“Truely Thai Taste”

Sala Thai Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 137 Restaurants in Male
Cuisines: Asian, Thai
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Brunch, Dinner, Free Wifi, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Male
“Truely Thai Taste”
Reviewed August 22, 2011

I have recently visited Sala Thai twice, why twice? Because I wanted to be sure. The food is fantastic. I have lived in Thailand for the last 10 yrs and my wife is Thai, trust me when I tell you she knows good Thai food.
The taste is fabulous, the service good if not a little over powering. The prices are a little high compared to other restaurants but that has to be expected when all the ingredients are shipped in from Thailand.
The owner came to say hello and even has the confidence to take us unannounced into the Kitchen to meet the Thai staff. The new location can be difficlut to find but the Taxi drivers can find it.

• Visited August 2011

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Merville-Franceville-Plage, France
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best of the Best Thai Restaurant in Male,Maldives”
Reviewed August 11, 2011

Our flight was delayed for 3 hours,so we decided to go to Male,the capital city of maldives.We have seen the advetorial of Sala Thai Restaurant in one of tourist guide magazine and the restaurant look nice and I hope as nice as the food.Also many people & staff in the resort talking about this restaurant,and we really curious about it.
after 10 minutes on the dhoni ( maldivian boat) and walking around 5 minutes from the Boat area,we arrived to Sala Thai restaurant,what a pity they are closed and there is no sign at all why they are close,after asking 3 people we found out they already move to the new building,it wasn't far at all.it just 5 minutes walking from the old one,my wife so happy because finally we found SalaThai. The new building is so unique,and they german owner said its more than 100 years old Maldivian mansion, also they have very nice cozy hotel,which I will stay overnight in this hotel next time before our departure to the resort.
Sala Thai food is Glorious delicious !! We have been to many Thai food resto but never found something like this ! its really authentic thai food and the service is excellent ! all the staff are friendly and their hospitality was superb !!
after had big lunch for $61 which worth it, the owner promote their FootRub, we still have plenty of time and its good to have relaxation before our long journey back to France.
We have 1 hour back,neck shoulder & reflexiology for $40 and feel so good,very relaxing and feel brand new.again... the price is really worth it compare Resort price for this treatment,their therapist are very expert and to be honest,we would like to come back again,next year! we love this place,the food is to die for ! and their foot rub is the best!!! Must visit this place and higky recomended !!

• Visited July 2011
1 Thank MervilleTraveller
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Overpriced mediocre food”
Reviewed February 27, 2011

It's now five in the morning and I'm lying awake with what feels like could be a very bad stomach courtesy of Sala Thai.

I went with a friend last night. He had a dried plum and apple smoothie which was ok and I had Thai milk tea which was again, just ok. Tom Yum soup for starters for us both and despite being incredibly spicy it tasted good. The friend who went with me is Maldivian and the soup even had him coughing and spluttering and blowing his nose.

My friend ordered a stir fried dish for mains with sticky rice, neither of which he was keen on. I was surprised when it arrived as it looked a lot like the Tom yum soup we'd just had except the liquid was a bit thicker. I don't claim to know Thai food very well though so maybe this is the norm for Thai stir fries.

I ordered pad thai. I've eaten this dish in this restaurant before and enjoyed it so I was very puzzled and disappointed with my dish last night as it was simply awful. It wasn't spiced correctly, it was too sweet and it seemed to be full of unidentifiable mystery bits and pieces which didn't 'feel right' when I was eating them.

The bill was $63. This might seem reasonable enough but don't forget this is Male'. Just round the corner there is a lovely restaurant where I had a delicious pumpkin curry and a drink for $8. $63 is absolutely extortionate by Male' standards and I don't mind paying a high price for good food but this simply wasn't. And now it looks as if it's going to make me ill too.

The service is normally extremely charming pleasant although last night we were served by the American owner who lacks the friendliness of his staff.

There are so many great little restaurants in Male where u can have such good food for extremely reasonable prices. And these are nice restaurants too with good service and upscale specs on decor and menus. Try them. Give Sala Thai a miss. Your stomach and wallet will thank me.

• Visited February 2011
4 Thank Brightonboy69
GreyColombo, Owner at Sala Thai Restaurant, responded to this review, March 1, 2011
This is the first time within 4 years of operation of Sala Thai that we have received such a negative response despite the fact that the guest was treated with respect and friendliness as any other guest at this evening or at any other time; also the quality of the food provided was consistent with our standards, all other guests on that particular evening were very satisfied and happy (as all the people who review us prior to this review); we really don't understand what triggered these negative comments. I would love to discuss this matter in person or invite the gentleman to personally write to me - ts_thomas.stahl@yahoo.com - Please feel free to do so!
Thomas
Owner
Vancouver, Canada
“Best restaurant in Male”
Reviewed January 16, 2011

We came to this restaurant on recommendation of our friends, who live in Male. This place was definitely a winner!!

The inside is cute and cozy, with a no shoes upstairs rule. The downstairs has the typical table and chair setup, while upstairs, there are comfy cushions with back rests to sit on while you eat. The cushions were so comfortable I almost fell asleep sitting on them! As someone else mentioned, the air conditioning is a little cold, but when coming in from the hot, Maldives air, it's a welcome cold.

The food is some of the most delicious Thai food I have had (and I have Thai friends, so I've heard them critique Thai food before). Everything is beautifully laid out, and compared to the Maldivian resorts, the prices were quite reasonable. Comparable to a mid to high end Thai restaurant in Canada or the US. We tried the Yum Woon Sen, the green curry, pad thai, and mango sticky rice. They were all delicious, and I've been dreaming about those peppers still in their pods on the vine for a long time now. (Hard to find that in Canada!)

The wait staff were all very courteous and helpful with their recommendations, and the owner, Thomas, is a very interesting man. He's lived and travelled all around the world, so ask him about it!

The drinks were also wonderful but a bit on the pricey side, especially for non-alcoholic beverages.

The only downside was that the food was a little slow to come out, despite the restaurant not being too full (we went a little later in the night after evening prayers.) The quality definitely made up for it, though, and we are looking to go back to Male just for the food!

• Visited November 2010
3 Thank Daphh_Huang
Bogota
“WHAT A TASTE”
Reviewed May 27, 2010

Male is a place where you can never imagine what you can find around the corner. On my way back from Meeru, I had a stopover in Male waiting for my departing plane and found a little cozy place callaed Sala Thai. His owner and the chef were there to guide you thru the experience. I am not a good Thai food eater as I dont like too hot food nevertheless they reached my need easily and made me enjoy their cuisne and their space. Thanks Thomas

1 Thank ElGordoJoe