“stayGARBAGE.com…I’ll explain.”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kuala Lumpur
StayOrange . com Hotel
Ranked #234 of 353 Kuala Lumpur B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 13, 2010

Ah yes, the stayOrange.com hotel near the sweet smelling China Town’s Petaling Street. After our breezy check-n we were whisked away to our room that judging by the in-house flyer seemed like it was gonna have that retro funky feel that is always fun. Well, we entered out double room very slowly because with our bags and the space available, it was the only way. Literally you could not see the floor after we got the door closed. Now, the room had a funk but not just any funk. I’m talkin about the smell of a room that at one time was used as a 6 foot swimming pool. But its not a swimming pool and the random rca in/out plugs dangling from the wall sealed the deal with their rusted corrosion. I suppose the mold stains on the wall and ceiling were suspect too. So, ok, we were staying in a damp flood victim of a room but we had a tv and free wifi. Or did we? Ok, so no hotels remote works to turn on the TV so I made attempts at the several buttons and very inconveniently placed plug but alas, no TV. The kind gentlemen who tried to help was not actually a worker at the hotel (notice the “kind”) but he gave it his best and asserted that it was broken. Ok, well he wifi? Hmmm, nada. Now the high tech wizards at the stayGARBAGE.com hotel explained that our software was not compatible to pick up their wifi which was newly created by a being greater than Bill Gates on a newly discovered Orange planet run by Mr. Bean. Odd, but we politely accepted this. Allrighty, so…no wifi, no TV, mold, stank, no floor space. Now, in other languages Garbage might mean something different, but I’m referring to the kind of garbage you might flush down the toilet after a healthy offering of Mexican heavy on the refried beans and guacamole. This hotel was similar to that. So, we decided not to stay in the excrement and peace out to another hotel an hour after we checked in. The woman that night had a plethora of excuses for why we could not just get our money back right away which included the boss being on vacation for a month and the dude the next day might have had refried beans on the brains so as it stands, we are at the mercy of the company awaiting an email back to get our money back. Oh….so what do I think of the stayGARBAGE.com Hotel? well...garbage.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank sweetpik2

Reviewed July 17, 2010

I am in KL for a longer internship and my first hostel was really not great which is why I wanted to move to this hostel which looked great on the internet. well waste of my money and time!!:

service is crap- the receptionist is unfriendly and not helpful- the manager is arrogant and not helpful either

the pictures of the room are really old, my bathroom was filled with someone else's hair, the rooms are entirely too small, my tv didn't work and neither did my internet. there was no toilet paper in the bathroom and the airconditioning did entirely too much noise

when I wanted to leave after about half an hour of being in the room they refused to pay me back the entire price, stating that i was the only one complaining!
Honestly don't go there - there are plenty of nicer and way cheaper hostels like for example the new explorer's guesthouse or the travel hub guesthouse even westoverlodge hostel is better

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed July 4, 2010

First off - I am more than aware that this is a cheap hotel with cubicle rooms. I knew that when I booked it online, and was indifferent to that because I only wanted to sleep there and didn't require views or room service or any of the other things you expect from a standard hotel anywhere. In that sense, you get what you pay for. However, there is a point where a hotel crosses the line into extracting the urine territory when you realise that the towels don't get washed, the sheets don't get washed and changed, and your room has a young family of cockroaches marching happily to and fro about the floor.

If I was in a small village in Cambodia, for example, I would not have an issue with things like cockroaches and the like when choosing somewhere to sleep - you learn to let things go and adapt to the reality of your surroundings and options. But when you are in a multi-cultural, modern, western like city like Kuala Lumpur, it is not unreasonble to expect simple things like basic cleaning.

After complaining about the first room and the small family living there, I was switched to a room that had been chemically sprayed. Which would have been fine, but there is no ventilation whatsoever in the rooms, so the stench lingered powerfully and made it hard to breathe properly without feeling sick.

