“Tune Hotels needs to TUNE UP on Customer Service”

Tune Hotel Kuala Lumpur
Ranked #78 of 340 Hotels in Kuala Lumpur
Colombo, Sri Lanka
“Tune Hotels needs to TUNE UP on Customer Service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2011

I Just returned home after a weeks holiday in Malaysia. During my stay I booked at Tune Hotel down town KL for 4 nights and Tune Hotel Danga bay for 3 nights. This is my 4th visit to Malaysia and on all my previous visits I have stayed at Tune Hotels. I have recommended this hotel to many of my family and friends because of its convenience, central location and comfort for a competitive price.

My last visit which was in March has left me very disappointed because of 02 incidents I had to face at Tune hotel Downtown KL and Danga Bay. I though of sharing my experiences with other fellow travelers

The first incident happened at Tune Hotel Downtown KL. We had just returned from Johar Baru and the time was 5:00am in the morning when we arrived at the Hotel. We decided on traveling in the night to save time. There were children and a few senior citizens in our group. We were all very much tired after the 6 hour bus ride from JB. I approached the counter and inquired if it was possible for us to check in. I knew the check in time is 2:00pm. At this moment the lady behind the counter she gave her name as Zarish refused saying NO. She seemed very annoyed and I don’t know for what reason but was very rude as if to say we were a disturbance to her. I understand that if the company policy is that then it should be politely explained rather than snubbing at the guests. The counter staff do not have a understanding on how to treat guests. They should realize that they are in the hospitality trade. Their monthly salary is paid by the guests and they should be properly trained in offering a courteous service to guests. I would like to highlight in particular 2 ladies both who are a bit on the heavy side physically (one is Zarish other I do not have the name) who are very rude. They do not have a smile on their faces.
On my departure when I was checking out of the hotel at 2:00am in the morning there was a couple who was checking in to the hotel. This very same lady was at the counter who checked them in. I would like to ask you why are such double standards prevalent ? If this is the company policy then it should be for all not just for a few.

The second incident was at Tune Hotels Danga Bay. For our return back to KL we had booked a Van at your travel counter to take us to Larkin bus terminal at 10:00pm . A guy named RAJ (TP 0167943322) took the booking down. We had confirmed the booking with him and every thing was arranged and planned. He was to send the van for the pick up to the hotel at 10:00pm At 9:30pm I telephoned RAJ and inquired from him regarding the van. To my utter surprise at this very last moment he tells me that I didn’t confirm the booking. I was soo annoyed since everything was agreed and confirmed. Ultimately your counter staff telephoned a few cabs and we left to the bus terminal. I need to know why the hotel is prominently advertising these guys service since guests cannot rely on their service

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
tunehotelsdotcom, Manager at Tune Hotel Kuala Lumpur, responded to this review, March 16, 2011
Hi There,

Thank you for dropping a feedback on your recent visit to our Tune Hotels Downtown KL and apologies for the inconveniences you encountered.

As you are aware that our check in time is at 2pm, it was unfortunate that at the time of arrival, all rooms were fully booked and we were unable to accommodate your request for an early check in.

After investigating this incident, we had a chat with the Front desk staff Zarish on this matter and she clarified that she had thoroughly explained to you that all rooms were fully booked and check out being only at 10am, there were no rooms available at the time of your request.

However, we apologize if in anyway we did not meet your expected Front desk service standards, and taking each and every feedback extremely important for individual staff and hotel performance; this issue has been highlighted to the training team for action.

And the couple checking in at 2am, was actually late check in, where the terms and condition on check out time still remains at 10am.

As a limited service concept hospitality operator, we have highlighted this matter to the concessionaire transportation provider for immediate action. I assure you that this is uncommon and on this occasion, it may have slipped into the cracks. Nonetheless, we keep tabs on their services and will take the necessary actions when it continuously fails to meet up service expectations.

Nonetheless, taking all feedback constructively, the hotel operations team are notified of the areas you have brought to attention.

Thank you once again for highlighting the matter to us for our action.

Regards,
Sharon-Customer Care

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (274)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Kapaau, Hawaii
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2011

Tune hotels are a great idea and would be just about perfect if they kept the property up a little better. Seems like budget to the extreme is the motto here. So much so that basic cleanliness is sacrificed.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Hi There,

Thank you for dropping a feedback on your recent visit to our Tune Hotels Downtown KL.

