“a very nice place to eat”

Sala Thai Restaurant
Ranked #2 of 149 Restaurants in Male
Cuisines: Thai
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed November 23, 2013

One of our group had eaten here before and recommended it. We were not disappointed. A nice quiet restaurant.

The atmosphere was nice and the service was pleasant.

They could have turned up the air conditioning a bit, however.

They had a very extensive menu. This is not your suburban mall Thai food, though, it is HOT and spicy.

Cokes are expensive at $5 US, but you need one after the first bite.

I would dine here again if I find myself in Male again

Reviewed November 23, 2013

We are staying in the Sala Boutique hotel tonight and had love Thai food so this was a no brainer to try the Sala Thai restaurant - inside the hotel. I read many of the available reviews so I had high expectations. WOW! We had a wonderful meal! We are from the US and believe we have tried a few, very few, Thai place stat are great. Now I have no idea where I will eat Thai again when we return home. Tom Ka Gai - my most favorite soup - had so many more amazing flavors than we are used to tasting. We ordered the soup for 2 and could not even come close to finishing it.

My favorite dish was Morning Glory with Prawns. The vegetable looks like a green onion, but has a flavor I am not sure I have ever had before. The depth of flavors in the meal was something we have not found in any US Thai restaurant.

Finally - try the Icy Ginger Tea (only if you love Ginger). My wife had the Icy Lemon Tea and loved hers as all - but the Ginger Tea was better!!

I have seen a few reviews about the price. It is true, the price is higher where we stopped for lunch and it may be high for this area. However, we felt the quality, presentation, atmosphere, and flavor of our meal was in line with our expectations of the price and I can say I would have paid more in the US for the same meal - if I could even find it.

Reviewed November 17, 2013

Food is really good here. Best in Male I say but it comes with a price of course :)

The ambiance is good for couples. If you want to be loud with your friends, you know when you want to eat and laugh, not really the place cause you don't want to be disturbed by loud people when you are trying to enjoy your food and your company right.

1  Thank CherryTraveling
Reviewed November 13, 2013

My son and I just had lunch here. We travel a great deal and found the flavours a bit bland. I had mussamun curry and my son pad Thai. Both dishes were ok but nothing special. At $15 each the price was not too bad but the drinks were ridiculous US$6 for a small bottle of water, the same for a cup of tea and a coke. Total bill including small rice $53. Definitely not worth it ! We have eaten in quite a few restaurants in the Maldives and found far better food for a reasonable price. I enquired about wifi and was told only for hotel guests !
Can't understand why the reviews here are so good. We went out of our way to eat there and were very disappointed. Usually trip advisor reviews are spot on !

1  Thank Chris C
Reviewed October 7, 2013

This restaurant used to be my No. 1 restaurant in Male'. However, my recent visit surprised me with the quality and the price of the food. By the time I visited, there were hardly anyone in the restaurant. The food that I have ordered, I have tried couple of times, and were my favorites. To my disappointment i found the quality of the food was not so great as it used to be. Also I ended up paying more than I used to pay.

Usually I find this place is busy during lunch time or dinner time, and I was wondering if it's the price that they are losing customers.

1  Thank stevemanjuuk
ThomasSalaFamily, Owner at Sala Thai Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2013

Dear Steven,
Thank you for your comments; the last time you had dined with us was in our old location at Ameer Ahmed Magu, a beautiful but very tiny place - 6 x 6 meters with 38 seats in a maximum capacity; now being here at Buruneege, an old mansion going back 120 years, an Annex to the Sultans' palace with a total of 6,000 square feet broken down various areas. We have not lost a single customer after moving to here, however, the same amount of people in our new location still looks as if not busy while in the old location you could hardly take a breath!

We have adjusted our pricing after moving here as we hadn't changed prices at this point for the past 4 years! One should not forget about the fact that the fuel surcharge on the air lift and the weak Thai Baht was hurting our food cost dramatically, there was no way we could handle this any longer without facing the question wether to stick to the old pricing and compromise in quality or adjust.

Our chefs are still the same as 6 years ago meanwhile and you can read from all those many comments we receive that we have not lost our quality level, as every where in the world, the good stuff is a bit more expensive but in the end worth while.