The TV remote didn't work, so I had it replaced. The replacement didn't work either. The TV itself was odd. To turn down the volume, I had to mash at the menu button, because all of the other buttons would change the channels randomly, regardless of what they were supposed to do. The aircon did actually work, but very noisily, and would only stick to one temperature - really cold. As previously stated, the bedding and towels were not clean. The toilet had no seat. The sink fixtures were broken. The seals to the bathroom were half hanging off the door.

The service is terrible. The staff are clearly without care and have no concept of hospitality. The cynical side of me thinks that this is because they are trained to simply take the cash and hand over the keys, but I suspect it is more a case of that combined with them just being some poor sod taking any job they can get and that they must have to endure the same complaints day in day out from the people who have the unfortunate displeasure of staying there.

All in all, a terrible hotel. I have stayed in cheaper places in poorer countries and they have all been able to provide the basics any traveller would expect. I did not in anyway expect anything spectacular when I booked, far from it, but stayorange are completely misprepresenting themselves, and I get the impression from websites and from other travellers that no-one who has stayed there in recent times has anything nice at all to say about the place.

I'll leave you with the mental picture of me searching for other hotels on the pay computers in the lobby while a large cockroach dashed back and forth across the key board.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DoctorTurtle
Reviewed June 12, 2010

A cheap hotel, but for a couple the rooms are really too small. No room to open suitcase. Because of the adjecent bathroom, the its always damp..
Only a (orange) showercurtain covers the window, so the sun will shine in your eyes all day. The internet was not working during our short stay at orange.

We booked this hotel for 3 days, but left before the first night. No refund was given, but this sunk costs we happely paid as we gained new appriciation for the next hotel (one street further is the Manderin Pacifica, which will give great value for only 20RM more).

Other good alternatives in petaling street are Lok Ann, china town inn or Swiss hotel.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 28, 2010

First the good points.

Right, that didn't take long. (Oh, ok, I'll give them location - right in the heart of China Town).

Now on to the bad points....

- Paid 349RM for four nights 10 months in advance on web-site only to find walk-in rates of 70RM per night being advertised on arrival
- Miserable, unhelpful receptionist who thought we were staying for only one night, not four. Never checked any ID or passport
- Initially given a key, walked up three flights of stairs to 'our' room only to open it and find it full of someone else's stuff. Walked back down to complain - receptionist could hardly bring herself to believe me ("Really?!") and gave me a different key. Note this was a real 'key' - not the advertised key card
- Remote control for TV didn't work, despite being marked 'ok'
- Light over bed didn't work and came off wall in my hand
- Tiny, tiny room with no window. Impossible to walk round bed
- Cockroach on pillow on arrival
- TV reception poor and very limited local channel selection
- Bathroom walls are made of clear glass. Great if you want to see your partner showering (may turn some people on) or using the toilet (presumably turns fewer people on)
- Tap on sink loose and cold water only
- Corridor noisy
- No lift or safe in room
- No fire instructions in room
- No toilet rool holder in bathroom - reason became clear when shower was turned on as it sprayed and soaked everywhere/thing

Do youself a big favour and stay somewhere else. Anywhere else! We haven't tried the Tune Hotel in KL, but Tune in Penang and LCCT was fine and recommended.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LondonRicardo
Reviewed October 6, 2009

Entrance to Hotel told a tale, homeless guy sleeping under stayorange canopy which was almost black with grime. Pics on website made it look funky and clean, it wasn't walls were stained and bedding was suspect. Chinese traders were sleeping in corridors outside the rooms and this didn't perturb staff. Air con way too cold and air didn't smell good. Staff were disinterested and I didn't feel left luggage was secure. Basically don't stay here, it's grim and you (and I) are better than that.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled solo
1  Thank GeorgeSmyley
Reviewed July 27, 2009

I believe I stayed the hotel right after they open in Sep,2007. everything was totally cleaned and they had friendly staff. the water heater in my room was not working properly but i got one of the staff to fix it and after all, i had a comfortable stay.

BUT please remember that there are NO WINDOW in any room in this hotel. could make you feel like you are a slave or something.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled solo