“The most horrible hotel I have ever seen”
Review of Brisdale

Brisdale
Ranked #286 of 347 Hotels in Kuala Lumpur
Reviewed March 29, 2013

2 families of 4 travelling together, we finally turn up at the hotel and only one room is ready. The elevator had a horrible smell, the carpets in the hall ways are old, shabby and dirty. Once in the room we were comfronted with more smells, the toilet leaked water mould and dirt everywhere. Our friends were waiting for their room to be cleaned by housekeeping we watched the clean try and just remake the bed, that's right not even clean sheets. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Nicole T

Reviewed March 8, 2013

I have travelled to many places in the world in many types of accommodation; including youth hostels and 5 star hotels. Now I've stayed in a number of family run hotels and youth hostels in South America/Europe and, even if the quality wasn't what I expected, I could sympathise with the owners and staff for trying their best to make me feel welcome and provide me with the basics you'd expect from a hotel/hostel.

However I have never been so appalled by a hotel in my life. The reception looked fine when we walked in and the staff seemed genuinely nice. However when we got upstairs to the room I found:

Graffiti covering most of the walls (yes graffiti!)
Curtains ripped
Bedding ripped
Yellow stains on the bedsheets
Blood stains on the pillow
An appalling bathroom (basically more dirt than bathroom units)

We were then moved to another room where I at least had clean bedsheets. However that night I had knocking on the door at 12 midnight and constant screaming in the streets below. I've stayed in dangerous areas but never felt this threatened.

Some of the reviews on here say that the hotel is bad for those from a "western background" and good for those on a tight budget. Believe me, I don't think this hotel is fit for "anyone" when they place you in a room full of graffiti, blood and a substance that looks like urine. That's something you won't find in the pictures.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank jchauvin
Reviewed January 29, 2013

Not only was the room stuffy, the manager or so it appeared was just as bad.
These are the people who damage every organisations image amd reputation.
The hotel can do better without them.
Unfortunate experience.

• Stayed: January 2013
2  Thank ponniah
Reviewed January 11, 2013

Being very well travelled and having backpacked around the world before, I thought I had seen it all, until I stayed here! After the poor taxi driver found the entrance to the hotel in the slums of the city we were rudely greeted by the reception men. Travelling with another 2western girls we were laughed at and rudely looked at as we were not muslim guests. Upon entrance to our room I was blown away by the filth and poor up keeping of the facilities. Everything was old, air con noisy and not working, bathroom look like it had never been cleaned, wall paper falling off the walls, marks including blood smeared everywhere. After complaining we were able to change rooms. The new room wasn't any better. As it was now late we attempted to go bed only to discover our bedding/sheets were clearly unclean and had never been washed after the last guests. We had to sleep on our beach towels with a sarong on top of us. Sleeping with one eye open all night (the neighbourhood is horrific and with a loud Muslim protest nearby). At about a little after midnight reception starting calling our room phone. We thought this was extremely strange and they had no real purpose to call us!!! They mumbled something down the phone and hangup. As soon as sunlight came up we were well out of there. The only positive they did cancel our booking and gave our money back for the second night we didn't say. Absolutely appalling and this should not operate as a hotel. Certainly worth paying money to stay somewhere else!

• Stayed: January 2013
2  Thank EbBurns
Reviewed January 11, 2013

I have nothing good to say about this hotel- the photos are misleading on the website and look nothing like they actually do. I stayed here with two female friends- all of us are well travelled and have stayed in over 30 countries. When we checked in the men were rude and were laughing at us. The area is unsafe and as women we felt threatened. The room was terrible and the paint peeling off the walls. There was marks all over the walls including some that looked like bloodstains. The sheets were stained and unclean and the bathroom was filthy. The air conditioner made a terrible clunking noise. We asked to be moved to another room which they did do but the second room was not much better. The hotel staff rang us at midnight to ask what room we had moved from. There was a Muslim rally happening until midnight with many screaming and yelling. The view was of the slums and in the morning when I opened the curtain I saw a dead body being taken away the medical centre across the road. I have never been so appalled at the state of a hotel and I have travelled budget many times over the years. We were booked in for two nights but ended up only staying one. We paid more money to stay in a nice hotel close to the twin towers.

Room Tip: Pay a but more and stay at another hotel.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Amy S
Reviewed January 3, 2013

Old hotel, photos are very misleading, the rooms are old the queen size beds are tiny and the rooms are dark with no ceiling light and only two bed side lamps that are of very little use. The breakfast is a rip off, 25 ringit per person for a terrible buffet breakfast. The pool is pathetically small and very cold. The pool area is a bit run down and dirty and there is ONE sun lounger. The tap in our room had been leaking so long the sink had become discoloured. The door to the actual shower/bath was water damaged and breaking up. The area is not great, it is in the middle of a large food market (mainly fruit) and smells of rotting fruit and veg. Taxi drivers laughed at us when we told them where we stayed. If you are a westerner then do not stay here you will not enjoy your stay. Every morning at about 5:45 I was woken up by the morning prayers of the the local mosques, in the 9 days we were there I didn't have one good nights sleep.

It says there is wifi but it is almost non existent in signal, and they refuse to give the passwords for the routers that are clearly in the halls.

The only positives I can give them is that there was plenty of English football on tv. The staff were fine especially one of the men on reception, very helpful. The view of the City was terrific, but only cause we got lucky and had a room on the right side.

Room Tip: You want a good room? Book elsewhere.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Itchieknee
Reviewed December 31, 2012

I stayed one night on 30 December, 2012. It is an old hotel with renovation plans soon in the pipeline. I would reckon it would be a good hotel for backpackers who know how to find the best deals and weave their way to places they want to visit.
It is centrally located in the biggest Night Market area in one of the "slum heart" of Kuala Lumpur and virtually stifled by the busy activities of surrounding stalls which sell unimaginable variety of foods and goods for bargain prices throughout the night until early morning for cheaper income customers.
Many Muslims patronise this hotel. I would reckon it would be an ideal hotel for lower income travellers mainly from Asian countries owing to it's similar surroundings.
The service at the reception was good.
I paid RM 165 for a standard room. I would pay about RM 70 for this type of old room given a choice. You can get a better deal in other newer hotels in Kuala Lumpur, the city being one of the cheapest place in the world for hotel packages !

Room Tip: The higher floors from 11 onwards contain better rooms.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo