“Places to visit from Kuala Lumpur” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Kuala Lumpur

Sponsored by:
Map
Satellite
Map updates are paused. Zoom in to see updated info.
Reset zoom
Updating Map...
Sponsored by:
England
70 helpful votes
“Places to visit from Kuala Lumpur”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2010

Go to the Tourist Office (near the Renaissance Hotel) and pick up a tour leaflet. These tours are the cheapest you will find and they are reliable
Elephant Sanctuary. A long journey through the countryside but where you will pass through the highlands, rubber and palm plantations and even hoards on monkeys crossing the road. Don't be put off when you stop for lunch(included). It looks like a shack but you will have a great meal ofcoconut rice, roast duck, pork and chicken. You could go to KFC otherwise.
Malacca is interesting. The large lunch(included) is is a very clean Chinese restaurant . You have time to look around the town which is fascinating.
Klang. We went by train from "Sentral Station" trains are about every half an hour and it takes an hour to get there. The cost was about 7 ringgits(£1.20) return. When you get out of the station turn right as far as the raised road(about 300 yds) and then turn left.The area ahead is called "Little India" do look at the shops with the beautiful Saris. Just at the bottom of the raised road on your left and opposite a very posh sari shop is a lovely Indian Restaurant with green and white decor and air conditioning. We didn't know what to have and the waiter selected the food for usu. We asked that it was not too hot in flavour. Excellent meal for only about £5 We shall always remember that!

1 Thank Tripper100England
Perth
15 helpful votes
“Getting around Kuala Lumpur”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2010

My husband and I recently returned from a lightening visit to KL for our friends 50th Birthday, and after receiving quite a few travel hints on Trip Advisor, I thought it was appropriate that I offer my advice and experiences to any other travellers, as everything went by expert precision.

We arrived into LCCT terminal off an Air Asia flight around midday on Thursday, and I must say that even our Air Asia flight and their service was excellent.

Customs at LCCT was a piece of cake, straight out into the terminal arrivals hall, and went immediately to the "taxi voucher" stand, which if you miss you'd have to be absolutely blind. The only downfall I guess from our whole visit was we ordered and paid for a "premium" taxi from the airport to our hotel and ended up with a really old run down van with no aircon. I guess it was just bad luck of the draw, as you stand in a queue for the next car to arrive, and it just so happened it wasn't as we expected. In any case, we arrived after approximately 1 hour straight to our hotel door with no hassles.

We stayed at the Traders Hotel. What an absolute delight, the staff couldn't be more helpful and the facilities and room were out of this world. If you're visiting, go up to the Sky Lounge Bar which has the most amazing view of the Petronas Twin Towers. The location of the Traders is between KLCC and Pavillion, about 5-8 minutes walk to each.

For anybody visiting, make sure you pick up a map from your hotel - they are readily available and it makes moving around town very simple. Pavillion is a beautiful shopping mall with restaurants and all the designer shops you could dream of. Under the Pavillion is the most amazing food hall, where the food is of very good quality and extremely cheap. You need at least a day if not more to look around here.

From Pavillion we moved down the main road, Jalan Bukit into all the local shopping centres, KL Plaza, Bukit Bintang Plaza, Sungei Wang etc. They are all great as they all have department stores and small shops/stalls which sell great quality goods. We didn't really have enough time to explore, so stayed mainly Sungei Wang, which had everything in it that I wanted and was so cheap. Even though they are classified as shops, some such as the luggage/handbag stores you can still bargain for your price.

Thursday night we took the local train to China Town. The train station close to Traders Hotel was under the Petronas Twin Towers at KLCC - what a location. These towers are something to be seen, they are just fantastic and you could stand or sit and look at them forever. There's such a beautiful park here with the most amazing water feature, all of which have left a lasting impression with us.

The train to China Town was very easy - all with automatic ticket machines which were extremely easy to negotiate. Trains seem to run every 10-15 minutes and in 4 stops and about 10 minutes later were at China Town.

Now I read quite a few advice pages on China Town and now I've been there and experienced it, I don't agree with most of what I read. We're long term visitors to Bali every year and China Town in the way of street sellers were nothing compared to the hassle you get in Bali. Every stall we looked in, the stall holders were extremely pleasant and never once hassled us for a purchase. If I said I was looking they were fine for me to look, if I wanted to buy, the negotiation started and we went on from there. They were happy to go back and forth with price and then ultimately settling on a price. Very easy and very pleasant with no intimidation at all. From my experience, I started at a quarter of their first price and generally paid about half or a little less.

