All reviewskl sentralold town white coffeebrickfields areatriple roomtransport hubindian foodmonorail
Reviewed January 11, 2012

I must advise everyone, this facility is most suited for those in vraiment désespéré or when there's no other choice. I stayed here for two days and 1 night since my permanent residence was having water supply shortages. Dragging our feet, we closed one side of the eye to check-in here, early January, 2012. It was already 10:00 p.m., as I'm so exhausted after work, I can't wait for the water supply to resume (back home). At RM80, we got a Deluxe room , paid using Visa debit card (Walk-in). The room was equipped with the old, torn and worn out wall paper with smelly beds that's covered with the 80's bed cover set. Even the small bulky CRT colored TV must be of the 1980s model and yes, it has air-conditioner (also 1980s). It is really like the horror movie feeling when the lift door opened at the black-out darkened hall way. We are lucky because there is a technician that still working at 10:45 p.m. to fix the broken lamps. Water pressure is good, heater is workin, toilet not that bad.
Other facilities:- There's a kiosk that sell basic necessities such as biscuits, sodas, tit bits, shampoo, soaps, American cigarettes and magazines. Also there is an ATM machine attached to the building and a new restaurant operated by the same hotel workers. If you walk about 5 minutes to Jalan Syed Putra Kiri, you shall find a fameux plat pour la Malaisie the Nasi Lemak stall. It's cooked in coconut milk, with pandan leaves and even ginger or a stalk of lemon grass. Nasi Lemak is available on almost every street corner and in almost every local-themed restaurant, served with everything from chicken to beef to cuttlefish.
If you could spare more budget, walk up the hill (about 8 minutes) to Le Chateau Siu Siu seafood restaurant, famous for the Chilli crabs and chill beer. It's packed with the expatriates. Public transportation should not be a problem in this part of the city. Walk about 150 meter, you shall find yourself a cross over bridge to monorel that will transport you in the heart of the city or to the airport. If you love shopping, get a taxi to the Mid Valley Mega Mall (it should cost you less than RM10) - about 1.3 km.
That's all.

Room Tip: There is no good room. The hotel is too old, without any attempt to refurbish.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
7  Thank BeachBoys_2011
Reviewed December 22, 2011

Stayed here for 3 nights, recommended by my brother who stayed there two years ago. The hostel is still doing well for itself.

Obviously, location is very good. 5 minutes walking distance from KL Sentral, where you can catch all sorts of transport around. We weren't sure how to get there first, so took a taxi that costs us about 70RM. Big mistake, there are definitely better ways to get there, Sky Bus for one (only 8RM), since KL Sentral offers many alternatives.

We booked a double room with an attached bathroom, price was very cheap. The room was an average size, did not mind it at all. Bathroom was small but enough to provide our needs. The only thing that concerned me was that there was no lockers or secure storage. We just used our suitcases. Water and fresh towels were provided every day.

All other facilities were not included but cheap laundry was available near by. Internet was also supposedly available, but was down while we were there. Staff were not as friendly as I thought they could be and only originally booked me for two nights, instead of three. Luckily I spotted the mistake in the bill.

Recommendation: good for travelers on a budget and thensome.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jediRJ
Reviewed November 20, 2011

YMCA Kula Lalumpur located very near to KL Sentral station (Transportation Hub:- LRT, KTM Kamuter, KLIA express, Mono rail and Rapid KL bus) only 150 meters walking distance. I stayed here for a week …I really enjoyed. Rooms are not so big but very neat and clean. Complimentary breakfast available.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
6  Thank Hashrin
Reviewed November 16, 2011

me and my wife visited last june. and a relative of mine is working in malaysia. she suggested to stay at KL sentral area. since, it's the best location to/from anywhere you want to go. and since, I'm a budget traveller. she suggested YMCA. so, I checked it out here at tripadvisor. YMCA charged me RM118 per night. so, that's about $38. really cheap. breakfast is also included. and great location. you can go practically anywhere from KL sentral. and KL sentral has two train lanes. one to petronas twin tower. the other goes to time square. one of the malls in malaysia. from time square. you can walk to a lot of other smaller malls.

let's talk about the room. the room is a little bit small. they have a lcd tv, T&B and split type aircon. but the aircon is a little bit noisy. no ref. almost all the tv channels are in their local dialect. no HBO etc.

they have strict rules on check-out time. it's on 12noon. you can't request for a late check-out. :(

at the back of YMCA. the whole street is full of local eatery/restaurant. mainly chinese and indian restaurant. very cheap and great food. a must try for everyone.

across the street. there is a local coffee shop. old town coffee shop. try their kaya toast.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Kerwin225
Reviewed November 6, 2011

Good location - not too far away from the tourist destinations. The rooms are not anything to rave about just sufficient - as long as the air conditioning works. The staff is not too helpful but a decent place to crash for a night and cover a bit of KL

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends