“Head to tail eating”
Review of El Cerdo

El Cerdo
Ranked #11 of 4,125 Restaurants in Kuala Lumpur
Cuisines: German, Spanish
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Special occasions, Business meetings, Bar scene, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Buffet, Reservations
Description: Backed by 40 years of experience in various fine dining kitchens around the globe, Werner Kuhn set up El Cerdo KL, in the year 2005. The restaurant is well known to many as the No. 1 European style Pork Specialty eatery in Kuala Lumpur, focusing on traditional recipes. Having gathered many accolades for its outstanding food and service quality, the most popular item is "The Cochinillo Segoviano", a Spanish style roasted suckling pig dish that is served with the obligatory Plate Cutting Ceremony. Our slogan shouts out loud 'Nose To Tail Eating'.
Penang
“Head to tail eating”
Reviewed September 19, 2012

After my bad experience trying to get some service from another restaurant, I had decided to leave and headed to Changkt Bukit Bintang for my dinner. From outside, I can hear the restaurant is full of laughs and so decided to walk in.

Being welcome with sweet smile of the waitress and leading us to our seat. The waitress has been patient enough to help us going through the menu and assist us in making right decision.
The food is full of meat but all are excellent. I will be more than happy to come back again and bringing more friends.

• Visited September 2012

• Korean first
kuala lumpur
“great food”
Reviewed September 18, 2012

been here a few times and each time we left with a smile on our faces! the food is really good and the wine selection is tops. the must-try is the suckling pig and the churos for desert. the owner is really friendly and warm. all in a great dining place and it is well worth the price!

• Visited June 2012
1 Thank christinechin25
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Only for meat-lovers”
Reviewed September 18, 2012

This is not the place for those looking for a balanced meal.
The signature dish of roast suckling pig is highly over-rated, and the whole show of breaking the plate after cutting it is just getting tired!
The pork knuckle is a better choice.

Visited December 2011
Perth, Australia
“An experience to remember”
Reviewed September 8, 2012

Certainly an entertaining dining experience. Excellent staff offering professional, efficient service and rather entertaining to boot. Good wine list. A bit expensive by KL standards.

Visited September 2012
1 Thank EricPerth_Australia
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Excellent pork meal!”
Reviewed August 31, 2012

This is my 2nd time to this restaurant. My first was in Feb '12 for my birthday. My wife surprised me with this place. She knew that I love to eat pork and based on friend's recommendations she brought me here. The place, located along Cangkat Bukit Bintang in KL is a converted old shophouse. So it is a tad congested. The tables are just a bit too close to each other. But the decor is very nice and pleasant. It has a fine dining feel to it. However, not exactly place to go for a romantic dinner. Because of the proximity of the tables the place can be noisy.

As soon as we were ushered to our table we were assigned a waiter that served us and attended to our every (well almost) need for the entire night. Almost like our personalized butler! We ordered crispy German pork knuckles and they were just delicious! Do take note that the portions are large! My wife and I could have actually just shared this one meal. So by the time we stopped eating the main course (we couldn't finish the portion so we doggy bagged it home for later!) we did not have any room left in our tummies for dessert. And of course, since it was my birthday, a group of the waiters came round to our table and sang me a birthday song. They also gave me a small cute piggy figurine as a gift. Pretty nice touch :-)

Their specialty is actually crispy roasted suckling pig. They will give you a plate that is used to slice-up portions of the pork. After you have done that you are actually required to literally smash the plate into a bucket! Apparently, it is symbolic of smashing of all the bad luck away! Interesting...

Our 2nd time round was last night for our wedding anniversary. Smarting from the first visit this time we ordered only one meal shared between the both of us. Or waiter recommended their Japanese Sakura Pork. Apparently, the meat has been marinated and cooked for over 18 hours! So we took his recommendation and we were not not disappointed! It taste really fantastic! The meat is just succulent and delicious. And the portion was just right for the both of us! The service was just like before i.e. just a great!

Do make a trip to this restaurant and try out their piggy meals. Am sure you will enjoy the meal and the ambience as well!

• Visited August 2012