“Pretty basic but not great”

Q Hotel Kuala Lumpur
Ranked #202 of 347 Hotels in Kuala Lumpur
Reviewed September 20, 2013

We had two stays at the Citrus the first for 2 nights when we first arrived in Malaysia and 1 prior to our flight back which we booked through STA when we booked our flights. We arrived at 3am on the first visit and found the room pretty basic but with a fantastic view of the PETRONAS Towers. The room was a good size but whilst it wasn't dirty as such it just looked worn. The bedding had been washed but still had marks on it and we had one good pillow and one that was so lumpy it felt like it was filled with kitchen towel. The Wi-Fi was great and worked in both rooms we had.

There was lots of choice within the breakfast selection and they had clearly marked vegetarian options for my wife however the rice, noodles and spring rolls were all cold. We wondered if this was just because we were quite late down on 2 of the mornings (9am-ish) but even when we got down for 6am when it opened prior to our transfer to the airport it was still cold made it fairly inedible.

The reception staff were very helpful and gave us good advice on walking to the nearby Sultan Ismail LRT station which was a great cheap option for getting in and we also found the Sightseeing Bus stopped not too far away (although we got a bit lost but that was my fault) and they also printed our return boarding passes once I emailed them over. We did have a problem with our transfer when we booked a taxi to the airport the night before but it wasn't there when we went to leave and we had to wait while the porter went to flag one from the main road and worried we would be late for our flight. In the end we made it in plenty of time but it was a stress we could have done without.

It is a shame because with a bit of work and some TLC this could be a good a hotel but as it doesn't appear that old but is already being allowed to fall into a state of disrepair this means it is probably only going to go downhill further.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TomSpez
ManendraSharma, General Manager at Q Hotel Kuala Lumpur, responded to this reviewResponded September 20, 2013

Greetings from Citrus Kuala Lumpur!

I thank you for your patronage & candid feedback on your recent stay with us.

It is by means of constructive feedback from our esteemed guests like you, we learn our areas of improvement.

We understand that you found our rooms a little worn out. I wish to convey that we are in process of rejuvenating our rooms in phases & will definitely work on improving the overall experience of our guests.

Our hotel team across all the departments is committed to provide our best service always to our guests.

We have taken note of your comment on our buffet & assure you that we shall definitely take preventive measures to ensure that we do not slip on our buffet standards. I wish to convey that the anomalies experienced by yourself are definitely not our standard.

I would request you to kindly let me know in case you plan to travel to Kuala Lumpur again. I will be happy to take care of your hotel arrangement at Citrus personally.

Reviewed September 19, 2013

On my way back to Singapore, I stopped over to stay in Citrus Hotel but I was really disappointed with the experienced I had. I tried to book into Sunway Putra but found that there was massive renovations being carried out a the shopping complex, so I took a chance of staying here. Never again will I want to stay in this Hotel. The entrance into the Hotel is very unsafe for ladies even if you are driven to the entrance of the Hotel. Its like entering into the bronx. No one assisted me although there were guards and staff loitering in the lobby chatting away among themselves. They just opened the glass door for me and I had to wait for service at the reception. I overheard other guest complaining that they also had to wait for service and the lobby was not a lobby. Anyway, when the reception staff finally noticed me, she attended to me with no eye contact at all. She was talking on the phone with her friend as she was mumbling away with anger on the phone and also asking me my details as though she was very frustrated with life. Finished with the long check in, I had to look for the lift to find my way to my room. I had problems with the door lock and asked the housekeeping staff to assist but they just looked at me and continued with what they were doing. I finally opened the door and the smell was horrible, carpets were dusty and found hair in the bathroom sink. The view was an eyesore and noisy. Well, I was tired and had a so call hot shower but cold water was what I had. Called reception but it took them so long to send the maintenance staff to check. I did not allow the staff to enter my room as he was not properly dressed in uniform without any name tag and was even in slippers. My goodness, is this SERVICE from the Hotel???????? or a guy from the bronx??????. The next day I decided to check out early before 7 am and when I went to the lobby there was no one there. Again had to wait for a sleepy faced guy to attend to me. Rather rude guy with no courtesy at all. Breakfast was horrible and cold. Service was slow and bad in the cafe. Anyway, this will be my FIRST & LAST stay in this dodgy Hotel in the BRONX of Kuala Lumpur.

