“Good Location for Enjoying your stay at Kuala Lumpur”

Number Eight Guesthouse
Ranked #171 of 331 Kuala Lumpur B&B and Inns
bandung
“Good Location for Enjoying your stay at Kuala Lumpur”
Reviewed March 21, 2013

Stayed for 3 nites - The hotel is strategically located for hawker food (jalan alor best place for eat!), close from Monorail stasion, near from nightlife bar, I can walk to get petronas twin tower, and also near from shopping distric in kuala lumpur (bukit bintang). Its cozy, nice, clean, neat and good internet access (I can access internet wifi from my room).This place is amazing in every way. Overall, we enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed February 1, 2013

We live in KL and when we have guests we try to find accommodations close to our condo. We live in the Golden Triangle. I viewed a half dozen small guesthouses and chose #8 based on cleanliness , location, and price. The room we chose 813 is a double with in suite bath and toilet, it has two windows. The location is great two blocks from Jalan Changkat and Jalan Alor
Both streets know for their outdoor dinning and nightlife. The room was about $40 USD per night.

Room Tip: 813 is a good value, east facing second floor, two windows, in suite bath and toilet.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed January 20, 2013

I've stayed in loads of places on Tengkat Tong Shin and there are some real gems. Number 8 Guesthouse is *almost* one of them. It verges on boutique but doesn't quite have the quality, friendliness or style to be put in that bracket. That said, it's great value for money, especially if you don't mind sharing a bathroom. Tengkat Tong Shin (the road Number 8 is on) is an up and coming traveller area with more and more backpackers visiting each time I stay there. It's really close to some great restaurants both cheap and expensive, and the famous Bukit Bintang (shopping area) and is well placed to walk down to Chinatown if you fancy that too.

You won't be disappointed with a stay at number 8 - just don't expect a boutique hotel. Expect a nice standard of guesthouse with slightly bored staff.

Room Tip: Some don't have windows. Waking up in the dark is REALLY hard.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Natkinson7
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 4, 2013

Prior to visiting KL I had been in South East Asia to Singapore, Hong Kong, Tokyo and a few other Japanese cities. In KL I was looking for basic, convenient, not too expensive accommodation for a few days. Currently (January 2013) even with a relatively weak pound sterling I found KL to be a cheap place to visit. If you eat at one of the thousands of street restaurants (see photos) and travel by the extensive public transport one can get by on (not exactly) 10 dollars a day.

I chose Number Eight guesthouse because of the reviews on Trip Advisor.

I sent and received several emails to the guest house and in the end found it easiest to speak by phone directly to the staff.

Number Eight is in the Bukit Bintang area of Kuala Lumpur, which is easy to get to by monorail (once one has got from KL Sentral to KL Sentral monorail - see my KL review for info on current situation - Jan 2013 - which is being improved).

The Bukit Bintang area has many, many hotels and back-packer hostels and I think one could just turn up and find a place without booking - but I'm never brave enough to do that - I have to book weeks in advance to feel comfortable.

The receptiopn staff at Number Eight are welcoming. The place is a "hostel" but the age profle when I was there was definitely 30s and upward. It wasn't a party house when I was there. The courtyard double room I chose, for RM120, is basic. The room has a double bed with adjoining shower-room / toilet / wet room. The decor is "sparse". There was paper hanging from the ceiling, probably due to an an earlier water leak. The electrical wiring is stuck to the walls in plastic conduit, which is safe enough as a method but there are exposed power wires near the shower head (see photos) - which is alarming. I will send photos to Number Eight but don't expect anything to be done. The "window" of the room is a complete "patio" window which is great for letting in light but the lock is more of a "latch" which is no form of security. However, as the room is at the back of the building a thief would need to get through security to get the the room. I carried my valuables with me all day, which on a belt may have been no more secure! I didn't experience bed bugs as others have reported and I couldn't get access to the room until it had been cleaned - which I see as a good thing ! Check out is 12pm (noon) which is generous. Air conditioning in the room is effective but noisy. On the first night with the noise from air conditioning units from other rooms in the courtyard I had to sleep with my noise cancelling headphones ! I got used to the sound on the second night.

Breakfast consists of hard boiled eggs, bananas, white toast, strange tasting margerine, tea bags. If you want something more appealing, substantial and varied I strongly recommend Daily Kopitiam in the Pavilion shopping mall, about 10 minutes walk from Tengkat Tong Shing, the only reason to enter a shopping mall in my opinion. There are hundreds of very clean coffee shops around. You can get MacDonalds if you must. You can buy curried fish at 7am from a street seller for RM5 if you fancy that.

Now, all the above may be standard for most of South East Asia. I did have a good time in KL. The staff I met at Number Eight were nice, the cost wasn't exhorbitant for a westerner (me). A guest house is a good place to meet other and swap experiences and information. But for the cost I think one could do better in Bukit Bintang. Hopefully I'm realistic and I didnt expect the Radisson for RM120 per night. I looked in Green Hut, RAE and Alpha Genesis, all on Tengkat Tong Shing and I think for the same price the rooms are of a better standard than Number Eight.

Room Tip: Courtyard rooms have "patio doors" which are entirely glazed and no real security except f...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed December 29, 2012 via mobile

Stayed over Christmas and stayed in a private double which was very clean and nice. Lovely common area and the workers are very accommodating It's also the perfect location for the bars and clubs ! No complaints !

• Stayed December 2012
Edenton, North Carolina
Reviewed December 13, 2012

Number Eight hotel was clean, quiet and had all the necessities. Good internet, nice continental breakfast, and hot shower. The location is fine less that 15 minute walk to the transit station and very near out door cafe's and local 7-11 stores. I felt the staff to be helpful and good at giving directions. I had some difficulty coming from the Airport the express train does not easily mate with the local subway due to new construction, so you have to wander outside the train station to find the subway / metro station. There were many very very good cafe's near the hotel and alot of massage parlors...most were strictly massage ..ha.

Room Tip: ground level is easiest no elevator so carry your bags up flights is not cool.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Vence, France
Reviewed October 14, 2012

I spent one night there with a friend of mine as the place looked nice.. It was undergoing renovations so we could have a good price and we were happy it was so close to Jalan Alor.
As soon as laid on the bed, it started to itch real bad and could see all those little creatures attacking me. I was so shattered that night i fell asleep anyways but one hour later, i just couldn't stand it anymore.. I ended up sleeping on the floor (my friend was sleeping nicely... Apparently his mattress was infested yet). On the next morning, i checked the damages: my left pupil was so swollen, i couldn't wear my lenses, my back, arms and legs were like a battle field and i felt so so so tired.
Anyways, i referred this problem to the management, showing them the red patches so hopefully, there had been some improvements but as it's nearly impossible to get rid of bed bugs, i'd stay away from this place

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends