“From excellence to mediocrity in such a short time”

Number Eight Guesthouse
Ranked #170 of 328 Kuala Lumpur B&B and Inns
New Zealand
“From excellence to mediocrity in such a short time”
Reviewed January 22, 2011

I have stayed at number eight on 3 occasions over 3 years. The first stay was great. I have always stayed in a double suite room, and 3 years ago the room was clean, well presented with no broken fixtures or fittings. The service was adequate bearing in mind this is a backpackers establishment with a few hotel type rooms thrown in to increase the owner's profitability.
My second visit to Number Eight was at the end of 2009 and although the rooms were showing a lack of maintenance with damaged paint etc, they were still of acceptable condition for the price of a room (135 Malaysian Ringgit per night). Having just stayed at number eight again (January 2011) I have to say the place is a big disappointment. The state of the best rooms (double ensuite) is disgraceful. The attendant recognized me upon my arrival and said he'd give me the "best" room so I'll take him at his word. Best room or not, the room I was allocated had a broken shower holder, broken light fittings, no toilet roll holder, no soap anywhere in the room, and I was allocated one thread bare bath towel. After settling into the room and discovering there was no soap in the room, I went downstairs to ask the attendant for some soap as I wanted to indulge in the plesure of a shower. Unfortunately the desk was unattended so I left the guesthouse in order to buy some soap. I don't waste money on extravagant accommodation so I know about budget accommodation. Number eight is now on my official "do not return" list. There is another hotel about 500 meters from number eight and for less money you get 2 towels, new soap every day, an in room fridge, television, excellent air-conditioning, daily maid service, tea and coffee making facilities etc. Look at your other options if you're seeking accommodation around the Bukit Bintang area of Kuala Lumpur. There is vastly better value available elsewhere. Oh and the high speed wi-fi moves at the speed of a geriatric snail!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank MurrayRussell

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
New Delhi, India
Reviewed January 5, 2011

We stayed four nights - 2 in the shared bathrooms, and 2 in the ensuite bathrooms . . . the places was very dirty (stains on the sheets, rooms very smelly, the showers and bathrooms gross, the blankets on the beds - well we just put ours under that bed - hopefully they washed it before the next people came) and was extremely loud. The breakfast was white bread and some fruit. Definitely not worth the price and DEFINITELY NOT as described in the LP or in another guide book.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends

Travelers are raving about these Kuala Lumpur hotels

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed December 24, 2010

After reading about bedbugs we were very hesitant but found the number 8 guesthouse to be really good. A great location, clean room (definitely no bed bugs) and great staff. Our room faced onto the street so was a bit noisy but we would stay here again without hesitation.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank PaulineandEuan
Ubud, Indonesia
Reviewed December 11, 2010

Ok, to be honest, we also had problems with the bedbugs the first night. But this may not always be the fault of a dirty room. Even backpackers can bring it along. After my complaints they got another room for us. We did not asked for it but they told us that we didn't have to pay the first night. The next day we saw that the room was completely cleaned and for two days they didn't rent it before new guests were allowed. We stayed here a total of 12 days without any problems. After our stay in Langkawi, we have booked again and at this moment we are here again for 6 days at this nice place. So it's not all negative !!!!!!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Rene B
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed November 6, 2010

I was very disappointed with this place. I stayed one night. Very shabby and the room (double with ensuite) was dingy, the air conditioning wasn't working and the shower recess was mouldy and dirty. If it wasn't so hot, I wouldn't have had a shower. And I was bitten by bed bugs all night. A terrible night. Couldn't wait to get away from the place. Wildy overpriced too at 135 ringitts.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 26, 2010

We were really disappointed by this place. Shabby, we could have put up with, but the number of things that were broken or grubby was disappointing (just by way of example: broken shower holder, broken door between bathroom and loo, broken tap).

There was a leak outside our room from the ceiling, dripping in front of our door. We told someone, but he didn't seem to care and I think it had been there a while. The 'breakfast' that they say is included is just DIY toast & coffee & some pieces of browning apple & orange - not quite the exotic fruits we had elsewhere in Malaysia. Our DVD player was broken. We asked someone to fix it. He took a cursory look and left saying he would see if there was another one, but never came back.

Our sheets were threadbare and one looked grubby. Our room was extremely dark dark room with very poor lighting and curtains that didn't open unless you pinned them back or tucked them in a radiator. The TV was big but only 2 channels worked and were both Malay. In fact the only reason to turn the TV on was to give more light to the depressingly dark room. At least it did have air con though.

If we had been staying longer, we would have checked out & moved elsewhere. Lonely Planet's recommendation was unfortunately unfounded in our experience.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Singapore
Reviewed July 13, 2010

My friends and I booked two rooms here on a Saturday night after reading that it was the 'top pick' from Lonely Planet. What a disappointment. Staff were not very knowledgeable, but nice enough. Showers were scary, sheets were skimpy, lighting was terrible. Bring your own toilet paper. Breakfast was simple - fruit and white bread and coffee or tea. Do yourself a favour and book the Rain Forest Bed and Breakfast down the way. It's cheaper, charming and WAY WAY better.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends