlikely when i booked it. N also i want to ask amended nyts of stay bt they asked me pay whole. N cancellation policy 7 days ago notice ????? I never heard..... N i booked 4 days ago. I will ask my friend nt to go..

Rather choose Beehive or convenient place of hotel.... Incovinient.
I moved it from dace i stayed only one nyt .I didnt want to stay more.. Here hot water 6-8 am or pm only... n no soap . Shamp at all...
The other time Hotwater asked 20m earlier... before taking shower.... So if i want to take shower just shower with cold water... Wht the... Very noisy.....even i can here next door tallking. For one nyt or only sleep its okay. Bt the other. Think again.... ALSO staff doent understand English!!!!!!

• Stayed March 2013