Tune Hotels Downown Kuala Lumpur was born on April 2007, and indeed it has been weather-beaten by the ageing process. On a positive outlook, we are currently in progress of refurbishing the entire hotel premise, which includes the flooring, replacing damaged furniture and fittings, servicing the air conditioning units and also adding TV.

So brace yourself for a whole new facade soon coming really soon.

Thank you.

Warm Regards,
Sharon- Customer Care

Travelers are raving about these Kuala Lumpur hotels

Bengaluru, India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2011

Very clean and comfortable rooms. All basic amenities available-- Air Conditioning, Hot Shower, Laundry , Wi FI etc. TV not available in most rooms-- Can ask for it.

COmfortable, Well Located and Courtious staff.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Peterborough
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2011

We were a little nervous about staying at the Tune Hotel in central Kuala Lumpur. The hotel is owned by Air Asia and we’d just experienced a 16 hour delay on one of their flights, our frustration about the delay compounded by a total lack of customer care on the part of the Air Asia representatives. We had booked the hotel on the internet before our flights and were concerned that the hotel would offer the same appalling level of customer service as its parent company.

Fortunately, the hotel turned out to be alright. True, rooms are very small and there is an overt commercial slant to them with, for instance, advertisements replacing the usual pictures on the walls. But the room was functional for a short stay. We particularly liked the comfortable bed and pillows, and the shower was powerful and refreshing after a day of tramping the Kuala Lumpur streets. The hotel is also situated between two stations on the city’s transport system, being about 5 minutes walk from each so it was easy to get around Kuala Lumpur from the hotel.

We had one meal in the hotel restaurant and breakfasted there a few times. The food was adequate. There are some local eateries next to the hotel and towards Medan Tuanku monorail station plus other restaurants (including a Pizza Hut and a Japanese restaurant) in the shopping centre on the opposite side of the road. We used the monorail to visit Bukit Bintang and the Chinese restaurants of Jalan Alor on three occasions. On the first night we visited the Dragon View Restaurant at the far end of the street (there are 3 with the same name, the first 2 being at the start of Jalan Alor). We really liked the food and returned again on the third night after a pretty undistinguished meal at Cu Cha Restaurant on our second night.

We also visited Melaka on a day trip from Kuala Lumpur. We did enquire at the travel service in the lobby of the Tune Hotel but their prices were quite steep and we were able to organise the trip on express buses for less than half the price they had quoted us.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Lanjaron La Alpujarra
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2011

This is my first stay at a Tune Hotel.After reading some previous reviews of this hotel I was anxious.My fears were unfounded.I think it is fabulous value for the money.My single room is clean,spacious, quiet & safe & the bed is so comfy.Today I did all my washing in the machines.So convenient.The location near the monorail is great too.Will definitely use again.(65 year old female budget traveller from U.K)

• Stayed February 2011
Sydney
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2011

Just spent 2 nights in Downtown Tune, KL, and was well pleased. I travel compactly and do not expect a hotel to be my holiday venue complete with views, lounges and a chocolate on the pillow. I expect a hotel to provide a clean room, a clean bed and clean bathroom facilities. This hotel did just that. Free internet was a bonus. Breakfast was simple, limited but very inexpensive. The 7-11 meant bottled water easily available. I had purchased air conditioning and a towel in advanced and recommend that.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo
New Delhi, India
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2011

The hotel room is ok..very good if single traveller slightly congested for double..and the most important thing never ever take cabs from the counter downstairs the bloddy "captrans" they charge like anything better call a taxi....

• Stayed February 2011
tunehotelsdotcom, Manager at Tune Hotel Kuala Lumpur, responded to this review, February 9, 2011
Hi There,

Thank you for completing a Trip Advisor Review on your recent stay at Tune Hotels Downtown Kuala Lumpur.

To address your comments, our hotel essentially operates on a limited service concept, parallel to a “pay as you use concept”

This typically allows our customers to assemble their stay requirements to suit their budget. As for the sizes of our rooms, our rooms are typically space efficient.

Although our rooms are space-challenged, but they're impeccably clean and perfectly adequate as "crash pads". After all, our limited service concept encourages guests to spend less within the hotel itself, driving more spend outside the hotel. Through the affordable pay-as-you-use system of add-ons for energy-consuming facilities and amenities, and the perks, we help conserve both your funds as well as the earth’s resources

Unfortunately the Captrans tranport, are not owned by Tune Hotels, but our concessionaires who set their own prices structure. However - I have passed you comments on to their owners.

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on Trip advisor.

We certainly look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Warm Regards,