We also had one of the best meals in one of the little stalls right in Pataling Street. Thai Chicken, which seemed strange as we were in Malaysia, but it was recommended, steamed vegetables, rice and two beers. Fantastic and for about AUS $10 for the two of us.

Next day we took another taxi to Surbang Skypark Airport as we were flying to Pangkor Island for 3 days - what a fabulous location - nothing much to do except sit on your deck chair, go on nature walks and swim, but the island itself and the people were all so charming, again some great local restaurants.

I wasn't able to find much information on Surbang Skypark Airport apart from their website which was pretty basic, but its the very old International terminal and has all the facilities you need, such as luggage storage, restaurants, shops etc. Taxi facilities are as easy as anywhere with a Taxi counter right in the middle of the terminal to purchase your taxi voucher, and people outside to co-ordinate those taxi's for you.

On the way home we had another 1/2 day of shopping. As we had no accommodation, we actually went back to Traders and they stored our bags for the day which was extremely nice of them and absolutely no trouble at all. So another 1/2 day shopping, eating, drinking and lots of walking our holiday was over, taxi from Traders back to LCCT airport and so it was the end of our holiday, but we'll be back.....

3 Thank ShellyA
Limerick, Ireland
4 helpful votes
“Kuala Lumpur, Jewel of South East Asia”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2010

I'm migrating this over from IgoUgo, as I don't use it any more and find Trip Advisor pretty much the best site for advice.

In the city, go to Bukit Bintang and visit the huge department stores and markets there - I bought a Sony Camcorder for 400 euros last year that was worth 800 here.

The Jungle to the north is fabulous, there is a wonderful Japanese Garden at 3500 feet above sea level. Many multitudes of plants, animals and culture. There is also a Japanese Tea House there - nice tea.

Quick Tips:
Go see the Batu caves! (Any taxi will know) A very good place to stay is Sucasa Appartments - they're relatively cheap, great appartments and are across the road from a very well stocked supermarket. You can also see the Petronas Towers from the south side windows on Jalan Ampang.
Best Way To Get Around:
Taxis are cheap, the Ringit (local currency) has a low exchange rate and try to get the red and white "teksi" cabs. The others, will attempt to charge higher rates. Renting cars are also cheap, BUT watch out driving!!! Driving there is dangerous - there are a huge amount of mopeds around and most of them dont beleive in driving on any particular side of the road....

Also, keep in mind the traffic - it gets horrendous in and around Jalan Tun Razak and Jalan Ampang between 5 and 7 in the evenings and 7 and 9 in the mornings.

Singapore
16 helpful votes
“Kuala Lumpur, almost my second home....”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2009

ve been to Kuala Lumpur countless of times in the last 5 years and every time i came back satisfied and eager to make my next trip there again. Now, i make it a must to visit KL atleast once every year. Express bus ride takes about 6 hours into KL and many coaches sent you direct to your hotel lobby avoiding the busy puduraya bus terminal. Travelling in KL is cheaper and easier by the LRT system that connect almost all part of KL and its subburbs. It is also a good way to avoid the bad traffic in KL.

KL have emerged to be a bustling metropoitan city like other capitals in the world. Being in KL, makes me feel at home as it is almost similar to Singapore minus the high rise HDB flats. However, one things i like about KL is that, being a muslim, you can eat relatively almost everything in the city. Almost every road side stalls, stands and foodcourt can be enjoy by a muslim. One best foodcourt in KL have to be the basement foodcourt of Pavillion in Bukit Bintang. Its a huge foodcourt that have food items from asian to western to international cuisine. A must try stall is where an old chinese man in straw hat cook up these fantastic fried kway teow with cockles, hokkien prawn noodles and oyster egg omelette. Staying in bukit bintang area, i visited the foodcourt almost every night for dinner. If you like malay local kampung mixed rice, head down to the foodcourt at berjaya time square. Although most stalls are either closed or vacant, there are a few stalls that served a vast variety of kampung malay dishes. The variety is so huge that you cannot decide where to start. I also like the concept of self service at the stall as the helper will only serve rice to you. You decide how much gravy or serving you want and pay at the cashier once you are done. Nasi Kandar Pelita is also a must go place for indian rice with fish head curry.