Room Tip: Cleanliness and Maintenance SUCKS
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank Pat W

Dear Guest,

Greetings from Citrus Hotel Kuala Lumpur!

At the onset I apologize to you for the inconvenience caused to you during your recent stay at Citrus Hotel Kuala Lumpur.

We agree that the series of events experienced by yourself are definitely undesirable.

At Citrus, we are committed to endeavor our best services with courtesy to all guests staying with us & definitely our guest & their requirements are of priority for us than anything else. We will definitely reinspect our reception services for the basic courtesies & correct the anomalies experienced by yourself during your visit.

We have taken a serious note on your review on the quality of food & room cleanliness & maintenance & would definitely work on improving the same.

I sincerely hope you give us another opportunity to host your stay at Citrus Kuala Lumpur. I request you to kindly let me know in case plan to travel to Kuala Lumpur in future & I shall personally take care of your stay arrangements to make sure you experience the true Citrus services.

Reviewed September 18, 2013

I stayed in Citrus on 3-7 September 2013..the room on their site is not the same as their "real" room..the room is dirty, old...don't believe on their site picture, its totally different....totally needs renovation...the breakfast is poor...and what i concern more is about their security system, i was lost my hp and asked them to let me check their CCTV. They gave me form and they said their chief security will check it, however i have to keep asking them about it and they said that their chief take day off for few days and the day before i left, i asked them to meet their Chief security but still NOTHING....and they keep saying that "it is hotel policy that guest cant check CCTV, only hotel management and chief security ONLY"........i was disappointed a lot....

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank dingobali
ManendraSharma, General Manager at Q Hotel Kuala Lumpur, responded to this reviewResponded September 18, 2013

Greetings from Citrus Kuala Lumpur!

At the onset I would apologize for the inconvenience caused to you during your recent stay at Citrus Kuala Lumpur. Me & my team have taken note of your comments on our hotel maintenance & taste of food.

As a hotel we try to have balanced menu to cater to our varied guests of different nation origin. As a standard we serve a mix of continental selection along with selected Asean delicacies in our breakfast buffet. However, I shall definitely review our breakfast menus along with my chef to ensure our guests enjoy the selection & taste of food.

Security of our guests is of prime importance to us. Our security chief do investigate thoroughly on each & every accident reported to us. I apologize to you in case my team failed to get back to you on the findings but as a norm we get back to our guests without fail on our investigations in such cases.

I sincerely hope that you would give us an opportunity to host your stay again & wipe out the bitter experience of your last stay by offering our best services to you.

I would request you to let me know in case you happen to travel to Kuala Lumpur again, I would be happy to personally take care of your stay at Citrus Hotel Kuala Lumpur.

Looking forward to welcome you back at Citrus.

Reviewed September 17, 2013

This is the worst Hotel in Malaysia and don't ever think of staying here if you are thinking of booking a hotel room in this area as there are many more better hotels which have better room, staff and service. The rooms here are so deteriorated with no proper maintenance, staff are rude and abrupt, service is so slow, food is horrible. I just could not believe the standards have dropped so much ever since my last stay earlier this year. Its a real shame. I even asked to see the GM but was told that he will not see anyone after his working hours. Well, its fine as he is he boss as staff seem to be fearful of him. You can be rest assured that all my family and friends traveling to KL will never step foot into this lousy Hotel. Keep up your good work!

Room Tip: No room is a god room in this Hotel
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Jamestee2318

Greetings from Citrus Kuala Lumpur!

I thank you for your patronage & candid feedback on our services & responsiveness.

At the onset, I apologize to you for not living up to your expectations in terms of service delivery & speediness. We endeavor to provide our best services to our esteemed guests like yourself but I notice, we have caused inconvenience to you inadvertently.

At Citrus we believe our entire team is for guest service irrespective of the ranks & designations & all of us take pride in attending to our guest's needs 24 X 7. We have taken note of your experience & wish to convey that it is definitely not our brand standard. I will definitely take up with my team & also review in case there are any internal barriers in terms of escalation of guest requests in our hotel.

I sincerely hope that you would understand that our entire team including myself is committed to attend our guests anytime of the day & the anomaly experienced by yourself is definitely not our standard of handling any guest requests/ feedback.

I request you to kindly let me know in case you happen to travel to Kuala Lumpur again. I would be happy to take care of the hotel arrangements at Citrus Kuala Lumpur personally to ensure you experience our best & error free services at Citrus Kuala Lumpur.

Looking forward to welcome you back at Citrus Kuala Lumpur.

Reviewed September 16, 2013

I stayed here with my family for 3 nights and somewhat comfortable to me. Rooms are of average size and quite good condition. Bathrooms are nice. Buffet breakfast is quite good with Asian & western options. Its located very near to the Twin tower, KL Sentral. So location wise its good. Its worth more that what I paid. Overall satisfactory.

Room Tip: Top floor rooms with twin tower viewing.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
ManendraSharma, General Manager at Q Hotel Kuala Lumpur, responded to this reviewResponded September 17, 2013

Greetings from Citrus Kuala Lumpur!

We thank you for your patronage & candid feedback. Me & my team gets inspired to deliver our best services by means of your comments.

I hope that you enjoyed your stay with us & would give us opportunity to host your stay in future as well.

Reviewed September 15, 2013

Well lets just say that the photos are a false representation of the ACTUAL condition of the hotel. Lets start with the fact that I requested a non-smoking room, which smelled like a dodgy pub on a Sunday morning, followed by a window that pretty much fell off on head when opening to get some fresh air, an this window is certainly NOT child friendly as it opened up completely, 8 STORIES UP! Safety is certainly
not on their agenda. The bathroom was ok, but dirty and mouldy. The sheets smelled like dirty hair, pretty much like the room actually. The only real positive, was a view of the Petronas Towers.
Breakfast was.....ok... I guess. Staff and service helpful enough. If we had more time, I bet we would've found something much better for the price. All up, I wouldn't stay here again!

• Stayed: September 2013
ManendraSharma, General Manager at Q Hotel Kuala Lumpur, responded to this reviewResponded September 16, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your candid feedback!

I apologize for the inconvenience caused to you during your recent stay at Citrus Hotel Kuala Lumpur.

We take care of our guest requests with regards to smoking/ non smoking room, apparently have failed in your case. I assure you that the anomalies experienced by you are definitely not what we aspire to deliver to our esteemed guests.

We will definitely review our room allocation & cleaning procedures in order to avoid any inconvenience to our guests like yourself.

We definitely care about the safety & security of guests staying with us & we will definitely review the window locks in the rooms.

I sincerely hope that you will give us a chance to host your stay again at Citrus Kuala Lumpur. Looking forward to welcome you back at Citrus.

Reviewed September 11, 2013

Hotel is worth more than what you pay. Good rooms, very good buffet breakfast (asian, indian, western), pool, convenient location.
Bathroom: renovated to UK standard (i.e. painted over tiles, so now peeling), but otherwise fine.
Nothing to really complain about.

Room Tip: some rooms have view of Petronas towers.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank scottsworld
ManendraSharma, General Manager at Q Hotel Kuala Lumpur, responded to this reviewResponded September 12, 2013

Greetings from Citrus Kuala Lumpur!

We thank you for your patronage & inspiring feedback on our hotel & services. At Citrus we always endeavor to offer value for money to our esteemed guests.

Your kind words are definitely a source of encouragement for us.

I look forward to welcome you back at Citrus Hotel KL.