I tried to avoid Petaling street or chinatown to do my shopping as the atmosphere and people there makes me uncomfortable. You can see local chinese or people from sabah and sarawak being very pushy on their sale. I would prefer the saturday market at masjid india. Its is quite a big area selling malay traditional clothes, scarfs, cloths, houshold items, religious books and jewelleries. The back alley of Jalan Tuanku Abdul Rahman is pack only on saturay with stalls selling cheap items. Shopping in KLCC and Pavillion are similar to what to get at orchard rd in singapore. You can get almost every brands and retails under one roof at these malls. Head down to the malls beside bukit bintang LRT station for electronic goods. I thinks its called plaza Low Yatt and Bukit Bintang Plaza.

Jalan P Ramlee is a night spot for pubbing and clubbing. There are a few good clubs there like Zouk and Beach bar which are always full during weekends. You will see more foreigners than local at these clubs. Its is also a good place to socialise with the locals over some drinks and fun. You can take a cab or alight at the nearest LRT station which is Raja Chulan station. More layback pubs will be at Bintang Walk at Bukit Bintang. You can also head to outskirts of KL city center to places like damansara and bangsar for places to eat and hang out. There are many good restaurant and cafes ideal for chilling til late night.

I ve been to Taman tasik titiwangsa where the eye of malaysia once stood. It has now moved to Bandar Hilir Malacca for some unknown reason. I was quite dissappointed with the eye of malaysia as it looks like a normal ferries wheel you find at any fun fair only slightly bigger. You can only see a glimpse view of KL from the wheel.

If you are done with shopping in KL city and want a change of atmosphere, get on a cab at Berjaya time square or Puduraya bus terminal to Genting highlands. Spend a day there gambling, sight seeing and playing at the outdoor theme part before leaving KL. That will complete your visit to KL. I am looking forward for my next trip to KL in Jan 2009 celebrating my GF's birthday there.

melbourne
17 helpful votes
“Shopping galore but not what I had expected.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2009

I visited KL in Malaysia in 2008 and found it to be an interesting place but not what I had expected.

The city is very modern and seems to lack much in the way of Historical or traditional architeclture buildings which was slightly dissapointing. I was hoping that there would be alot of Traditional buildings to photogrpah but most were modern skyscrapers near the city.The City itself was full of things to buy, but lacked many attractions close to the city centre, especially within walking distance. If you love shopping, you will love KL.

One thing you must do if you love shopping is try Chinatown at Pataling Street. Its abit out of the city centre area (although in KL it is hard to pick which bit is the ctual centre) but well worth the experience, which at times can be abit overwheming.

I must say that I loved the Bird park. It has mixed reviews but I thought it really was a great experience and well planned. I was going to try the Butterfly park but ran out of time and the weather wasnt co-operating on that day.

The KL Hop-on-hop-off bus was great value, and took you around to all the mainattractions and gives you a good overview of the city. The Bus stops right outside the bird Park.

For those who want to see something quite interesting (well it was to me anyway), visit Genting , about 1 hour outside of KL. It is a Casino and entertainment complex, with shops, theme park, water park nd hotels, including the 6,000 room main hotel. I have never seen anything as busy as that hotel. Even if you dont gamble, which I dont, it was an interesting place.

On the day I went to Genting the cable car was completely full, wait was over 2 hours so we drove up the hill. I was abit dissapointed by that but it was still a good day out.

The Patronas Towerrs are a great attraction but due to the need to get there so early to line up for the limited tickets to the skybridge, I unfortunately misse that so the giftshop was the next best thing. Suria KLCC shopping Centre underneath the Towers is a good mall along with the parklands with the fountains (which I missed out on as they seemed to be doing work on them at the time). The Aquarium was a good experience, especially the travellator through the tunnels.

The Menara KL (KL Tower) was an impressive building with great views of the city and gives you a good orientation tour of the city below. The parklands underneath certainly shouldnt be missed, with the rainforest and monkeys creating a great environment to be in. It is impressive to have such parklands in the heart of the city.

Overall, KL has many good parts but the weather can certainly take the energy out of you quickly. This must be taken into account when planning your day as you will likely be tired a 1/4 of the way into your plans. The weather can also play havoc on the plans with many big rainstorms in the afternoon occuring on a daily basis when I was there (August), so make sure you arent too far from cover when those clouds roll overhead.

One other tip, visit the Malaysian Tourism centre which is located fairly close to the monorail and on the other side a short walk to KLCC (patronas Towers). It will have alot of info on not just KL but the whole of Malaysia

Hope this was helpful to you. Enjoy your travels.

Been to Kuala Lumpur? Share your experiences!